'Amazing Race' Star Linked to Drug Investigation

3/9/2010 3:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

One of the Rhode Island police officers competing on the current season of "The Amazing Race" has been taken off the streets in the wake of an internal investigation into a major cop-operated cocaine ring.

According to the Rhode Island State Police, Louie Stravato has been put on "desk duty" -- after his name came up in a "four month" investigation into a "large-scale" cocaine distribution operation.

Three officers were arrested in a sting operation -- but Stravato was not among them.

According to law enforcement, Stravato was among 4 officers assigned to the desk work following the investigation. The RISP would not comment on the nature of Stravato's involvement in the case.

Calls to CBS were not returned.

Stravato83

My father has done nothing wrong he is a excellent police officer and a great father. He's a 24 year veteran with the police department. Just reading what all of you have written is very disturbing for somebody you don't know and it's really funny how you can judge somebody just like that by watching a tv show he's on.

LYNNE LA BIANCA

DO YOU GUYS EVEB KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MAN???? I DO, I HAVE KNOWN HIM FOR 47 YEARS AND AM PROUD TO CALL HIM MY COUSIN. THERE IS "NOT A DOUBT", NOT EVEN A "WINK OF A THOUGHT" OR A "MAYBE", THAT LOU TOOK DRUGS. TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE HIS "TRUE" FRIENDS AND HIS FAMILY, WE STICK BY YOU LOU BECAUSE WE KNOW THE REAL YOU. GOD BLESS HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY FOR DOING SO. HE HAS BEEN DEDICATED TO HIS CAREER FOR 24 YEARS AND HAS RECEIVED MEDALS OF HONOR FOR THE WORK HE HAS DONE. HE IS AN IDEAL PILLAR OF THE COMMUNITY; HE HAS "NOT BEEN CONVICTED" OF ANYTHING AND "WON'T" BE. YOU GUYS HAVE HIM LOCKED UP WITH THE KEY THROWN AWAY! WHAT I HAVE READ HERE IS SICKENING. LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS TO USE PROTOCOL BY STANDARD PROCEDURE. HE WILL BE BACK ON THE STREETS DOING WHAT HE LOVES MOST VERY SOON. YOU WILL ALL SEE. DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANY KIND OF LIFE RATHER THAN READING THIS CRAP?? I GUESS "ENQUIRING MINDS JUST NEED TO KNOW"! I'M DISGUSTED BY MY FELLOW RHODE ISLANDER'S WHO HAVE WRITTEN HIM OFF AS A "PIG" OR BELIEVE THIS COMPLETE OUTRIGHT LIE! IT'S HORRIBLE! SHAMEFUL FOR "YOU". GET A LIFE!! HE IS AN "AMAZING" MAN, WHO HAS LEAD AN HONEST, DECENT LIFE. WE LOVE YOU LOU, COUSINS LYNNE & MIKE

LYNNE LA BIANCA

...I HAVE ONE MORE THING TO SAY TO YOU PEOPLE WHO CONTINUE TO DRAG HIS NAME THROUGH THE MUD WITH YOUR NASTY COMMENTS. I WENT BACK AND READ THEM AGAIN: OK, HIS "MUSTACHE" SAYS HE'S A COKE HEAD? ALL COPS ARE "PIGS", "MOBSTAHS", HE'S "TARNISHED THE "AMAZING RACE BECAUSE HE DRANK BEER??? (YOU WOULD DOWN IT FOR A MILLION BUCKS AND DON'T SAY YOU WOULDN'T!!!). HOLY CRAP?!!! YOU PEOPLE REALLY DO HAVE NOTHING TO DO! I REFUSE TO COME BACK TO THIS WEB SITE AND READ YOUR CRAP! WE LOVE YOU, LOU. COUSINS LYNNE & MIKE

Taylor

Louie is a good guy and a good police officer. He is only on admin duty. That is a common practice in the PPD when an investigation is being conducted. I've know Louie for a long time. I sincerely doubt that he is involved with this situation. Let's not throw him under the bus before everything shakes out! Good luck, Louie.

bleau

im from Rhode Island no surprise for our state.If he was caught doing something he would have beed busted just like the other four,and be awaiting bail.Except for the cop who was granted bail that day,only because he was a coke head and not a drug dealer.P.S wouldnt be because he is married to a worker of the mayor!!!!!!!As for louie i no him and he is a good guy.

jean jean

Louie is one of the finest men I have ever known. Too bad that he has to be subjected to this nonsense. Let's rally for Louie. God Bless.

buffbodz

I know Louie. He's no user or dealer. You people will think what you want, but I have firsthand knowledge of Louie. He's a strong family man and a workout freak. I have known the man for over 15 years and have even been to his house for party's. Booze yes, drugs, of any kind, NO.

Karen

Workout freak? Obviously you didn't see him crawling through the trenches in this week's episode of Amazing Race. LOL I don't know Louie but I agree that until the investigation is complete he should not be presumed guilty.

greyghost

These Narcotics Detectives up there in little Rhody Island been running drug houses for a long time now and get away with it. They are connected with the RI mobs. How is this guy is going to retire a MILLIONEeR as he said on the Amazing Race?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2