'Pants on the Ground' Guy:

Show Me the Money!

1/21/2010 8:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0120_larry_platt_getty_ex-1"General" Larry Platt -- the musical mastermind behind "Pants on the Ground" -- hasn't seen a dime since everyone and their mother started singing his tune ... and now he's lawyering up in the hopes of finally raking in some cash.

Platt tells TMZ he loves the countless parodies and remixes of his tune -- but says since he's the one who wrote the greatest song ever created about pants being on the ground ... he's the one who should be getting paid.

Problem is Platt never copyrighted the song ... so he's looking to hire an attorney to help him snag a slice of the "Pants" craze while he can.

For the record, Platt has seen Brett Favre's renditionand liked it ... and if Brett's up for it, Platt would love to get Brett on board for a duet.

John

p.s. -- to the poster who actually believes, in spite of 99.999999% of the evidence, that Troy Davis is guilty, all I can say is I hope you don't breed, and pass your 55 IQ onto another generation.

tiv

Fibb its not Simons show hate to tell you It Simon Fullers show !!!

niles

You're great, General, but I'm afraid your time is just about up. I wouldn't quit your day job (if you have one).

Christie

To posting #10 Julie. After reading your post I am really curiuos to know more about this Troy Davis and this killing. If this is true about the sticker, I would love to see what the general has to say about Troy and why he feels he should be free. Does he know him; does he think he may really be innocent? I do not know of this case, but I am going to try to find out more. I am from SC and am surprized that I haven't heard of this before. Also, I will keep officer MacPhail's family in my prayers.

Christie

I meant *curious*

satanicfeminist

"Ya brother, milk your fifteen minutes for all you can get."

pimpdaddy

What a total ass! Enuf..ridiculous fo' sho'.

bebefj123

@#2 exactly. It was copyrighted in front of the whole USA. Anyone else would have to prove they copyrighted it before the song was recorded. This is what happened to alot people that were too poor and not aware of the laws, especially black artist and inventors that had their ideas stolen. Another way is to write the song/invention down and mail it back to yourself and keep unsealed for your records so the postal date can help. Think this song and public opinion would help to decrease this trend so young people will try to express themselves another way or make improvements on the style. He put into words what most of us have thought. At least its not a racist law that tries to lock the youth away for sagging.

bebefj123

@ #10 with the Free Troy Davis comment, Some people on death row or in jails are innocent and have been put in jail for crimes they truly did not commit and convictions overturned and on the other hand you have some cops that have killed innocent people and did not do jail time for it because of racist corruption. Sure pray for the officer, but also pray that the right man is convicted and sentenced to die and not someone who may be truly innocent and the real criminal is free! Why do you think he was granted a stay if there was not some doubt there? People can look up the info on :http://www.troyanthonydavis.org/ and http://www.iacenter.org/actions/tdavis102108/ and other sites.
There is a video of a cop that stopped 2 black men in GA. Both were faced down and handcuffed. The video shows a cop walking around to one of the men, bending down, and then places the gun to his head and shoots the man. That family is still fighting for justice and this occurred years ago and cant even find it in a google search because no one cares about victims on the other side of the badge. It goes both ways folks, all cops are not innocent and all convicts are not quilty.

LA

My friend Troy is innocent. Police and prosecutorial misconduct, incompetent defense, witness recantations, this case had it all.

Jimbo

This guy loses. The song is most likely owned by American idol. I'm pretty sure he signed away rights on the contract to appear on the show. This is how any TV show works.
At least, anyone could use his voice, with permission of FOX and he would not get a dime.

Always have something to sell before you go on American Idol. This dude screwed up. He may still make a little bit of money.

Hel

That song was the most annoying thing I have seen of AI

judi

that was a song? haha everyone will do anything for a buck these days.

NEWYORKER32

DON'T PAY HIM A DIME HE IS AN IDIOT. I AGREE PULL THE PANTS UP!!! BUT THE POINT BEING IS EVEN THE THUGS AND IDIOTS WITH THEIR PANTS DOWN WOULD HAVE ENOUGH COMMON SENSE BEFORE AI AIRED TO FIND THE TIME AFTER SELLING DRUGS, WHINING ABOUT HOW EVERYONE "DON ME WRUNG" AND SHOOTING EACH OTHER THEY WOULD HAVE DROVE THEIR STOLEN CARS DOWNTOWN AND DID WHAT THEY HAD TO DO WITH LAWYERS AND SUCH AND THEN PROBABLY PAY FOR IT WITH MONEY THEY STOLE FOR THERE MAMMAAAS!!! BUT THINK WHEN HE GETS PAID HE CAN GO BUY SOME NEW RIMS FOR HIS DEVILLE!!

dug

#19 - you are so wrong and you obviously aren't a good lecture man! Because you create something doesn't mean a thing. If that were the case, why does everyone that develops/creates something new to get rewarded for it - have to go to a patent lawyer? Because you have to! I can't go out and make a snuggie and call it a snuggy... they would say it's to close to the snuggie. Now, that wouldn't be true, because I developed and created the snuggy - so why shouldn't I get paid? There are laws, follow it, live it, learn it. There are songs that are played that closely resemble other songs that have a few different notes.. well, it's theirs, they created it... but the artist who it closely resembles the song will fight it in court, even though it's not titled the same name and has a different beat... hmmmm see it, know it, learn it...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments