'Deadliest Catch' Captain Dies

2/10/2010 11:09 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

'Deadliest Catch' Captain DiesCaptain Phil Harris -- star of Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" -- died about an hour ago* ... sources tell TMZ.

Harris was hospitalized a few weeks ago after suffering a stroke while unloading crabs. He had been doing better until the sudden turn.

Captain Harris died in a hospital in Alaska. He was 53.

Harris' kids, Jake and Josh, tell TMZ, "It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad, Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers."

*This post originally went up last night at 11:45 PM ET

Captain Phil Harris

Heather

RIP Captain Phil...you will be missed by many

dreams may come true

After all the things that Phil has fought so hard to recover from and to hear that he his no longer with us, makes me very sad. I wish the family and friends of Phil the best as they come to terms with his passing. God Bless and always remember that Phil was a very spunky, chain-smoking, straight-to-the-point man.

Andrew

My condolences go out to the Harris family. RIP Phil Harris :(
BTW, last week on Feb. 3, actress Frances Reid passed away. Why are you snubbing certain celebs who pass away? Your focus is more on reality stars that pass away rather than the passing of ledgendary icons.

Helen K

My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this tragic time May Phil rest in peace. He will definitely be missed

Anita Coffman

My prayers are with the Harris boys at this time. Of all the skippers on "Deadliest Catch", I liked Phil the best. May he rest in peace.

Brandie

Omg...I can't believe it. I thought he was getting better:( My prayers go out to his family and friend. RIP Captain.

michael

R.I.P. PHIL

its me

this is sad but why hasent tmz put jeff conways death on here yet??
i been reading about it all over the place

shayc

rip phil... my thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Kimberley in New Zealand

Oh no!! Thats sucks so bad :-(

mike

wow I am really surprised,,, usually when you drink a case of red bull and smoke four packs of smokes a day you live to at least a hundred...

Hussie

WOW!!!
And WOW again!!!
What a tragedy that Phil had to leave us so soon...His dedication to his profession was unwavering, and his true love of his job showed in each episode...
I hope that he is sitting by his Savior, looking down on us all and smiling...I hope that his passing serves as a lesson to others that things can change drastically in an instant, and we should all appreciate every moment we are granted...
I hope that his family and friends take solace in the knowledge that Phil isn't suffering anymore, and he's definitely quit smoking...
And I hope that his legacy will live long past us all, "cuss bombs" and everything...

Ashley

I an very sadden by this news. He was my favorit on the show. He seemed not to care about the camras being there. He would chew you a new A** if you did some thing worng or did something not to his likeing. As for you boy's Jake and Josh. I know it's hard right now but stay strong. Remeber he will be watching over you. My heart goes out to all of yall. RIP CAPT. PHIL.

Mayu

:~(( R.I.P. Captian. You'll be missed!!!

Jenn

Whenever they lose one of their guys at sea, it's heart wrenching. It's easy to feel like you're connected with the crew, the captains, their families.... b/c a lot of us know what it's like to sit home and wonder, but most not for that long. Fortunately, for the majority of us, we dont have our husbands, sons, brothers, fathers, uncles, or cousins out there doing something like what Phil and his brethren, and we are empathetic for the ones at home who wait patiently for phone calls or boats or choppers to come home (may the gods will it) with their loved ones well.... This is a blow that's surprising. My deepest condolences extend to his family, friends, and brothers at sea.