TMZ Poll Apparently Hacked - Conan the Bad Guy

1/18/2010 9:27 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The Conan O'Brien, Jay Leno, Jeff Zucker poll we put up -- Who's the Bad Guy? -- has been hacked ... according to some people who work over at NBC.

There has indeed been a seismic shift over the last few hours. Here are the facts:

9:30
AM ET today -- Only 5% of users voted for Conan. Zucker was in the lead. Jay was second.

7:20 PM ET. A huge turnaround. Conan is the bad guy, with 40%. And, the number of people who have voted exploded in the last two hours -- it went from just over 200,000 to 547,000.

A cynical NBC source scoffs at the tampering allegation, telling TMZ, "NBC couldn't get it together fast enough to know how to do that."

We're checking to see if the poll has been hacked.

UPDATE: 8:42 PM ET THE POLL IS GOING CRAZY!!! With nearly a million votes, Zucker now leads with 49%. Jay is second with 26%. Conan has 25%.

UPDATE 11:42 PM ET More than 2 million votes.

excretive producer

Damn, another Zucker-Silverman conspiracy. Follow the money!

5 cent

Seriously.... WHO CARES? Zucker is an idiot and everyone knows it. No stupid poll needs to prove it.

And, BTW: If Conan's show was actually working, none of this would be happening. Letterman is killing him and we all know Letterman hasn't been funny in 15 years.

Anonymous

fyi, dan, we did not start this and the poll has not been hacked. not by us anyway.

Dave in MN

I noticed this too. I suspect some interns were put to work.

Jim

I voted Leno the bad guy!

Sam

This is why TMZ should restrict it to one vote per IP, that'd at least deter the attack. Otherwise, it is ridiculously easy to create a script that automatically votes, refreshes, and votes again continuously. That is what happened here, not a hack but a simple script probably ran by a few.

Jessica

zucker's an idiot

Stella

I`m a letterman fan, I think he is the best hands down but I think Conan is funnier than Leno and a nicer guy. Leno is a jerk.

mikesay98

ZuckerIzaCreep

Aww now that the poll isn't going the way that Zucker and his buddies at TMZ.com PLANNED that it would they are crying foul. No surprise there, the media are a bunch of manipulative conniving liars anyway and Zucker is @ the top of that heap!

ginn

I don't understand why Leno became the bad guy when it was Conan that lost his mojo when he moved to the 11:35 slot. Of course NBC wanted to return Leno to the 11:35 time.

kech22

I voted for Conan over 50 times today...It never changed...I think you finnally got it right.....Letterman is funner than Conan and that tells you something....

Shane

the funny thing is I asked this question for todays TMZ live questions. I was just kidding about it!

" last night on your "bad guy poll" conan had 5% of the votes. checking
in this afternoon he is at 33%. what the hell happened. did nbc hack
your poll? lol."

holmgren

i was wondering what the hell happened...