The 'Lost' Diary -- LA X, Parts 1 & 2

2/3/2010 2:17 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

LostDaniel from TMZ here, welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

I love making lists -- Top 10 This, 20 Favorite That -- and I am often asked to rank my favorite television shows of all-time. And every time I do, I leave "Lost" off entirely. See, I can't possibly judge "Lost" until it's over. The final season will dictate how I view the entire series forever. If the final season blows, I will feel like I wasted six years of my life. If it delivers, I will feel completely vindicated. So for me, tonight's episode is the beginning of how I will remember "Lost" the rest of my life.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I plan on watching the final season of "Lost" with as many new people as possible this season, but tonight I am going old school -- just me and Ari.

Let's roll ...

9:00 -- I just watched an hour-long show that was essentially a "Previously on 'Lost'" -- do I need more?

9:01 -- Jack is back on Oceanic Flight 815 as we are, essentially, re-living the crash again (stewardess and all).

9:02 -- Will the plane crash this time?

9:03 -- "Looks like we made it." -- Barry Manilow, I mean Jack.

9:04 -- Am I wrong to think the plane still might crash? And what's the deal with the cut on Jack's neck? Where'd that come from?

9:05 -- That's weird -- Desmond is on the plane. Desmond wasn't on Oceanic 815. Why is Desmond on the plane?

9:06 -- Cue the creepy Tim Burton music as the camera whips around to show us the four-toed statue ... underwater.

9:10 -- Kate's eyes open only to find her hanging from a tree, ears ringing. Do not adjust the volume on your television.

9:11 -- Kate wanders around the jungle till she finds Miles. How many times do people on "Lost" wake up with no clue where they are? Once a week?

9:12 -- "We're back." So Jack is off the island, but Kate isn't. Interesting.

9:13 -- Ok, Jack really is on the island. Was the first scene just a dream? Damn you, clever "Lost" writers!!!

9:14 -- Jack was wrong about everything, it would appear, and Sawyer is not happy since Juliet was blown up by the bomb. Or was she?

9:15 -- Jack is back on the plane again. If you were wondering the first time I suffered a "Lost"-induced migraine in 2010, the correct answer was 9:15.

9:16 -- Back on the plane, Sawyer hears that Hurley is a lottery winner and he made that "I'm a con man and I am about to do con man things" face.

9:17 -- "I am the luckiest guy alive." -- Hurley. Of course he is -- no hatch, no numbers, no bad luck. But then ... how did he come up with the numbers to win the lottery in the first place. Second "Lost" induced migraine coming ... now.

9:18 -- Juliet is crying for help and now Jack and company are digging through rubble.

9:19 -- Sayid doesn't look good. Someone's in the woods -- my money is on Boone.

9:20 -- Nope, it's Jacob.

9:22 -- Back on Oceanic 815, Sun and Jin are chatting it up. Remember -- this is pre-plane crash Jin, so he's kind of an a-hole.

9:23 -- "If this plane goes down in the ocean way out here, I think our chances of survival are exactly zero." -- Boone.

9:24 -- Boone is on the plane, but Shannon isn't. Is that supposed to be right? And Locke went on his walkabout -- only he never crashed on the island, so he should still be in a wheelchair. Headache #3.

9:25 -- "If this thing goes down, I'm sticking with you." -- Boone.

9:26 -- Ben seems a little broken up about killing Jacob. Remorse? From Ben? Doesn't feel right.

9:27 -- Seeing Locke's body in the casket makes Ben make the same face I have been making for the last 20 minutes. Seeing as Locke is inside the temple AND in a casket, from now on I will be referring to Locke as Not-Locke, since it clearly isn't him and is instead the guy from the beach last season.

9:31 -- The search for Juliet continues.

9:32 -- "Your friend Jin won't be able to see me ... Because I died an hour ago." -- Jacob. Well duh.

9:33 -- So Hurley has to take Sayid to the temple and bring the guitar case with him. When Hurley asked Jacob "Who are you?" for a split second I thought he was going to say "Batman."

9:34 -- I'm going to say it -- I hope Juliet dies. If a giant bomb goes off, someone should die. Even on "Lost."

9:35 -- Since the plane didn't crash, Charlie got to do his beloved heroin ... and promptly OD'd.

9:39 -- Here I am, rooting for Charlie to die again. Just like old times.

9:40 -- "Yeah, you're alive." -- Jack to Charlie.

9:41 -- Sawyer and Juliet get the dramatic reunion music usually reserved for Desmond and Penny.

9:44 -- Jack says there is "nothing I can do for him (Sayid)" which gives Hurley the green light for Operation Temple.

9:47 -- The Not-Locke version of the Smoke Monster kicks ass.

9:48 -- "I'm sorry you had to see me like that." -- Not-Locke

9:52 -- "I have to tell you something, it's really important ..." -- Juliet. Fantastic timing.

9:53 -- RIP Juliet.

9:54 -- "You did this." -- Sawyer. Was he talking to me? Cause I only wrote I wanted Juliet dead, I didn't actually kill her.

9:55 -- "I was supposed to die." -- Charlie. Yes, yes you were.

9:56 -- Did Jack imagine Desmond?

9:56 -- As we begin our final descent into Los Angeles, I am reminded of all the people we could have seen on the plane -- Shannon, Michael, Walt, Ana Lucia, Mr. Eko, and Libby. If they all were shown, the GUEST STARRING credits at the beginning of the show would have lasted 15 minutes.

9:57 -- Soft music, slow motion montage ...

9:59 -- And Locke's wheelchair. Guess he lied about the walkabout.

10:04 -- "It's not a guitar, man." -- Hurley. Um, what?

10:05 -- "Jack Shephard, please go to the nearest courtesy desk." What are the odds his dad's coffin has gone missing.

10:06 -- "We're not exactly sure where it is." -- Oceanic guy.

10:07 -- Operation Temple encountered a brief obstacle (giant wall), but seems to be moving along well.

10:09 -- WHISPER WHISPER WHISPER and now Kate's gone.

10:10 -- WHISPER WHISPER WHISPER and now everyone is captured.

10:11 -- "Guess we found the temple." -- Hurley

10:15 -- Kate needs to go to the bathroom, no doubt to plot her escape. Poorly.

10:16 -- Kate escapes.

10:18 -- Sawyer is burying Juliet. Guess she really is dead. I feel kinda guilty.

10:19 -- Sawyer wants Miles to tell him what Juliet was trying to tell him before she died.

10:20 -- "It worked." -- Miles. Ok, so is it possible everyone is on the island ... AND off the island? Headache #4.

10:21 -- "They were on the first plane." -- Stewardess. She's had more lines tonight than in the previous five seasons combined.

10:22 -- "Jacob sent us!" -- Hurley

10:25 -- "Hey, excuse me. I carried that case across the ocean and, like, through time. I want to know what that paper says." -- Hurley.

10:29 -- So what are the odds Sun bolts now that she's in Los Angeles? That was her original plan, right?

10:30 -- "No english." -- Sun

10:31 -- The Temple's hot tub seems to be broken and isn't healing people properly.

10:34 -- RIP Sayid? That can't be right.

10:35 -- No, seriously -- that can't be right. Not Sayid. I don't even remember how he got shot in the first place.

10:40 -- Kate continues her escape. I always find myself rooting against her. Which isn't saying much -- she always gets captured.

10:42 -- Claire? I completely forgot about her.

10:43 -- Creepy Asian Guy totally speaks English.

10:44 -- "Cause he's dead. What, you guys didn't know?" -- Hurley

10:46 -- "Let's not resort to name calling." -- Not-Locke.

10:47 -- Hearing Not-Locke talk about Locke is kinda like hearing someone deliver their own eulogy.

10:48 -- "I want to go home." -- Not-Locke

10:51 -- "Goodbye, dude. If you ever want to talk, I'm around." -- Hurley to Sayid.

10:52 -- Seeing Locke and Jack together brings back Season 2 memories.

10:53 -- "They didn't lose your father, they just lost his body." -- Locke

10:54 -- "Nothing's irreversible." -- Jack

10:56 -- "I'm seeing it, but I'm still not believing it." -- Lawnmower Man.

10:57 -- "It's good to see you out of those chains." -- Not-Locke. Apparently Richard and Not-Locke have a long history.

10:59 -- Back at the temple, everyone is bummed out about Juliet and Sayid dying. Tough afternoon for the Losties.

11:00 -- "What happened?" -- Sayid

Season 1 of "Lost" has always been a bit of a conundrum to me. On one hand, it's the consensus best season (not sure if I agree, but I think it's a fair choice). On the other hand, if someone told you they were about to start watching "Lost" and they wanted to skip one season and still be able to figure out what's going on, they could skip Season 1, right?

I mean -- no Others, no hatches, no Jacob, no Ben, no Richard, no Desmond, no time travel. In a weird way, it's like it's own separate show.

But it's taken us all the way until Season 6, but we're back to a Season 1 type of story -- the What If Oceanic 815 Didn't Crash universe. It's just a bunch of characters, that we have grown to love, living normal lives (a la the flashbacks from Seasons 1 and 2). If you loved Season 1, you are no doubt loving this half of "Lost" -- the Flashsideways, as I believe they are being called.

So let's focus on the 815 universe, because I don't think I am ready to tackle what's going on on the island. Desmond is on the plane, they lost Christian (and Locke's knives), Charlie tried to swallow heroin rather than flush it, Sun hates Jin, Claire isn't going to give birth to her baby in a jungle and Hurley has good luck (think that's all the differences, off the top of my head, for now).

I've always said certain episodes get graded differently than others, season premieres being one of them. I give this episode a B+. It didn't knock me over with crazy revelations, but it set up Season 6 in an amazing way -- which, considering how high the stakes are, is pretty damn impressive.

instafed

I was bored and confused and I am not very easily confused. Most people are probably shaking their heads at what just happened. They really presented a lot more questions than answers. I was really excited to see lost but after the premiere, not so much now.

shauna

im so confused but, your blog helped. THANKS!

Andrea

I saw the premiere on the beach in Waikiki, and they showed this great sequence with a female voice-over that basically summed up the entire story until the time this episode started. It was really funny, clever and all that. Does anyone know where I can find that blog because I heard this woman does it weekly. Wish they showed it last night, I had told my husband about it! Oh, and seeing all the stars in one place (other than when they shop in our Whole Foods) was AWESOME!

Kellin

I hadn't heard about flash-sideways...I was thinking of them as flash-parallels

jen

Thanks. This Lost Diary is the only reason I am on TMZ. You do a great job.
I loved last night show!

Anon

I'm so happy to see Lost back, I'm happily rolling with it. Also relieved about Sayid, he's my favorite.

Andrea

@ Pookie, many of the characters have transformed (Jin, Sawyer, Locke etc.) Their experiences on the island have changed them dramatically.

The season premiere was great. I almost don't want to watch it so that at the end I can just watch them back to back.

Im not inclined to think that Sayid is now Jacob...why would he say "what happened"? If it was Jacob, then he would have know what the hell just happened.
Im excited to see how it all unfolds.

So so

Kelli - I can see that for sure!!

Donna

Apparently the H-bomb splintered time and they will have to find a way to fuse it back, then pick their future. If you don't love/like LOST why are you talking to us?

JustMe

I was a bit confused about this episode, however it did answer quite a few questions, but raised some others. It's nice that the "smoke monster" question was answered. We now know who and what it is but it also brings up questions as to how it "judges" people. Remember that Locke looked into it and saw that it was "beautiful", others looked into it and saw a nightmare - before they were torn into little bits and pieces. It also "judged" Ben for his past (evil) actions and decided he was an ok guy - ok enough to kill Jacob anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guys in the temple are from the "Black Rock" ship and that Richard is one of them. Apparently the simmering "hot tub" they drowned Sayid in is some type of healing, eternal life type of pool. It had turned brown around the time that Jacob died which is why they knew that something was wrong but didn't know what. I think they are also part of Jacob's "army" since they went into battle mode once they found out Jacob was dead. They started to lay down a line of ash around the temple, like the cabin was in previous seasons. I guess the intent was to keep the "smoke monster" out but for what purpose?

I think the entire purpose of the island is to keep the "smoke monster" trapped there, locked away from humanity for whatever reason. I think it's his prison and all he wants to do is escape. Jacob is his jailor and that's why he wants Jacob dead. But I'm still uncertain as to who the true "bad guy" might be. The smoke monster can manipulate people and events for their own purpose but so can Jacob. They just seem to do it in different ways.

JLynne

Great post as usual - missed this and you and LOST.
So glad all are back!!
Good ep, i was happy. Glad to see Boone, but noted all the differences too...can't wait to see how this plays out!

HL

I can't believe people are saying that they are NOW confused and NOW hate the show. The entire series has been confusing...that is the beauty of it. They answer one question, and bring up a whole mess of other questions. It is supposed to be confusing, people. It forces you to use your imagination. I love not knowing what exactly is going on right! I love the mystery of it all!

I totally agree about not having to watch season 1. I started with season 2. I eventually went back and watched season 1, but it was not necessary.

As far as the 815 differences, you forgot about Boone being in the plane and Shannon remaining in Australia.

nuggets fan

the Non Locke is either Charles whitmore or is that dude that was sitting with jacob as they watched the ship on the horizon

Stacie

Sayid is now Ben is that right- I mean last season they showed Ben being taken to the whole in the wall.......so.....If so then Sayid can kill Bad Locke. Which stands to reason, he is a trained killer and all.

As for the island being under water and everyone in two places at once......not sure yet.

It was a good show- best to record it then watch and fastforward through the commericals though!!

Can't wait till next week!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments