Fantasia Barrino

High Alert

After Hate Mail

2/20/2010 10:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Fantasia Barrino is under a self-imposed lockdown -- after the "American Idol" champ received a threatening letter.

It all started last night at the Pantages Theater in L.A. -- Fantasia was reading her fan mail after a performance of "The Color Purple."

Fantasia's manager tells us Barrino became alarmed over a disturbing letter loaded with racial slurs -- including the n-word -- and a line that read, "go back where you came from and die."

We're told the person who wrote the letter claims he used to work as a security guard for Fox while Fantasia was on "A.I."

Fantasia's manager tells us the singer immediately contacted theater security -- which then contacted the LAPD.

In the meantime, we're told the theater has "beefed up" security around Fantasia -- and all over the venue -- and will be screening anything sent to Barrino's dressing room before it gets to her.

Fantasia tells TMZ, "I will not be defeated by one isolated person's hatred."

cookie

Fantasia I have been loving u since A.I. However can you please start putting your episodes of ur reality show on itunes (pretty please) see I had to take it there LOL!!Oh & in reference to the fu$%ing idiot that sent you that hate mail he's probably in the looney bin by now so let them keep on hatin" cuz can't no-one do it as good as u!!! Luv YA So long for now

bigbiz

Yo Fantasia ...
Time to face the facts and look in the mirror..times up

julie

She looks like a man in drag. Is she?

bianca

I love Fantasia. She has not been given a great break since Idol. She is a wonderful singer...I'd love to see her on a show with Jennifer Hudson. She beat Jennifer before and she'd beat her again. I love Fantasia. "Would love to see/hear more of her on those televised shows featuring 'stars.' One of the reasons. I think some haters don't like her is because of her very black features - lips etc. but in my book she has great talent; LOVE HER!

nof

My thought: Forward this (letter) to the Dixie Chicks.

Nof

brettkenney

what was she doing reading? i thought she was illiterate. also, what was she doing at the show? she is famous for not showing up.

bunny.girl09

To# 75... Im black and I ,my parents and thier parents and their parents parents all come from Lousiana ( that is in the country of: The United States of America ) ... how far back must I remember??

Marcus

LMAO ... it's all a publicity stunt, if you're black what better way is there to get attention than to scream racism, I'm racially mixed, and I see this from the black community all the time.

Makenna

TMZ WANTS A RACE WAR

THIS STORY HAS BEEN PINNED TO THE TOP ALL DAY. THERE ARE UPDATES BUT THEY BURY THEM UNDER THIS. WHY?

THIS CHIC IS D-LIST. IT IS PINNED BECAUSE TMZ LOVES KEEPING THE RACE WAR GOING.

Diane

Sounds like she needs some BIG publicity for her poorly attended show...... TMZ do we have to look at 'this' as your #1 story, it's been at top of your page all day!!!! Give us a break......

Skank

She's SOOO freaking ugly!

femonanon

Love you, Fantasia! But, watch out, those white supremist boys are everywhere in sheep's clothing.
J.M. :-p

Marcus

This is hysterical, that nobody is on high alert, self-imposed lock-down, please she's not all that, she makes all of us black women look like fools.

bianca

Which idiot is comparing Fantasia's voice to Jordin Sparks? Jordin cannot hold a candle to Fantasia!! Jordin's voice was NOT better than the 2nd or 3rd place winners that year. It was cuteness that made Jordin win over Dolittle.
Fantasia is just GREAT! Love her!
I'd love to see her in a sing out with Jennifer Hudson. She beat her before, and I am sure she'd do it again. I want to see her in more musical line ups; We aren't getting enough of her! She doesn't get many opportunities because of her ethnic features, but I hope she does nothing about them! People need to accept who you are!

BTW What happened to David Cook??

Marcus