NBC Gives Conan O'Brien the Reruns

1/21/2010 2:18 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

NBC execs are seriously considering keeping Conan O'Brien on the air after Friday -- in reruns.

NBC Gives Conan O'Brien the Reruns

Sources tell us the Network doesn't want to introduce a new host for the few weeks leading up to the Olympics. So NBC's plan A -- cherry picking shows from Conan's vault.

Here's the "screw you" part of the equation -- NBC can pick shows in which Conan does not trash the network and does not appear bitter. NBC is hoping the animosity between Conan and NBC will fade a bit.

king

I will not forget. I'm letting each of Leno's Tonight Show sponsors know that I will boycott their products as long as they continue to advertise on "his" show.

J

I get it--a lot of you people don't think Conan is funny and didn't watch him. I, respectfully, disagree with you. Leno is nothing more than a standup comedian. The rest of his show is pitifully boring.

And you're right, if the Coco group would've tuned in more, then NBC has a tougher time replacing him.

However, you're all missing the main point, and quite frankly are listening to the NBC spin on this. This whole thing went down partly because of Conan's low ratings, but mainly because Jay Leno's show was such a flop at that time slot that the local affiliates were ready to revolt. And, you know something else, Conan is right--he didn't get the support due to both low ratings for Leno and the local news. So NBC can blame Conan all they want and call him an utter failure or whatever, but the reality is the whole idea of moving Leno to 10 was stupid in the first place. They had 5 years to figure out how to rectify the problem, and they did nothing. Now they are left with egg on their face.

I, for one, will not watch Leno. And not just because I don't like his show, but because this whole thing was just preposterous and so poorly managed by all parties that I can't respect NBC. It's pretty sad when Conan, the guy ripping NBC a new one every night, comes off as potentially the upstanding one...

Debby

The animosity between Conan and NBC may fade but those of us who think Conan didn't get a fair chance of more than 7 months will think of all of this and not want to watch the Tonight Show after Conan leaves the show! For Conan, he will get lots of money but the viewers who support Conan won't soon forget all of this and we sure don't want to go back to boring Jay Leno and his insulting so called jokes. I look forward to seeing Conan on another network, whatever it will be!

Jay

I'll be SO glad when Conan goes the f*ck away. He's made such a mess of all of this, throwing a tantrum. I don't get the people here who worship him after what he's done. I loved him also, but he's shown his true colors with this; a spoiled, rich, entitled celebrity sitting on tens of millions of dollars while the rest of the country suffers with unemployment, and yet he has the nerve to bitch? Good riddance to the trash he is! I dislike Leno but hope he kills Conan in the ratings once they're both back on TV.

Ricky

A. CNN isn't even talking about this breaking news, imagine that. B. TMZ has decided to report POLITICAL NEWS now that the blue lipped, big eared Marxist is in office. Scroll up to the top of the page and roll your courser over "NEWS" and see what appears. POLITICS!!! So get off your soapbox, moron. TMZ is a liberal propaganda hack site, plain and simple.

Posted at 1:19PM on Jan 21st 2010 by keke

Oh, god... you're one of THOSE people...

So let's get this address really quick. CNN has been covering this "breaking news" today. Unfortunately, those heartless bastards at CNN would rather prefer to cover other more important news on the front page... 9:30 EST for your information is when they had it posted up.

And did you ever both reading what is actually under "politix"? Let's just mention a few of the hard hitting stories that TMZ is covering... Who would you rather? Billy or 'Bama? Reagan's Grandson arrested. WOW! That's really the kind of information I seek out when I want to inform myself of politics.

And again, if you see TMZ as a "liberal blah, blah, blah," then why are you even here?

TMZ is entertainment! Get over yourself...

::sigh:: super tired of these morons in the world.

socalifbabe2001

Farewell (for now) rally Friday in Los Angeles. I know some people plan on showing up about 2ish. I plan on being there around that time and maybe staying until a little after show taping is over. As someone in the FB discussion board suggested, we could bring handwritten notes or cards. I think that's cool. Someone also... suggested candles to light at night. My son wants to bring some glow sticks..

craig

All the late night loons have been pissing on Jay because he will crush them in the ratings. Jay treats his audience with intelligence, not toilet humor. If don't like Jay's humor fine don't watch him.

Welcome back Jay we sure missed you.

whybedumb

Janet

The big baby has his money now. Get rid of him, reruns included!

majortom1981

The sole reason why conan got bad ratings was because of leno. I did not watch conan because of lenos show. I switched to another channel and kept that channel on til l230 when i switched it to craig fergusons show.

I watched conans show in bits and pieces. NBC is blaming the wrong person. without conan after leno and keeping jimmy fallon there they will lose a lot of people.

Leno + fallon is WAY WORSE then letterman and ferguson.

Chris

Conan O'Brien is the George Lazenby of the Tonight Show.
Conan O'Brien is the New Coke of the Tonight Show.

Jay will be back where he belongs, and I really wish they would air Jay's show in the 11:35 Tonight Show slot this Friday night, after allowing Conan to tape his final show, then burning it.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Why no news of John Edwards? Hmm....I wonder....

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Yeah, slapping it on the website for a few minutes is really the same thing as discussing it on their TV STATIONS!!! Get real, moron. And yes, all the examples you listed on the political section prove the point. They are either praising, complimenting the kooks, or they are reporting obscure, random stories that reflect badly to Republicans. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the writing on the wall, but then again, you are a douchebag Commie, so go figure.

John Edwards was nearly elected VICE PRESIDENT!!! If a Republican that was almost elected VP had done this it would be all over TMZ and you know it.

Jill Kennedy

I think the media is now going to focus on Letterman vs. Leno - who will win the late night ratings war?

I'm thinking Leno wins in the long term.

joe

WHAT YOU ARE SEEING AT NBC IS ONE OF THE GREATEST NON PLANNED PUBLICITY EVENTS IN BROADCAST. ITS LIKE A SHOW UNTO ITSELF.THIS SITUATION IS NOT DONE WITH CONAN LEAVING, ITS ONLY THE BEGINNING.CONON GETS AS HIGH AS 40 MILLION SOME SAY TO WALK. WHATEVER IT WAS, HE WALKED. NOW HE HAS THAT MONEY IN HIS POCKET AND A GREAT SHOT AT BEING BACK AT 11.30 OPPOSITE LENO WITH MILLIONS IN HIS POCKET. I DONT FEEL TO MUCH SYMPATHY FOR HIM.I WOULD IMAGINE LENO IS NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE CONON LOYALS WHO OPPOSE HIM. THEY DONT WATCH HIM ANYWAY.ITS ACTUALLY COMIC RELIEF TO COMMENT ON SUCH THINGS WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY REAL IMPORTANT THINGS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD. JOE CAPRIO

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments