Andrew Koenig's Dad: He Took His Own Life

2/25/2010 9:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An emotional Walter Koenig -- father of "Growing Pains" actor Andrew Koenig -- just said his son, who had been missing since February 14, took his own life.

Andrew Koenig: Click to view
During Walter's brief statement, he had a message for those who may find themselves in the same emotional state as his son, saying, "What you can learn from this ... is that there are people out there who really, really care."

Walter continued, saying, "Before you make that final decision ... talk to somebody."

Once the Koenigs were finished speaking, a police spokesperson said Andrew's body was found today in Stanley Park in Vancouver. The spokesperson said they are not releasing Andrew's cause of death yet due to the sensitivity of situation.

keepinitreal

Some of you people are so RUDE!!! If you dont CARE then dont respond! SHEESH. I can only imagine if it was only one of your loved ones. I was really hoping for the best. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

mike

Hey #113 you remind me of that song by Styx called Too much Time on my Hands.... Go get a freakin life...

Earthling

I never understood why people say suicide is a selfish act. That's so ignorant to say. Maybe those should read an article about it, pretty much any article about it could enlighten you.

that.is.all

so sorry to hear this

to the parent, it's not your fault, something inside your son, took him to a dark place
he couldn't help this

I am so so sorry

I send you my condolences, to his parents, his friends, those who loved him and those he loved

so sad

I'm very sorry

RIP Andrew

unbelievable

"38. How unbelievably sad. Why? If I ever thought my son might be depressed enough to be suicidal I'd lock him up to save his life. If I had to tie
him to his bed till I could get him help I would"
Once again, another ignorant comment. Most families find their hands tied in these kinds of situations.

That's against the law!

You have to go to law enforcement to get a hold placed on someone. If you call an ambulance, they can also have a hold placed on the person if they deem it is necessary from what they see.

Family can not just strap down their loved ones, even if they would like to.

judgingotherssux

He had a mental illness..He got off his meds..If he would have smoked a joint...Kirk Cameron would have skiirred his britches.

that.is.all

a hold?

lol
that amounts to 72 hours

if a person doesn't want to live, he chooses not to live

it's unfortunate but true

nobody is to blame here

RIP Andrew

p.s. for all you retards, if you don't have anything respectful to say, JUST STFU

Kathleen

My regards go out to the Koeing Family. I am very sorry for your loss and I am very sorry so many people are rude and Inconsiderate. I will pray for your family to get over this rough time, and I hope the press gives you your time to cope with your family. once again I am very sorry for your loss.

Ziggy

I'm so sorry to hear the news. I don't think I could ever comprehend being so sad and so lost that I would do that. He obviously felt there was no way out.

To the Koenigs: Thank you for having the courage to come forward and say the things that you said. I am so sorry for your loss, but maybe your words will save someone else's child.

RIP Andrew, I hope you have found peace.

that.is.all

Heartbreaking

Beth

First I want to say it was no coincidence that Larry Kind did not do a show about what happened to Andrew Koenig tonight. That in itself is tragic. But for Larry King to have not show cased this earlier was I think a huge mistake and lacked and said a lot.

I feel so sad for the Koenig family as I have a friend who was the same age who also took his life due to horrible depression. He was such a lovely man too.

RIP A.K

eh

I'm so sorry for his family. People do care. I am sad that he felt such pain and despair.

DirtNast

rip

moonflower502

Although I never saw Growing Pains, I have a lot of experience with depression and he must have been in so much pain to take his life. I know there are no words that could possibly comfort his parents, but my thoughts and prayers go out to them.

C'mon TMZ