« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chicago Bears Star

Dies at 26

1/17/2010 2:02 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Gaines AdamsChicago Bears defensive end Gaines Adams died this morning in South Carolina. He was 26.

Adams was rushed to the emergency room at Self Regional Hospital in Greenwood, S.C. where he was pronounced dead at 9:00 AM, according to ESPN.

UPDATE: Greenwood County Coroner James T. Coursey said the preliminary autopsy performed Sunday indicated Adams died of cardiac arrest caused by an enlarged heart.

The Chicago Bears released a statement that says: "We are stunned and saddened by the news of Gaines' passing. Our prayers are with his family during this difficult time."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

jeff

steroids

stace

Hearts go out to his Family and Friends. So very sad and way too young.

The man passed away from cardiac arrest because he had an enlarged heart, I doubt it was because of perscription abuse.

Jennifer G

How did the team doctor not find an enlarged heart? If that is really the cause of death shouldn't it have been picked up?

teri

WHY DON'T THESE OWNER OF THESE PRO TEAMS, HAVE ALL THEIR MEMBER HAVE A FULL BODY SCANS DONE. SO THEY CAN SAVE LIVES?

Dave

So when wrestlers die at young age 'steroids' get plastered all over the place, in any other sport it's 'tragic' ... the heart grows too when you jack yourself up... eventually BOOM.

poopdick

what a loss..he had such a big heart..lol I had to do it.

Ali

#14 You wont be a great loss either when you die. Saying something like that is so callous, cold and uncaring. Life will net out to you what you dish out!

Connie

...NO GREAT LOSS?....a human being has died here...where is your compassion?

stace

@ #25 & 27,
My mistake, I had no idea that steriods could enlarge a person's heart.

MindyD

RIP Gaines

Old Enough

My prayers and sympathy to Adams' family, friends and teammates.

t.

It does not mean steroids if its an enlarged heart. Even with full body scans enlarged hearts can easily be missed it can be just one valve just slightly enlarged to cause fatal problems

IKnowItAll

These morons jack themselves up on HGH and other "natural" supplements that the NFL doesn't test for, they're dropping like flies and we're supposed to feel sorry for these idiots who died before their multi-million dollar salaries paid off? I'll save my sympathy for the victims of Haiti, thanks.

I BE DARNELL

S T E R O I D S / K I L L !

dee

It doesn't sound like pain killers. It sounds like steroids.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments