Fantasia Barrino

High Alert

After Hate Mail

2/20/2010 10:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Fantasia Barrino is under a self-imposed lockdown -- after the "American Idol" champ received a threatening letter.

It all started last night at the Pantages Theater in L.A. -- Fantasia was reading her fan mail after a performance of "The Color Purple."

Fantasia's manager tells us Barrino became alarmed over a disturbing letter loaded with racial slurs -- including the n-word -- and a line that read, "go back where you came from and die."

We're told the person who wrote the letter claims he used to work as a security guard for Fox while Fantasia was on "A.I."

Fantasia's manager tells us the singer immediately contacted theater security -- which then contacted the LAPD.

In the meantime, we're told the theater has "beefed up" security around Fantasia -- and all over the venue -- and will be screening anything sent to Barrino's dressing room before it gets to her.

Fantasia tells TMZ, "I will not be defeated by one isolated person's hatred."

Dawn

I love when white people say go back to where you came from, it just makes them seem so stupid it's so funny.

Michelle

Lisa American Idol is a singing contest not an education or morality contest. By the way Simon Cowell dropped out of school when he was 16 years old. Does that make him any less of a human being. You don't like her but you sat and watched her biopic and took time out of your life to come here, sit at a computer, formulate a message, type the message and the submit. That is a lot of energy expending on someone you don't like. Yes, I know, "it's your opinion" but for someone who "never liked her" you have some amount of respect for her because you are here. Jealousy is such a powerful emotion. don't bother responding I don't go back and forth with children. I'm a grown up. However, may God bless you and not judge you as harshly as you have Fantasia.

EGGO

I love Fantasia....she is so talented. Her stage presence is magical. There are so many racist bastards out there and on this site apparently. Keep your head up Tasia....nothing can keep you down. What the hell does President Obama have to do with Fantasia?

mikey

"she was reading her fan mail"

I call BS! This muppet mouthed troll is widely known to be illiterate.

Ryan Kealey

While this is sad, I was not aware Fantasia was still performing in anything. Her career has been a massive train wreck and an embarassment to AI. Sadly, Chris Allen seems to be headed to same way.

Chris

Fantasia's song "When I See You" is SUCH a good song! For those of you that say she's not talented, watch her sing "Summertime" on Idol.

Not Relevant

Fantasia is a good singer?, cause I hear her music on the radio all the time, and she has sold out concerts, and number one hit songs...NOT!!SHE FREAKIN SUCKS!!!

lanastaslem

Hey ryan whatever, who is CHRIS Allen?

A very talented guy named KRIS Allen won AI8. He put out a GREAT CD which I bought. I have 12 years classical music training so I know a bit about music. He can sing, play 3 instruments, read and arrange and write music.

Exactly how is he a TRAIN WRECK and an EMBARASSMENT? What great things are you doing with your life huh?

don't believe it

I cant stand racism of any race because we all know it comes in all colors but I find this hard to believe ...This lady is just looking for publicity and this is the only way she can get it ...It was probably written by one of her own ..

gabby

The person that threaten Fantasia must have a LOW IQ & on THE PUBLIC ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.It wonderful when anyone reaches their dreams w/SUCCESS like FANTASIA done..

Ana

I'm surprised that she gets any fan mail...LOL. This is the doing of someone in her family.

Lucca

Ummm, her agent reported this? Who is her agent, Tawana Brawley? This sounds like a big set up to get a no-talent, boring show some publicity.

MFCMOM

HOPEFULLY THIS IS NOT TRUE, HOWEVER, WENT TO ONE OF HER CONCERTS IN PANAMA CITY FL WITH MY KIDS, HUGE MISTAKE, SHOWED UP HOUR AND A HALF LATE DID ALL OF FIVE CRAPPY SONGS AND THE ENTIRE SHOW WAS JUST PLAIN VULGAR. DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR HER THIS IS WHAT SHE HAS CHOSEN TO BE AROUND HER AND THROW AWAY ANY TALENT SHE HAD. SHE IS JUST DISGRACEFUL.

sherri

A little confused? She just isn't that popular anymore that there would be such a fuss over fan mail.

DaJuice

Honestly...if the stalker wanted to make her understand what she/he is trying to say they really should make her a Pop-Up-Book so she can follow along...