'Deadliest Catch' Captain Dies

2/10/2010 11:09 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

'Deadliest Catch' Captain DiesCaptain Phil Harris -- star of Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" -- died about an hour ago* ... sources tell TMZ.

Harris was hospitalized a few weeks ago after suffering a stroke while unloading crabs. He had been doing better until the sudden turn.

Captain Harris died in a hospital in Alaska. He was 53.

Harris' kids, Jake and Josh, tell TMZ, "It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad, Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers."

*This post originally went up last night at 11:45 PM ET

Captain Phil Harris

sherri

Oh dear! That is to bad. I kinda expected it though. He just wouldn't quit his hard drinking and smoking. He was only 53? He looks like he was 83. May he rest in peace.

you know I THINK ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE BEING JERKS OF PICKING ON LINDA SHE IS GRIVEING ALSO JUST LIKE THE BOYS FAMILY SUPPOSE THE

WELL PHILL YOUR HOME NOW WERE YOU BELONG THE BIG FISHING BOAT IN THE SKY REST IN PEACE BROTHER

Maggie..UK

So sad that Captain Phil has passed away , My heart goes out to his family R.I.P Phil

antbabs

So sorry to hear this. My condolences to the Capt.'s family. I was hoping he would pull out of it.

I always looked forward to watching the show. True dedication for something he loved. RIP.

mista

RIP Cap'n Phil

Fifteen

Phil, RIP. I enjoyed watching your dedication to crab fishing on Discovery and admire the way you and your sons had a lasting relationship. Truly a deep loss.

tibby

gone to soon.

tibby

josh and jake, so sorry about your dad. it was easy to see how much he loved you.

Carl

Very sad. It is all the more sad to see someone die when they had the opportunity to do something about it. A year or two ago they showed him going to the hospital with a blood clot or something like that. It was made clear to him that he had to make drastic changes to improve his health. It is unfortunate that he didn't take that warning seriously.

tibby

i'll bet you felt right at home when you got to the river Jordon.
RIP old friend.

sean

RIP Captain Phil.God bless you and your family.

carrottopmomma

Dear Jake and Josh,
Thank you for sharing your lives with all of us. Your father showed all of us what true courage, strength and integrity was all about. No matter what was happening he faced it head on.
We may not see Capt Phil at the helm anymore but hearing what he said last and seeing his humorous character, I'm sure your father will always find a way to let you know he's with you guys.
My prayers are with you and may God Bless and keep you safe.

Robin from WA State

He will be missed he was a great guy RIP Josh and Jake remember all the good times
Robin

best Source

Damn! He's the kind you just expect to make it no matter what... he was always just shear determination! His sons must be heartbroken. My heart goes out to them. Captain Phil~SAIL ON but you will be missed.

Elle

RIP Captain Phil. You and the Cornelia Marie crew are what has kept me watching DC all these years. Jake and Josh-My condolences to you and your family. Your father was a great man, and it was easy to see how much he loved you two. Stay strong and know that people care about you!