« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Scotty Lago -- Apologize and Go ... Or Just Go!

2/21/2010 1:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

If Scotty Lago didn't volunteer to leave the Olympics, he'd have been told to leave by the U.S. Olympic Committee ... this according to sources close to Lago.

0910_media_removed_Lindsay_Lohan2

Lago offered up an apology after a mildly suggestive photo of him -- using his bronze medal for snowboarding to score chicks -- popped up on the Internet. He agreed to leave the Olympic Village on his own accord, but sources close to Lago tell TMZ he received an ultimatum from the U.S. Olympic Committee: either say you're sorry and go ... or get ejected from the Olympic Village.

As for when we might hear from Lago himself ... we're told he's in a "blackout period" -- meaning he can't talk about the incident at all until March 3.

A call to the USOC was not returned.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

ani

I keep thinking of Peggy Lee singing "Is That There Is?"

lauren

OK...
First, HE IS NOT A "KID" OR A "CHILD"!!!!!!!! He is a 23 year old (for heaven's sake, my parents were married with a child when they were 23 years old!).
Second, his parents may be the most wonderful people in the world (don't tell MY parents I said that!), however he is an adult who is old enough to make his own decisions and live with the consequences of his actions. Nobody is blaming them.
Third, I don't have to know the guy personally to see he is a jerk who doesn't know the meaning of the word respect. I personally hope he is banned from all future Olympic games and that he is made to return his medal.
Fourth, I could care less what he does behind closed doors, but in public, wearing a TEAM USA shirt, he needs to monitor his behaviour. He signed a morality clause in his contract, and took A LOT of money from his country for the privilege of attending a world event. That means he is the IOC's "bitch". Deal with it, SLAGS

kristen

Maybe they should send the girl home.... seriously!

Mary G.

This Hometown Hero just became a Hometown Zero

Alexa

What a pig! Her parents must be so proud!

stonecold

156. again if I was him I would be seeing about seeking legal action against tmz.

These guys work very hard for years and what TMZ did was not right and yet we have yet to see an apology issued from TMZ. I guess tmz does not understand hard work, all you people do is stalk people for a living and ruin there dreams

---------

This is probably the most idiotic post I have ever read. So it's TMZ's fault that this doofus was disrespecting the Olympic medal on A PUBLIC STREET? Last time I checked, anybody can take a photo of anybody else on a public street. Who ruined "there" dreams? The photographer or the idiot who was photographed?

Hunter

Wow, we are way to hung on stupid crap, there is so much other things that should be a concern, not this. loosen up already, life is to short.

gretasue

To me, Scotty did nothing wrong, clearly just all in fun. First thing I thought of after seeing the pic. "Bill Clinton did the real thing in the White House an nobody made this much fuss!"

TMZ is such a trash monger and should be totally ignored, how does Harvey sleep at nite?

stonecold

TMZ, in their sensationalistic style, should report the news (not make it or make it happen)

********

Good lord, you are an idiot. The disgusting pigs in the photo made the news happen by doing something very stupid. TMZ by coincidence (or hard work) was simply the first to report it...

Rachelle

How about we send Scotty back to the Olympics and send TMJ Sports home! It's sickening that a writer or photographer would be proud of breaking a story like this. What Scotty did was not in good judgment or taste but it wasn't so bad that he should be shamed into leaving. I mean, come on! And while I'm at it, Canada, I don't think you've done such a great job in providing adequate facilities for competing. We've got slow ice, deadly luge and bobsled, and crumby skiing conditions. What gives?!

Brian Key

What an idiot,, he could have done this in private. Instead, he wanted to look cool for people who really dont give a crap about him anyway...

gretasue

Thanks Scotty and Shawn for making Snowboarding my new favorite sport ! Good luck

S

You forget that this lovely site is what posted them first. Was it really necessary TMZ? Seriously? A story is worth someone's possibly once in a lifetime experience? Shame on the media, shame on TMZ. The kid was celebrating...albeit in a vulgur way... but TMZ, you suck.

Tracey

TMZ, you are a bunch of asses for publishing that photo. Now you try to distance yourselves by saying it "popped up" on the internet. Come on. You had to know the implications of putting a picture like that out there. He trained for years to earn that medal, and in that instant you ruined his Olympic experience. With moves like that, you are putting yourselves on the same class level as Perez. Are you going to start drawing all over your pictures now too? You have crossed the line.

Ferris

Its his Medal that he earned, let him do what he wants