Sean Penn

Charged With Crimes

2/19/2010 8:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sean Penn was charged with criminal battery and vandalism today, in connection with a run-in with the paparazzi ... TMZ has learned.

0219_penn_tmz_video-1
The incident occurred last October in Brentwood, CA. TMZ captured the confrontation as an angry Penn approached and kicked a paparazzo, allegedly breaking his camera.

We've learned the Los Angeles City Attorney filed two misdemeanor counts -- battery and vandalism.

If convicted on both counts, Penn could go to jail for 1 1/2 years.

Penn's rep could not immediately be reached for comment.

alise

first!

dave

TEAM PENN! all the way!

Fred

They should give him a medal. I like to read celeb gossip but I'm not that desperate for pictures to condone their behavior to get them. I'll survive if I'm not the first to see (insert celeb name here) baby pics or the first picture of Tiger after the incident.

Ugh

Sean....Sean....Sean....they aren't worth it....you screwed up!

In Jersey

the guy is holding his lunch, so what he kicked him... how the hell can he break his camera like that... please, stars should know what to expect being famous and the papz should know what to expect getting in their face, both sides are set up to lose.

lin

WHAT THE HELL MAN!! The paps are the one trying to cause problems with penn. They should already know he is a hot head. But of course they probably do it on purpose to get the 'shot'. I can't help but feel sorry for this guy. Dumb Paps

coolcrappystuff.com

whatever

I'm with Sean Penn. It's totally ridiculous how the paparazzi stalks celebrities. Just totally disgusting! I'm okay with photos of celebs at restaurants and stuff like that, but to follow celebs to the grocery store, gym, etc is totally uncalled for. Let them live their everyday lives in peace. I would never want to be famous.

A.M.D.

There is a line but stardom comes with a price they know that yet it should not mean giving up your freedom or privacy. Both tend to go to the extreme though the blame is on both sides and as much as Penn is a loose cannon I don't think he should go to jail as long as the guy wasn't hurt.

MightyMad

lol. Did you see the guy from TMZ running to his car and locking it? Freakin' hilarious.

At the end of the day, though, Penn screwed himself here - the pap didn't even say 'hey' to him, yet he went berserker... It looks like an Oscar winner is going to do some community service.

JM

Let us hope he goes to jail, so that he has to stop promoting his communist agenda.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Lock up this ignorant, braindead Commie loving douchebag for being such an embarrassment to this country

magoo

Sean has to learn to control his temper. His dark brooding manner and explosive tirades are getting to be too much. He has developed into a great actor but these escapades have to stop. Rise above it.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

It's an understatement to only accuse this buffoon of living in fantasyland. When a gutless, little gray haired 5'5 retard runs around thinking he's Rocky, clearly he is delusional.

Somebody rip this sucmbag's head off already please.

Mike

I don't agree with Penn and how he reacted but 1.5 years in jail?? For that??.. That's ridiculous!! Maybe some court appointed anger managament classes TOPS.. 1.5 years.. pleeease. >tisk<

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Is there any doubt that this idiot isn't playing with a full deck???