'Ax Men' Star's Daughter Killed by Family Dog

3/1/2010 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

'Ax Men' Star's Daughter Killed by Family DogThe 4-year-old daughter of Jesse Browning -- one of the stars of The History Channel's "Ax Men" -- died tragically yesterday in Oregon after being mauled by one of the family's pet Rottweilers.

Jesse -- whose father owns the "Browning Logging" company featured on the show -- called 911 around 1 PM after the dog attacked his daughter Ashlynn at the family home, this according to Clatsop County Sheriff Tom Bergin.

We're told Ashlynn was airlifted to the Oregon Health and Science University Hospital in Portland shortly after the attack ... but was pronounced dead on arrival.

We're told cops are investigating the incident.

Sheriff Bergin tells TMZ the dog involved in the attack -- along with another Rottweiler owned by the family -- was taken to a nearby animal shelter for a mandatory hold.

The family will be given three options on the fate of their dogs -- they can take them back into the home (with restrictions), adopt the dogs out to another family ... or choose to have them euthanized.

And there's this: Bergin said four months ago to the day, one of the family's other Rottweilers attacked another family member -- that dog was put down after the attack.

kris

The lose of a child is the worst possible situation life can throw at you. I hate dogs. I hate them, I hate people who worship dogs and treat them like children.

river rat

Get a Golden Retriever if you have young children. RIP, precious little girl...

Barb

It's the breed not the owner. Always was.

Victoria

I am so sorry for this family's loss. What a tragic occurrance.

I am also sorry that once again the breed that I love is tainted by an owner's ignorance. I have worked in the veterinary field for over 10 years and am more likely to get bit by a Dalmation or a Blue Heeler than any of the breeds termed "dangerous." Or how about the 40 pound mixed breed dog that tried to take my face off today? Get a clue people! The fact of the matter is THEY ARE ALL ANIMALS CAPABLE OF INDEPENDANT THOUGHT!! Teach them how to behave and what is and is not appropriate and you can avoid 99% of these issues. I breed Rottweilers and have a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old daughter, the Rotties have been around my kids their whole life. Fact of the matter is, my kids are taught how to behave around my dogs and my dogs are taught how to behave around my kids and they are NEVER unsupervised long enough for something this tragic to happen- no matter how much I trust them- which I do with all my heart. It is a shame that ignorance and irresponsibility has to create such unjustified blindsighted judgement.

What should people learn from this: don't get an animal you can't handle and are not willing to be responsible with!

God Bless this family, they are in my prayers.

newbie

My deepest sympathies to this family. If this were my dog the sherrif's dept nor animal control would not have to hold this dog awaiting my decision ... 9mm would have put that dog right where it belongs. I love dogs but no dog is more valuable than a child. If my dog were to so much as growl at a child it would be finding another home, with no children, real fast. If he already had one rottie put down for attacking a family member why did he still have any at all??!!!! They had already proven not to be trustworthy.

JM

#8 - You're a racist idiot.

They have the choice to "adopt the dogs out to another family". Yeah, now THAT sounds like a brilliant plan, huh?

Why anyone who has children would want to take the chance with a rottie, pit bull, doberman, poodle, dalmation, or any other breed known for being aggressive is beyond me. Pick. Have a doberman or have a baby. It's really pretty simple, isn't it?

Mike

If I was him I would gut the dog with a chainsaw

Sue Wong

This guy looks like a moron and he is one too. These dogs are dangerous and shouldn't be allowed as pets. They attack and kill more than any other breed and yes, they bite the hand that feeds them. To all the people saying they have them and they're not aggressive, it only takes ONE time. This accident could've been prevented and this moron will have to live with that all his life. May the little girl R.I.P.

stacijohnson777

Lose weight naturally with all natural and fast acting ACAI-eez. ACAI-eez uses a special blend of ingredients that boost metabolism increases digestion and provides a natural source of energy. Get Acai-eez and start losing weight. Acai-eez never auto bills or auto ships and offers a 90 day money back guarantee! Lose weight naturally with Acai-eez at Http://www.acai-eez.com Buy 3 get 1 free

Doglover

Bad animal owner. I've owned dogs my whole life all different breeds (Rotty and Pits included) it all comes down to the owner and training. This guy should obviously not own animals of any kind.

Lori Whistler

This story creeped me out-my two year old son was attacked by our "beloved" german shorthair yesterday. We have 5 dogs, train them, love them and cater to them. This happened because animals are not predictable-they are animals even if we love them, they always will go with their instinct.

Wendy

So sad...Thoughts and prayers are with Jesse, his father Jay and all the Browning family.

mo

no one should have large dogs around small kids.stick to under the 20 lbs group for little kids.unless you are going to be supervising the child and dog 24/7 no big dogs they can overtake kids too easy .

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE

Stupid is as stupid does, the owners are Stupid to have them Stupid dogs around their kids.
Obviously they care more about the Stupid dogs then to think what IF!
Idiots! Plain and simple, Idiots! They should be charged with Neglect. Ignorance and Idiocy!

Rah-Rah

This is so very sad. I really feel for this family's loss.

Dogs likes these (or any hunting/protective breed for that matter) should be euthanized.

Once a dog bites a person, and gets a taste of human blood, the dog's behavior has changed for ever to be more aggressive towards people.