Andrew Koenig's Dad: He Took His Own Life

2/25/2010 9:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An emotional Walter Koenig -- father of "Growing Pains" actor Andrew Koenig -- just said his son, who had been missing since February 14, took his own life.

Andrew Koenig: Click to view
During Walter's brief statement, he had a message for those who may find themselves in the same emotional state as his son, saying, "What you can learn from this ... is that there are people out there who really, really care."

Walter continued, saying, "Before you make that final decision ... talk to somebody."

Once the Koenigs were finished speaking, a police spokesperson said Andrew's body was found today in Stanley Park in Vancouver. The spokesperson said they are not releasing Andrew's cause of death yet due to the sensitivity of situation.

simpelandsweet427

For "I rule Post #10" You are a has been. Have some compassion. we feel for all, including the whale trainer and including this human being. Get a life.

KEA

I'm sorry for all the negative and thoughtless comments being posted on here, obviously from people who have no idea what they're talking about. I am terribly sorry to hear this and my heart goes out to the family. Remember, depression is a DISEASE and not something to be ashamed of. People with cancer or diabetes don't feel ashamed to seek treatment and if you suffer from this neither should you. We need to eradicate the stigma attached with this disease and allow people to feel free to share their experiences and suffering without fear of judgment, you are loved and there are many people who have suffered and many many who recover beautifully. Not only do they recover but they go on to help others in similar crises with a greater compassion than those who don't understand. We need you to be here, we need you to seek help and recover so you can be a strong voice in the healing of others! Bless you all, you have more than a purpose for going through depression...depression is NOT for the weak but those who suffer with it have TREMENDOUS strength to face it each day. Get the help you so deserve!!

tkdmom

My sympathies to the family. I had hoped for a different result for their son. I don't care if he was a washed up actor or actor's child. Nobody deserves to survive a loved one's suicide. May he find the peace he so longed for.

Lisa

RIP Andrew. Hopefully this loss will bring press to the important issue of living with depression.
The Canadian police are different than the American ones aren't they? not better or worse, but somehow a little different.....

ltlmstrblmkr

How nice that LE is showing so much respect.....maybe YOU (TMZ) can do the same now? His own dad said he tookhis own life....so let 'cause of death' be please. The whole press conference is od,tho understandable that they'd have it to ask for privacy,sad they'd have to.Tho I do find it disturbing that his father kept referring to his depression as a 'behaviour' & not as it really is.....an illness. Maybe that was part of the problem?If you don't even see it as an illness,how can you treat it,or the person?Sad.....kudos to them for speaking out to others to reach out. :-(

dean

RIP
why didnt that self rightous religious zelot know it all, Kirk Ahole Cameran get off his God horse and actaully try to help

Maniacal Zebra

So sad that he was hurting so much that he took his own life. Such a tragedy.

Sand D

Here is a young man who was done, he took himself to one of his happy places and left this eartly plain from there....now he is everywhere.......once again. Sincere thoughts to his family, who will forever love him....as he will them.

Floridachik

I will pray for this family...R.I.P. Andrew

ralph

then when the missing person is found dead, they demand that everyone leave them the hell alone

just once, I'd like to see someone thank the public for their concern and for hearing their plea

Michelle

RIP Andrew. Maybe he wasn't a big star like Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt, but he was a human being. I watched Growing Pains when I was going through my real-life growing pains. It feels like a part of my childhood has died. My heart goes out to his parents. At least they have some closure now.

jay

Ralph, you're an idiot.

TV Gord

#19. How much would YOU help if someone you worked with 20 years ago went missing? Be real.

It's interesting to see how many morons post on this site. I'm surprised most of you know how to mash your fingers into a keyboard.

Ben

UPDATE 5:11 PM PT: Andrew's father, Walter Koenig, said his son took his own life. He said his son was in a lot of pain. Walter said "what you can learn from this ... is that there are people out there who really, really care."

Did you not see this, ralph?

23. always sad to see it when a family begs for the public's help with cries of deep emotional pain

then when the missing person
is found dead, they demand that everyone leave them the hell alone

Posted at 8:25PM on Feb 25th 2010 by ralph

Libby

Wonder when Kirk Cameron's Press conference will be?