Andrew Koenig's Dad: He Took His Own Life

2/25/2010 9:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An emotional Walter Koenig -- father of "Growing Pains" actor Andrew Koenig -- just said his son, who had been missing since February 14, took his own life.

Andrew Koenig: Click to view
During Walter's brief statement, he had a message for those who may find themselves in the same emotional state as his son, saying, "What you can learn from this ... is that there are people out there who really, really care."

Walter continued, saying, "Before you make that final decision ... talk to somebody."

Once the Koenigs were finished speaking, a police spokesperson said Andrew's body was found today in Stanley Park in Vancouver. The spokesperson said they are not releasing Andrew's cause of death yet due to the sensitivity of situation.

elle

My heart hurts for Andrew and his family. I too suffer with depression. I know the pain Andrew must have been feeling, and I have considered the option that he chose. If I ever am at that point again, I will remember the words of Andrew's father and the pain in his face when he spoke tonight. The statement by Andrew's parents tonight likely will save lives.

kasey

@ 31 TV Gord
your a sad pathetic excuse for a human being. yes most ppl would care about someone they worked with 20 years ago, and maybe Kirk lost touch with him it doesnt mean he still didnt care for him and kirk does have his own family 2 worry about. i hope when u pass someone cares for u but with the way u act probably not.
Jackasss

Jessica

Very sad news. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Scroomy

My thoughts anhd prayers are with the entire family. RIP Andrew. You will be missed. May the peace that escaped you here, be with you now. Sweet Sweet Angel.

simpelandsweet427

To Post #44 by Diane..What???? You have to be a huge star for people to have compassion or for the media to pay attention? He may not have been a HUGE star but he was, at some time, in THE business. SO the media, which is THE business, is paying it's respects and letting the viewers know. So get a grip.
Also, he IS another human being as well.

Common Sense

my opinion, his father was a big part of why he committed suicide. i suffer from depression and i know how awful it is when the people who are supposed to love you and support you, instead blame you for your depression. people who don't suffer from the disease, don't understand so they say things like 'shake if off', 'get over it', 'quit being a sissy', 'you don't love jesus enough' (my sister actually screamed that at me a few times).... as if you'd say that to someone who has cancer. his father, in my opinion, seems like this type of person. no patience, no understanding, he felt it was a "behavior" that his son adopted. this poor young man and the pain he must have suffered to be able to take his own life. blessedly now he is at peace.

simpelandsweet427

To Post #23 Ralph..you are a MORON. STFU

Madam Obvious

Very sad. I loved Andrew on Growing Pains, Boner was my favourite character. May he now rest in peace.

TV Gord

51, you misunderstand me. The previous poster is somehow blaming Kirk Cameron for not doing more. I'm not saying Cameron doesn't care at all, but what can he do that isn't already being done? I don't know how you read so much into my statement, but you seem to want to lash out at me for things I didn't write.

karma

It is very sad that people who take their lives are not able to take a glance into the future to see what heartbreak they leave behind, to see the family and friends do truly love them, that not all is lost. May God give you strength, Mr. and Mrs. Koening. Do not blame yourselves, you tried so hard, so hard. Andrew seemed like a very nice man...I am sorry he did find help.
(The Mental Health out reach funding should not be cut in this country and it has been..steadily by Congress/Presidents.) For all you people that don't have an ounce of class, apparently you've never had suicide touch your life but someday you may, hopefully that coldness breaks inside of you.

Hey E!, you have NO class.

JayVeee

Great Post (18) Kriss. I couldn't agree more.

mbeek

How tragic. Never saw the show - but my heart goes out to his poor parents. And that poor boy - how very, very lonely and sad. Devastating.

ActionJunkie

Holy crap, there are some sick, sick ppl commenting in this thread!

What a noble speech by his dad!

Beth

Kriss your post was outstanding.
RIP Andrew

songanddancegrl

So sad for his friends and family...For anyone making light of this,it is not appropriate and I hope you endure some sort of tragedy of equal anguish. There is nothing about depression or suicide that is the least bit funny. Its heartbreaking for many people. Have some respect! RIP Andrew.