« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ben Roethlisberger Accused of Sexual Assault

3/5/2010 5:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ben Roethlisberger Sexual AssaultPittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of sexual assault by a young woman in Georgia, TMZ has learned.

The alleged incident occurred early this morning at Capital City -- a club in Milledgeville, Georgia.

According to law enforcement sources, the alleged victim -- who has already been interviewed by police -- was treated at a local hospital and released.

We're told in addition to the alleged victim, witnesses are being interviewed -- and one law enforcement source says they will attempt to interview Roethlisberger.

In addition to the Milledgeville Police Dept, we've learned the Georgia Bureau of Investigations is also investigating.

As we previously reported, Roethlisberger is being sued by a Reno woman, Andrea McNulty, who claims the QB sexually assaulted her in 2008.

UPDATE: We're told Ben Roethlisberger has already been interviewed by police. We're also told no formal charges have been filed at this point.

UPDATE 3:30 PM EST: A rep from the Steelers tells TMZ, "We are gathering information on this incident - until then we have no further comment."

Story developing ...

Ben Roethlisberger

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

cindy

I know Ben didnt do anything to any girl lastnight i was at that club and saw Ben and his group there. He was in a corner table with his friends and we took pictures and watched him all night long(hoping to get his autograph too) until he left he didnt go anywhere near the bathrooms plus the ladys bathroom had lines of ppl going in and out of it. This assult thing is made up and assumed by TMZ that it was Ben. It wasnt he was at the table the whole time he had a couple of drinks with a group who looked like body guards and team members then they left. Its not fair for women to do this crap and make things up to try to get attention. Ben is a very nice guy and seems to be an easy target now, I feel bad for him this has to hurt him not to be able to go out anywhere now. He is getting a bad deal and reputation from these's women fantasies of being with a famous QB

cindy

If your being assulted wouldnt you scratch kick and scream and leave a mark on him?? I dont believe this crap of assult and wouldnt have someone seen this? In a busy lady's bathroom doesnt seem like the best place to attack someone and not be seen if youre famous! Im sure everyone in that place had an eye on him that night.

Deserei

You know cindy, if this is true you should go to the police and tell them what really happened.

Big Papi

Oh PLEASE! So Ben got a knobber in the men's room stall from some bar fly...whoop dee freaking doo. Now she sees an opportunity for a cash grab and some cheap fame, and trumping up some bogus charges. He could get any woman he wanted.

Stevereeno

He's got his buddies or bodyguards, whatever they are there with him and he's in a crowded bar with lots of people are trying to meet him and taking pictures and he's the focus of everyones attention.
Hardly the moment to then do sexual asault on someone it seems to me.
Bar ladies rooms aren't known for their quiet out of eyesight privacy, you practicaly need a traffic cop to direct the stalls.

It just seems odd to me.

pamhd

Again, another woman who wants her 15 minutes of fame in this reality star world. Andrea McNulty found out fame wasnt all it was cracked up to be.

getheknockout

I love how everyone KNOWS the accuser is lying. Unless you were personally with Ben all night how do you know he didnt rape her unless that's what you already wanted to believe?

Stupid TMZ

Are you white people serious? Tiger had consentual sex, Ben Roethlisberger took sex, which is a crime. Big difference!!!!! He better get the same treatment as Kobe or Mike Tyson, dirty bastard!!! Ben Roethlisberger is a 2x RAPIST........

Deserei

#91. I'm not white, I'm black and even I know this story is bogus. If you really put the pieces together, The story wouldn't make sense. Your wrong, The first sexual assault charge was also bogus, it was even confirmed. The woman was a nut, who had fantasties about ben and wanting to have his baby, like come on who say's that and then accuse them of sexual assault, on a civil charge?. If I was her I would had made a criminal charge aganist him and have him throwing in jail. But she made a civil one, come on it's obvious that this woman wanted his money. The people she worked with, even said the story was false. The only crime ben is probably even guilty of is hooking with that buck tooth bimbo in the first place. This second assault case story just don't click for me at all. I was watching the news here in Pittsburgh and the girl described the guy as a 6'5, 241lb guy, like how do she even know the exact height and weight of the guy and on top of that they never said the guy was ben,this story just sound bogus to me. TMZ is making it out to be him, when they know crap about who did it. You know what, I'm just going to wait for the outcome of this story, because I think it's sad for ben to go through this again. I honestly think ben needs to stop hanging out in clubs around 20 year old college girls, because they are nothing but trouble for him. I'm not saying this, because I'm a Steeler fan even if I wasn't I would have said the same thing about this case. All I have to say is, ben's rep is officially ruined., this could possibily ruin his football career, I hope it doesn't. Cause he's one of the best quarterbacks today.

Bacon

"Do some of you ever stop to think that your immediate rejection of the woman's credibility might not have something to do with why more rape victims don't speak up? It is wonderful to not assume Ben is guilty, but you should also not assume that this woman is lying."

========================

Thank you. Reading some of these comments made me lose some faith in humanity, but you've restored a little bit of it. I know I shouldn't expect much from TMZ fans, but the immediate assumption that the accuser in this case is lying, and the hideously misogynistic insults hurled at her, is disturbing to say the least.

I agree that the sentiments expressed here don't exist in a vacuum, and potentially having to face the kind of disdain displayed here might keep a rape victim from coming forward. It's bad enough for a victim to have to relive the experience over and over when dealing with the legal and criminal side, having to deal with abuse from people passing judgment and hearing comments like the ones I see here about her just being a gold digger would make it so much worse and scare a victim into the shadows while her (or his, if the victim is male) gets to prance around freely like nothing ever happened.

I'm not going to offer an opinion on Roethlisberger's guilt or innocence until more facts are known. If he did it, he should go to prison. If he didn't and she's lying, the truth will out, and she should be censured for wasting the police's time. If she eventually recants, I can only hope that it's because she wasn't raped and feels remorse for falsely accusing BR and not because she was threatened into it by death threats or other attacks and feared for her life.

And to the people screaming "gold digger:" please point out where it's stated that the victim *in this case* is looking for money. Right now, it's strictly a criminal case, and nothing has been said whatsoever about any sort of financial demands on her part. Just because a few others have attempted to extort money by making likely-false rape accusations, it doesn't mean that all women are looking to do so. Until and unless it starts looking like she's trying to shake him down, the knee-jerk assumption that she's just looking for money says a lot more about your character than it does about hers.

Bacon

Also, to the people wondering why someone would commit rape when plenty of others are willing to have sex with him, that's not really how rape works. There are plenty of rapists out there who suffer no shortage of interested potential partners. Some even have wives or girlfriends at home. There are lots of reasons why rape occurs, and one of them is a massive sense of entitlement coupled with an equally massive amount of contempt for the gender group the potential victim belongs to. It's not about just being horny and needing to find an outlet but being unable to. Someone without these issues wouldn't have it even cross their mind that they could "resort" to rape in order to deal with a situation that could be rectified by going home and masturbating.

Again, I'm not saying this is the case with BR and I'm not implying that I've made a decision about his guilt or innocence one way or the other. I'm just offering a little education about rape, that's all.

cindy

First Point: Since the official drinking age in the State of Georgia, just what was a 20 year old doing in this bar. Did she offer phony identification to gain entry and is her story as phony as he I.D.?

cindy

As Cindy pointed out. Just what was a 20 year old phony doing in a bar when the official age for drinking in Georgia is 21? Legal point!!!! And was the bar derelict in carding or checking official identification when admitting a 20 year old into it's establishment. Can you believe this woman? She is a phony card-carrying coed who probably needs some extra money.

mga

Drinking age in GA is 21, but you can be in a bar at 18.

Nancy

With this second accusation, it makes one wonder about Big Ben's actions. Does he not understand "No"?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments