Dr. Debi

2/23/2010 2:01 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The 42-year-old resurfaced in a photo recently, looking relaxed.

Debi Thomas

Debi lost the gold medal to Katerina Witt at the '88 Games.

Thomas is now an orthopedic surgeon and works at a clinic in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Warmcozy

I'm looking forward to reading her autobiography. What a beautiful, disciplined life she's leading.

JustWatchMe

Pretty woman - and her eyes show that she must be a nice person. and holy crap, the Olympics and then you go on to be a surgeon?? Pretty impressive.

TeeKay

Awesome! Not only has she gone on to be a success in the "real" world, she is still just as beautiful and still has that wonderful smile! Our young people need a role model like Debi!

canadasue

She looks terrific! It is good to hear that her life after skating has turned out so well!

Mariah

Damm, orthopedic surgeon?? Good for her! You youngsters won't remember this but Tracey Gold's (Carol on Growing Pains) sister Melissa Gold was a successful child star (on "Benson") who went on to become a successful veterinarian...and we all know how Mayim Bialik and Danica McKellar did...freakin' Ph.D.'s in Math/Sciences, etc. These are success stories you wish you could read more about!

A Man Among Men

Hey, she looks great! I went to school with her at Stanford (class of '89, yeah!) and she was a very nice girl then. Glad to see she's doing well. :)

orthodeb

Wow! Such nice comments! I appreciate them all. My Facebook friends told me I was on tmz.com, so I checked it out. Just got back from having a wonderful time at the Olympics in Vancouver. Got to hang out with Liz Manley (Silver medalist form Canada) for a little interview where we reflected on our Olympic experiences. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to see Kat, though I know she was there.

The Olympics is about sportsmanship and trying to perform your best. I was disappointed in myself for not doing what I needed to do to perform my best. I wanted to be perfect sooooo much, that I let a little mistake at the beginning take away my spirit. I know better now. You hate for the Olympics to be a learning experience, but after it was all over I realized how many people had pulled for me, and I had wished that I had fought harder to make the rest of the program great. Now in my current position, if I am performing surgery, I can never leave the operating room until I have given my best for that patient.

Strawberrygirl

*Orthodeb* you are an inspiration & role model...Thanks so much for coming on here and commenting. I'm glad you had a good time Vancouver. May God richly bless your life...although it sounds as though He has! ;) Have a great day!

Dawn

This lady is proof that you can achieve a lot in life, and still be a nice person.

Ronnie

I remember watching the Olympics that year with my grandmother and rooting for her. I also remember hearing at some point that she became a doctor. Good for her!

Orthodeb, you're looking great and sounds like you're doing great, too. You're still an inspiration!

ireland

Good for her! So glad she "got a life" and an impressive one at that. And we didn't have to hear about her on some pathetic reality show or entertainment news or traveling with Ice Capades, etc., etc. What to go, Debi!

Christine

It's so...refreshing to hear positive comments about a celebrity. I remember watching Debi win the bronze, and I think it's amazing that she's managed to build such a wonderful life and career for herself outside the world of skating. Congrats, Debi! You're a inspiration!

JoDale

Hello Debi - I was so hoping you would win gold that year. But sounds like you won gold for life. Do you still skate for fun? PS I also live in the Hoosier state.

Linda

I love this story! She is a beautiful person - inside and out.
It reflects in her eyes and her smile. Good for Debi!

Casey

Hi Debi, While watching the Olympics, I asked my girlfriend if she remembered you. She said yes. Well, there you is, a doctor, pretty as ever, and living in my home state. Thanks TMZ!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments