Andrew Koenig's Dad: He Took His Own Life

2/25/2010 9:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An emotional Walter Koenig -- father of "Growing Pains" actor Andrew Koenig -- just said his son, who had been missing since February 14, took his own life.

Andrew Koenig: Click to view
During Walter's brief statement, he had a message for those who may find themselves in the same emotional state as his son, saying, "What you can learn from this ... is that there are people out there who really, really care."

Walter continued, saying, "Before you make that final decision ... talk to somebody."

Once the Koenigs were finished speaking, a police spokesperson said Andrew's body was found today in Stanley Park in Vancouver. The spokesperson said they are not releasing Andrew's cause of death yet due to the sensitivity of situation.

wilyfem

Nobody wants to see Chekhov cry :(

Matthew

Nuclear Wessels?

Farah

How unbelievably sad. Why? If I ever thought my son might be depressed enough to be suicidal I'd lock him up to save his life. If I had to tie him to his bed till I could get him help I would.

People need to open their eyes and do anything...ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING they can to save their childrens lives. Our highschool has been plagued by suicide. The hopelessness in this society is most certainly a plague. God have mercy on the hopeless and lost....

Jen

When you report on someone's untimely death you should have a section just for idiots comments separate from people who may have something thoughtful to say so I could've avoided reading some of these lame posts. Suicide and depression are no laughing matter, it is very serious. I find this to be very sad.

Anastasia

RIP Andrew. Prayers to the family/friends :(

As for the rest of you that feel the need to rip into people, I will pray for you too. You're obviously in a lot of pain yourselves if you need to post such things here ESPECIALLY at a time like this. REPULSIVE!

GTLT

Some of the people on this subject are aholes! You know who you are..

Hates Conan like crap

The good news is Andrew will be able to attend Michael Jackson's next live concert.

Jill Goessling

#16 Kriss-----Stated so beautifully. I suffered from this disease
for many years and finally with alot of work (Dr.s & therapy) I
am OK now. I always said, I would much rather deal with a physical
disease than a mental one.
It's hard. I'm sorry Andrew had to take his life.

I'm am sending condolences to his family.

schoen1

tmz should ban kids or adults who act like kids from posting on here.that is all.

Posted at 8:11PM on Feb 25th 2010 by tim

I tend to agree with that, but I don't think it will happen.

White Trash

Don't get me wrong - I think this whole thing is all very sad. However, why is the press acting like this guy was some huge star worthy of all this press coverage? If you look at IMDB, he hardly did much acting other than Growing Pains, and even then it says he was only in 25 episodes.

Bren

RIP Andrew.

tim

kinda odd that they searched this place with a fine comb before and was unalbe to find him.yet his family and friends decide to search today and they find him.seems a little fishy to me.but who knows.

poophead

Im not sure if Growing Pains is on DVD yet, but if it isn't then this is a good time to release them. They can add a Tribute to Andrew Koenig (boner) and Alan Thicke (so dreamy) can narrate

nof

...This news should put the Koenig's back on Larry King's A List.

Nof

omfg

i wish he had taken me with him, and helped me go too...RIP Drew. Depression is an unbearable curse, people. Have some f*ckin compassion.