John Mayer

Sorry for Dropping

the N-Word

2/10/2010 6:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John MayerJohn Mayer is apologizing for using the N-Word in that explosively controversial Playboy interview in which he compared his penis to a white supremacist.

During the interview, Mayer stated that "black people" love him -- and then he brought up the topic of a "hood pass."

While explaining the meaning of a hood pass, Mayer said, "It's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a n*gger pass."

But moments ago, Mayer issued an apology, via Twitter, saying "I am sorry that I used the word. And it's such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself."

Mayer added, "It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it, because I realize that there's no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged."

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15

Samantha

Everyone gets mad BECAUSE HE'S WHITE it's alright for black or mexican to say what they want. Face it white people are held to a higher standard. Queen Latifa is racist and no one blasts her, lots of black people make fun of white people all the time. ITS A WORD GET OVER IT ALREADY. Everyone in this world has used some form of racial slur. Sorry but, that's the reality!

Michelle

Im an African-American woman, and I wasn't at all offended by the 'entire interview'(which people should actually read)...that was between him and a staff member from 'playboy magazine'. There is a difference however in the degrading word "n*ggER" & "n*ggA" , from which MTV puts it as John Mayer saying "n*gga" rather than "n*gger".Regardless, when you take time to actually read it.Then think of it coming off as someone being a little bit comedic, then you can understand what he was trying to say. We all say things that come out totally different from the point we're trying to get across. He's no different. If Damon Wayans, or Chris Tucker said the same thing....but of course using their d*ck as being a 'Black Panther'...we would laugh it off. Now, John Mayer isnt a comedian...but everybody likes to joke about themselves using metaphors. Im mean his a writer for goodness sake. I think what he was trying to get across was that...using the word "Hood Pass" isnt much different, and is just as DEGRADING as saying "N*gga". We as indiviuals will always be attracted to what we grow up around. As some of us venture out into the world, and see different places and people we MAY become open-minded. But, we like what we like. Im naturally attracted to African-American men. But, Brad Pitt looks good. I have never dated outside my race. I haven't really opened myself up to it either. Doesn't mean I never will. Just not interested most of the time. So...media, and narrowminded people ...let it go. This is getting so ridiculously out of control. John Mayer...I understand what you were TRYING to say. I just think it came out wrong.

Michelle

This is to CC, comment #271.
Part of what you are saying is true.However, to the African-American community the word was used and still is used to this day...right before a violent act. That word was used to put down, hold down & degrade African-Americans. Alot of times right before being killed by a white man. So, to those who still experience it, and have in the past....its not cool coming from someone who says it in discuss with murder in his eyes.

Now, some African-American individuals use the word toward each other as taking something negative, and replacing it with a positive. In other words, if this is the word that people use just for African-Americans. Then lets own it in a positive way. By saying to other African-Americans..."your my n*gga"..rather than..."You black n*gger". Depending on the maturity level & interpretation of an individual. The reason for using it maybe offensive regardless of who uses it. But, to others it maybe a way of taking what was so embedded in our upbringing as degrading amongst us, and using it to a level of ownership in a way that can be giving a sense of uniting a race in a better view of the word. So, to each his own..but except other races. Sorry, it is what it is...why would Whites want to use that word anyway?

CJ

what a dumb sh*t! hey john, your music sucks!!!

Eboni

Ok, here's my take on the john mayer fiasco...

First off, playboy was very aware of john mayer's white supremacist views... Ask yourself, why the hell would a magazine which caters to white men and features nothing but white women ask him, about his so called black female fans... It's hilarious because the truth is, MOST black women do not even think of white guys in a sexual way, just as MOST white men do not think of black women in a sexual way.

Let's be honest with ourselves, as a black woman I can honestly say that I'm not attracted to white men. Sure there may be a few nice looking white guys out there, but I'm not sitting back saying, ooh that white guy is a hottie, I want him! I could never see myself sleeping with one or having a child with one, so I certainly understand his comments.

His delivery however was very bigoted. Just because I'm not attracted to white men, doesn't mean that I have the right to disrespect them. If for instance, I was a celeb and the question was posed about whether I was into white guys, I would simply deflect the question by stating, I'm into attractive, intelligent guys period.

He could have done the same thing, but he's such a dumb loser LOL.
On another note, I'm surprised that so many people are not mentioning the other psycho babble from the interview. He apparently tries to denigrate the beautiful black actress, Kerry Washington, by stating that she's a white girl trapped in a black girls body, yada yada yada...

In his little mind, all blacks are dumb idiots. God forbid if a black person is able to form a coherent sentence or actually think. Blacks that do not fit the so called 'hood' definition are 'acting white.' He's so comical. I really hope that he catches a serious beat down for being such a dumb bigot.

Mildred Smith

It is sad that after celebrities make racial comments they want to say they are sorry. The mouth is a powerful weapon that most people use to belittle. Here is a quote "Mean what you say and say what you mean". When racial slurs are used they always hit their intended target. John is suppose to be sooooo intelligent why use gutter words.

B.J

Hey, just ask Kid Rock what a hood pass is, I'm sure he knows.Why would anyone need a pass?I go wherever the f**k I want!

B.J

I think white people just need to come up with their own slang,thats what blacks do to get away wif it! John, if you wanna write something, come up with some white slang!!!!!!

LW

That's like calling one of my homies Hop Sing, we can call him that, but if you chime in, no...

You gotta be ethnic on the inside to know what time it is. Grew up in the darkness... I doubt he ever bought a dime bag or did his share of spot & steal. BTW, I don't own any of his work.

Fiona

This is funny! John, I have to agree. You can use my "hood pass" for even knowing what it is?! ROFLOL! (Everyone else, oh relax! He is a lot of things from a kiss-and-tell-macho-chauvenist to everything in between, but he was most certainly not being racist here.)

SOCIAL DYNAM!TE

I don't like him...sure can't sing to me. I guess he got pretty comfortable being around Dave Chapelle using the N word and all.
Hood pass..riiiiigght.....

Lindy

I used to get outraged over people using racial terms but most of the same guys that get so upset when someone else uses them use derogatory terms about women such as b**ch, c**t, s**t, wh**e, etc., so unless they don't use any of these terms publically or privately regarding women they have no right to make an issue out of any other derogatory words. In fact, several of those words are all over TV, even comedies, which is not right. Women deserve the same respect of not having derogatory words used as people expect due to their race. If you're upset over racial terms, get upset over derogatory words against women, too.

really

He is really getting news for saying a word? Wow. I hear the work everyday. It is almost always from black people so I guess you could say there is some racism going on accusing him for saying a "bad" word. Just because the word used to have a racist meaning doesn't mean that it can never change. For the rest of time no person other than a black will be able to say ******. Do you see how dumb this is?

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15