Corey Haim -- Vicodin, Valium, Soma Found

3/11/2010 3:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Corey HaimTMZ has learned the four pill bottles found in the apartment where Corey Haim collapsed yesterday included the generic versions of Vicodin and Valium ... and the same doctor prescribed all 4 powerful meds just days before Haim died.

Law enforcement sources tell us the pill bottles retrieved in the apartment of Haim's mother are hydrocodone (Vicodin), diazepam (Valium), haloperidol (an antipsychotic med) and Soma (a muscle relaxer).

We're told all four meds were prescribed by a prominent Los Angeles psychiatrist. Sources say all four meds were prescribed the same day -- several days before Haim died.

The L.A. County Coroner's Office would not comment on the specific meds found, nor would officials say how many pills -- if any -- were missing from the bottles.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe Haim died from an accidental overdose of meds, though nothing is final until the Coroner's toxicology reports are in.

There have been reports Haim admitted in the past to taking as many as 85 Valium pills a day.

Haim collapsed in his mother's apartment early yesterday and was pronounced dead 2 1/2 hours later.

Remembering Corey Haim

LMAO

And for all of you talking so much crap...walk a mile in his shoes. Only God can judge...Obviously you have all led PERFECT lives....Ya...right...Kiss my @ss

chalkoutline

Were they in his name?
I demand a full investigation of this dr.
I am sick and tired of the rich and famous getting
boat loads of meds and the rest of us have to beg and
go without needed medications.

We need a new system, dr's policing dr's DOES NOT WORK!

andrew silver

I'd say being a Hollywood celeb is what got him so many prescriptions. I know the effects of most of those drugs, and they can easily become a deadly mix. I'd say Conrad Murray isn't the only Dr. Death out there.

richard g

corey your a solid guy and so is the other corey all these people who talk neg are haters and got no life but to log on to tmz 100 times a day with no clue!...here to u 2 guys!

Skyhigh

Doctors just love pushing the pills!
Psychiatrists to my knowledge can't prescribe pain pills-but valium/anxiety pills and sleeping pills they can.
Doctors don't prescribe pain pills unless there is a legitimate ongoing problem with chronic pain-and then-they aren't too generous about the prescriptions they hand out-fearful of people getting addicted.
We all have our addictions-- but some carry it too far-needing more and more--Mixing too many meds can be a lethal toxic combo---too bad for anybody that don't have that control! Get higher and higher-keep abusing-taking much more then needed-and you'll end up like so many that should've not died so young. So sad for Corey....

AJLind

THE DOCTOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PATIENT.

If a person takes their medications the CORRECT way then they do not die or it is not likely that they die.

Corey Haim admitted in the past to abusing drugs.

The questions rather should be:

1. Why did he need Vicodin? Did he have pain or not?

2. Why did he need Soma? Did he have muscles that needed relaxing?

3. Why did he need Valium? Was he anxious or have panic disorder?

4. Why did he need he need Halperidol? Was he hallucinating?

These are all questions that only the physician in question can answer.

There are millions of people who are prescribed the same drugs and do not abuse them and manage to stay alive.

Medications are a powerful tool for LIVING - WHEN USED CORRECTLY.

AJLind

BTW, 100!

Veronica

I feel bad for his famiy. Everybody want's to blame the doctor. But the sad reality is that celebrities get what they want a lot easier than the average Joe. Now a days doctor's give out more pill's than a Pez dispenser. It's unfortunate but it is reality. I once had a sore throat went to my practitioner and he asked me if I wanted a script for hydrocodone I said no but if they were to ask an addict that question the chances of them saying no is slim to nil. We also live in a society that bombards with all kinds of medications for emotional and mental issues. I do belive some people need these medications but I also belive a lot of people need to seek alternate help. A pill won't solve your problem it often makes thigs worse. Half of the crapo thats out there is poison anyway it all does a lot more damage than good. Try reading a black box warning on these meds.

wtf

Who was bashing the Canadian system? I couldn't even get Percocets after having a C-section. The highest they would prescribe was T-3s. I was in emerg one night and the guy in the next cubby was trying to get pain meds refilled and they called his Dr in Alberta (we were in Ontario) and made them fax his prescription records before they would touch him. In a serious life event and major depression, my Dr prescribed Atavan... and would only prescribe it for 10 days, during which time he had a nurse visiting my house daily to check on me. Drs in California are Facked, this happens way too often with celebrities. Money can buy you anything, including a quick ride to your grave. Start pulling licenses and get this under control.

ma re

You do we always have to have someone else held accountable for our actions. HE committed suicide. We would have found another way to accomplish his task had he no access to the drugs. We hold the doctor accountable. People, no one is responsible for our action but ourselves!

Nikki K

Poor guy. Probably just had a headache...

Linda

I think the social security # to doctors and pharmacys is a great idea, but I think the drug company want that to happen. Its amazing how this problem continues.There are millions of Americans addicted to pain pills and everything else. People are dying eveyday from drug overdoses . Its not just the Celeb.. My brother 46 died in 2006 from aoverdose of oxycotin. Some stupid pain mang. doctor was giving him 160 80mg 4 times aday. Why and the hell would anybody need that much relief. I might could see it if he had cancer and dieing, but he was a construction worker working hard and in good health. He did have a back problem but dam it crazy how some doctors are giving people way to much. I know he was to blame for overdosing but people get on this stuff and cant stop because they get to sick. I just pray DEA or somebody will get stronger laws .People are dying.And to lose a loved one is very painful

kittytoes

Here on this comment board we have the ones who criticize the people because they become addicts to begin with. We have the ones blaming the doctors for prescribing the drugs. We have the ones who think it's okay for people to do whatever they want to do. Bottom line, just about anything done in excess is going to kill you. The doctors out in LA LA Land know this, you know this, the people taking the dope know this. I am an EX addict to Vicodin. I was on those things for 10 years. At first it was legitimate, but it didn't take long to become addicted. You hear people say, "You took 20 of those a day? If I took ONE I would be out for 24 hours". THERE LIES THE PROBLEM PEOPLE!!!! Some people can pass out with one pill for 24 hours and others have built up a tolerance to them because they have taken them so long they need more and more to achieve the same affect. There are two types of people that take controlled substances too. One will sleep for a long time after just taking one and the other will take one and want to conquer the world. It gave me a false sense of security and self-esteem. It gave me BOUNDLESS energy at first UNTIL the amount of acetaminophen (Tylenol) I was putting in my body on a daily basis had just about put me into poisoning my liver. Tylenol is VERY toxic to our livers. Thank God I had enough and I went to a wonderful physician who put me on a new medication that helped me get off the Vicodin. I wish everyone who is on Vicodin or OxyContin, any of the opiates, would read this.

The medication I am referring to is called SUBOXONE. It works similar to the old-fashioned methadone, but the difference is you can go to your physician who participates in the Suboxone program, get your prescription and go home and take it exactly as instructed. You DO NOT go through withdrawals and you NEVER feel bad for ONE second. They wean you down SO SO gradually that you never miss the SUBOXONE. I am still amazed how it worked for me. You don't have to go into a doctors office every day for your medicine. And for those who think you can get HIGH from it....WRONG!!! You can't. I would recommend and ask that ANYONE who is addicted to opiates (i.e. Vicodon, OxyContin, Percocet, Percodan, Norco, Darvocet, Dilaudid, morphine, EVEN HEROIN) PLEASE find a participating physician in your area and set up an appt. to see them. My insurance pays for my care and my prescriptions. If you don't have good prescription coverage you can expect to pay around $500.00 a month (the cheapest I've heard of) for the medication, but chances are if you're an addict you're spending WAY over that right now. The doctors have to take a special course to even participate in the Suboxone program. They are only allowed BY LAW to have a certain number of patients they treat for Suboxone therapy. Most of the doctors who participate are the kindest, most understanding of the lot of them...I have had to go through 2 of them because we moved in the middle of my treatment and they BOTH listened and took time with me and simply cared. It saved my life and all because I heard about it on a radio commercial one day.

To those of you who are critical of those of us who have or have HAD addiction issues...shame on you. It was the most horrible time of my life when I was on those opiates. I looked like hell, lost a lot of weight, I looked in the mirror and the mirror said "Oh, you look great"! Stop being critical of others. You NEVER will know what has taken them to that point of addiction. Everyone handles different things that happen (i.e. stress, sadness, overwhelming feelings of being out of control) and those opiates would take that all away and make me feel "normal" or what I thought "normal" should feel like. I was self medicating and it lied to me and told me it was working. GET THE HELP YOU NEED FOLKS!!!! Put the drug companies OUT OF BUSINESS. They are the biggest reason we are in this health care mess we're in to begin with. I'm not saying that trading one pill for another is a good thing, but the Suboxone was a magic bullet for me. It just might be for you too. Just take them EXACTLY EXACTLY as the doctor tells you to and you will be off opiates and living life again. It's amazing how wonderful the REAL NORMAL feels. Blessings to you all...........Donna

xdmann

RIP Corey Haim. The fight is over. My heart goes out to his mother.

gbpLA

Prescription drugs are an epidemic nationally. At least Oprah has helped one actress avoid going down the same path as Corey, MJ, and many others.