Andrew Koenig's Dad: He Took His Own Life

2/25/2010 9:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An emotional Walter Koenig -- father of "Growing Pains" actor Andrew Koenig -- just said his son, who had been missing since February 14, took his own life.

Andrew Koenig: Click to view
During Walter's brief statement, he had a message for those who may find themselves in the same emotional state as his son, saying, "What you can learn from this ... is that there are people out there who really, really care."

Walter continued, saying, "Before you make that final decision ... talk to somebody."

Once the Koenigs were finished speaking, a police spokesperson said Andrew's body was found today in Stanley Park in Vancouver. The spokesperson said they are not releasing Andrew's cause of death yet due to the sensitivity of situation.

lassy

aw i was hoping they would find him alive...it's sad he apparently was suffering from a lot of pain in his life...but i don't get it did the parents know? did they try to help?..or was it that they only took it seriously until AFTER he went missing?...sad

katarina

RIP andrew. this was very meaningful speach. its horible tragedy and yes people should learn from this...those who thinking about taking their own life should see how it does not solwe anything,only makes it harder for people who loves you. things are never as bad as they seems to be.

Bally

I can't believe some of the a-hole comments on here.
Poor guy. It's so sad when someone feels the answer is to commit suicide.

5THBEATLE

MY DAUGHTER WENT MISSING A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, AND WE DID POST A REWARD WHICH DIDN'T MEAN ANYTHING BECAUSE, SHE WAS FOUND DEAD!! MONETARY REWARDS DOESN'T MEAN SQUAT. I'M NOT TALKING JUST A COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS, I'M TALKING THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. THAT BEING SAID, IF THE KOENING'S HAD PUT OUT A REWARD, THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT HE WOULD'VE BEEN FOUND ALIVE. I KNOW EXCATLY WHAT THEY ARE FEELING RIGHT NOW AND IT'S THE WORST FEELING YOU CAN EVER HAVE. I AM SO SORRY FOR THE KOENINGS. ANDREW WASN'T A CHILD, HE WAS 41, BUT EVEN SO, LOSING A SON/DAUGHTER IS SO HORRIBLE. LOSING YOUR PARENTS, IS THE WAY OF THE WORLD BUT, LOSING A SON OR DAUGHTER IS JUST SO PAINFUL. I WISH I COULD HELP THE KOENINGS GO THROUGH THIS BECAUSE, UNFORTUNATLEY I'VE BEEN THERE. R.I.P. ANDREW.

Elizabeth from England

I'm so, so sorry. Depression is a horrible illness. It just drains you of energy and optimism and sometimes eventually, hope.

My thoughts are with his parents and the rest of Andrew's family and friends.

Darlene

So sad to hear this, my thoughts & prayers are with his family.

criss

I feel very bad for his family. I can only imagine the hell they're going through right now.

jdohe

I would like to know why 30 PROFESSIONALY TRAINED law enforcement people searched Stanley Park and found NOTHING.. yet just 10 family members and friends found the body in just 2 hours?
It sounds to me like some massive incompetence on the part of the law enforcement.

SLynn

Nothing prepares you for the loss of child. My thoughts are with his family during this difficult time. The grief and sadness never goes away.

cjs

So sad, I can't imagine as a parent coming to the scene and seeing my child dead, amazing how composed he was, my heart broke for him and his wife.

Ziggy

Los Angeles is a shark infested sh^t hole crammed full of plastic bimbos, greedy predators, shady characters, smog and traffic jams. Maybe if he'd moved back to Vancouver or anywhere besides LA, and gotten out of show business he would have found happiness. I feel so sorry for his parents.

Amy

157. I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

Posted at 8:29AM on Feb 26th 2010 by inny

Duh! That comment was really necessary RIGHT NOW wasn't it! A family has been going through hell...a missing son, brother, cousin. And now they know he took his own life. TMZ has every right to edit out negative /disrespectful /hateful comments in light of the subject matter. There is no shortage of you sociopaths who come posting on here, who refuse to put a filter on it over ANYTHING!! I'd say "get a brain" - buy it's a waste of time because some of you people never learn.

k

Such a sad ending. Hope it brings to light that depression is a SERIOUS DISEASE. Prayers to the family & friends he left behind.

simpelandsweet427

Tp Post 155@jdohe.....Maybe he wasn't there when the police looked, but went there BETWEEN the time the police looked and when the family looked. Either way......it's a shame.

simpelandsweet427

It saddens me that people ALWAYS try to find blame with the parents when something like this happens. We, as parents, always try our best. We can only do SO much to help someone, and no matter how much we help, if the person isn't willing to take the help and is too far into their depression to take the help, what else can you do? I'm sure there have been many avenues of help attempted through the years! For those of you trying to blame the parents, please stop it. I just hope something like this never happens to you or someone you love.