Dr. Debi

2/23/2010 2:01 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The 42-year-old resurfaced in a photo recently, looking relaxed.

Debi Thomas

Debi lost the gold medal to Katerina Witt at the '88 Games.

Thomas is now an orthopedic surgeon and works at a clinic in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Jennifer Bouldack

Such a beautiful woman inside and out. I was always a fan, and am even more so now. This is the first time I have ever seen comments on TMZ be 100 percent favorable. I am sure there will be some idiot who will come on here and write something stupid just to prove he/she can, but up until this point, they are all positive - as they should be.

I agree with another writer above - wish we could hear more about the people like Debi Thomas who take being a celebrity as a young person and turn it into a life that anyone would be proud to have. Debi is such a great role model; she was then, and she is now.

What impresses me most, in addition to her obvious nice personality, is how she sets goals and meets them. She said she wanted to be a doctor and she accomplished it. She wanted a medal at the Olympics and she accomplished it.

Good for you, Debi. I have always been a fan - thank you for affirming my good taste!

doctorme

two.cents

My daughter used to babysit her son when they lived in the Huntington Beach area. She said they were wonderful parents and he was such a well mannered adorable boy.

Thanks "OrthoDeb" for showing true greatness in character!

Amazing

The thing I remember the most about her was probably not the Olympics, but an ice show where she performed in torn jeans to a kind of jazzy song. It was spectacular! I have never forgotten it.

Crissy Angela

I remember watching her at the '88 Olympics and cheering for her. She was absolutely beautiful then, and obviously still is. Thanks for the update.

tonybotz

Ms. Thomas - thank you for providing us with such great skating memories in the 1980's. Loved watching you win your World Title and challenge the indefatigable Katarina Witt. You're a true class act, and remain an inspiration.

Straight Talkin Texan

WooHoo!!! Good for Debi! She's obviously a very intelligent and determined woman. Impressive!

bianca

So glad that she found a place in the "real world!" An inspiration to all - Med School and a doctor! Great!

Just hope that Katherine Jackson reads this story. Gosh! I worry for MJ's kids being guided into song and dance and financial obligations to the plastic-surgeried relatives,instead of an education and a place in the real world!!

keepinitrealincali

20. I remember watching her in the Olympics, and being so heartbroken for her (still, a bronze medal isn't too shabby). I remember that she wanted to go to med school--glad she did. I think one of the American Olympic speed skaters became an orthopedic surgeon as well. I bet her patients are thrilled to have her as their surgeon.

Posted at 10:09AM on Feb 23rd 2010 by sara
**********************************************
Sara, your talking about speedskater Eric Heiden who won 5 gold medals at Lake Placid in 1980 at the rip old age of 21. And yes, he followed in his father's footsteps and became an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine. In fact, Eric's been the team doctor for the U.S. speedskating team (short and long track) for at least the last 2 or 3 Olympics. Now back to Debi . . . who of us who are old enough could forget the "Battle of the Carmens?" I'm so glad Debi made good on her promise to go to medical school. She looks happy in the pic, like life is treating her well. And life does treat you well, when you're blessed enough to be able to fulfill your dreams and do what you love. From one Cali girl to another -- Good job Debi!

Dee

You were and still are an inspiration today. I remember watching your compete as a girl and I was so blow away by your talent!

I was walking by my television and I saw you on the news today, and as busy as I was... I had to stop and watch. I am so happy for you. I agree with everyone above. You may not have achieved a gold at the 1988 Olympics, however, I too can see that you have achieved a gold medal in life.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2