'Deadliest Catch' Captain -- No More Tubes

2/6/2010 2:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Captain Phil Harris, the badass star of "Deadliest Catch," is making serious progress in his recovery from last week's stroke -- dude is finally breathing on his own.

According to a source close to the family, doctors are "extremely impressed" with Harris' progress.

Harris had been using breathing tubes to help circulate oxygen through his body since he went down while unloading crabs from the F/V Cornelia Marie -- but we're told as of Friday, the tubes have all been removed.

We're told Harris is also regaining feeling in the left side of his body -- which had gone numb after the stroke. His motor skills are also returning to normal. Perhaps the best sign -- Harris has been talking a lot lately ... even dropping a few of his trademark cuss bombs here and there.

We're told Harris and his family have been continuously charting a recovery course with doctors and he hopes to get home ASAP.

jill92802

Yay, Phil! Keep going, y'old seadog you! :) We love you, Phil!
Mike and Jill in SoCal

AmA

Remember our angels are always with us...and they love us so much...Take care,God bless you,God loves us...My prayers are with you and the family...What wonderful news....

Dick Hurtz

Please die already you filthy uneducated, chain smoking redneck. While you're at it, please ram all the other boats on that stupid show and make the Bering Sea a graveyard for mental retardation. God you are a retard as are the rest of the "boat captains." Does anyone who graduated from junior high watch this $hit?

vicki

Captain Phil,My Whole family wishes you the best,I am just amazed every time I watch you and your family and at how you all bond with each other.May God bless you and we hope for your speedy recovery.

Belladonna

Love Capt. Phil! He and his crew have always been my favorite. I swear that man is not going to go until the sea takes him!! Yes, my guilty pleasure is watching Deadliest Catch.

JAN

Mooie vent R.I.P

Capt. Jim & Shea: FL

Godspeed Capt.Phil. Our prayers are with the boys and your family.
We'll send out a prayer in our territory ( Gulf of Mexico) to carry onto you and your spirit.

Patrick Veber

It is with great sadness that I write this message. Even though I never had the honor of meeting Phil or his sons they have been a great part of my family from the very beginning. My sorrow is with the family and friends of a great man. GOD SPEED PHIL HARRIS

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3