Gabourey Sidibe -- Beauty Comes in All Sizes

3/16/2010 10:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gabourey Sidibe -- Beauty Comes in All SizesGabourey Sidibe might have a weight problem, but it doesn't mean she's unhealthy ... this according to the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA). Yes, that's a real group.

As we first reported, a weight loss company is reaching out to the Oscar-nominated "Precious" star in an effort to help her lose weight and get healthy.

But according to a spokeswoman for NAAFA, being heavy doesn't always mean being unhealthy. Peggy Howell tells TMZ, "You cannot tell by looking at a person if they are healthy. Fat does not equal disease and thin does not equal healthy."

Howell also said NAAFA does not encourage people to get fat or stay fat and reminded us, "Achievements come in all sizes."

Gabourey Sidibe Pics

c1776

Hey, it isn't my business if any is fat or not. Unless I'm paying for it, and if Pelosi has her way, I will be paying for your big fat roll. So, if I'm paying for your fat butt, get on the track and start losing that weight. It WILL BE MY BUSINESS AND EVERYONE ELSE'S as soon as we're paying for it by force.

lizzybeth

Some of you people commenting on here are absolutely disgusting! Yes, she needs to lose weight, so do I... so do I'm sure half the people on here making these rude, insensitive comments. How about trying to encourage her to lose the weight instead of name calling and putting her down? Seriously, how old are you people?! Grow up already!!

Curious

She seems to be OK with her weight, but I don't like to look at people that large. I avoid looking at them because to me they are disgusting and they make me nauseous.

MarkL

Theres' no way someone that size can have proper hygiene.
Even if her heart isn't giving out already, she's suffering from the lack of ability to live a normal life.

greatneck

OK, for now, she's young, picture 20years,or less. If, she is still alive. Very unattractive, no startlet lifestyle for her,magazine covers, make-up companies.. Boils down to loss the weight, or lose $$$$$$$$, bottom line.

honesty

I have a good friend. She was injured in a bad accident 10 years ago. She has severe nerve damage(bad doc, immoble too long, clot from her ankle all the way up her leg, if she was so healthy she would have died.) and is in pain if she stands up and she has lost her right knee cap. She is a large woman now. If she stands up for 20 seconds the pain gets so intense she will pass out. She has to use a wheelchair to move anywhere over 25 feet, and she cannot climb steps, or bend at her knee. (The lack of a right knee cap will do that to you.
Other than being large she is healthy(except for the constant pain). Her blood pressure is usually 100/60. Her total cholesterol is 130(far from the 200 warning). Her upper body is strong as a horse.
She has an IQ of 155. She is a very sweet giving soul. She is loyal and honest. She is one of the purest souls I have ever met. She is the type of person that animals and children flock to. She is always trying to do something. She is far from lazy. I am sick of people ASSUMING things about her because she is large. It definately shows more about them, then it ever does about her.

honesty

How many of you realize that ulcers are caused by a bacteria,H. pylori bacteria. It is not caused by stress or what people eat? It was not discovered until 1982 and then it took awhile for proven enough for doctors to believe it and treat for it.
Now they think they have found a group of viruses that caused the body to store fat at an increased rate. It is located in the intestines(one of the reasons it has taken so long to find it). It slows down your metabolism and increased your appetite.
They are working on this adenovirus, but it takes time. Here is the study for anyone who actually wants to read it, instead of jumping to conclusions.

Chenoa

People who are a size 0 can have high cholesterol, high BP & other health issues. Just because she is larger, it DOES NOT mean she is unhealthy. Sure, the weight is an issue but unless people know her specific medical history, they don't know what's going on in her body. She was probably big as a baby, toddler, child = genetics. Some people don't realize that genetics play a huge role in body type. I think she is BEAUTIFUL.

pinkpanther

My Mother always told me to look on the inside and not the outside.
I pity you people who are so full of hate for someone you don't know. You must be miserable to need to insult other people just to try to make yourself look better. Bad news haters, decent people can see you for the black hearted, selfish, lazy haters you are. Your stripes are showing. I pray you find some peace.

Susan

It's a proven fact that obesity equals disease. The National Assoc. to Advance Fat Acceptance? Give me a break. Not only is she obese, she is morbidly obese (100 lbs overweight). Just a few of the diseases that being obese brings on:

* Coronary heart disease
* Stroke
* High blood pressure
* Fatty liver disease
* Osteoarthritis
* Gout, a disease affecting the joints
* Diabetes
* Gallbladder disease
* Respiratory problems, including sleep apnea
* Cancer
* Reproductive and fertility problems

Unless this woman does something, she is not going to be around for very long.

bruce

overweight doesnt mean unhealthy, it doesnt help, but obese generally doesnt go along with good health. this woman,while a probably a very nice person and a very good actress is obese, not by just a little either, i would say to encourage her that shes beautiful as she looks now is not only dishonest but hurtful. if this talented actress wants to see a life that doesnt include not being able to walk up a flight of stairs without almost fainting, probably diabetes, and other serious physical problems, shes really best off being told the truth and should be encouraged to lose some weight. she doesnt have to be a runway model at 105 lbs but to be that heavy is a death ticket. and these women on shows like the view and people like oprah who combat the general concesus that she is unhealthy at that weight are liars and clearly dont care about this girl. ive been 60 pounds overweight in my life , im 6'2 been 285 now 225 and at 285 tying my shoes was like running a marathon, walking up a flight of stairs required a break midway, you sweat in 30 degree weather after walking for five minutes, those arent good signs, after getting rid of the weight with a revolutionary new program called , eating less, and excercising regularly, my life is much easier. i stopped eating garbage and started working out regularly and like magic in 10 months i was back to being able to function without feeling like i was carrying an 85 pound rottweiler on my back. lets just be honest and stop thinking that anyone who makes a comment that someone is too heavy is being mean, callinng someone names and being disrespectful about it is mean, but pointing out that walking around 150 pounds or so too heavy for your height is not a good idea is the opposite of mean. common sense .

Lynn

She needs to take some of the money she made and get the lap band. Obesity is killing America. She will not live much past 40 at this weight. Not being mean because she is a very pretty girl in the face and would be a lot pretty without all that fat pushing her eye closed.

Bee

I speak from experience: my husband is quite overweight, but has once a year physicals at the doctor and they ALWAYS come out very good; he's in perfect health! So I would say don't just judge a book by it's cover...

Sly

Hey TMZ.. you know what also equals unhealthy... really skinny people.. But for some reason you are obsessed with talking about her

TaraF

As a FAT person myself, fat does not equal healthy. Granted just because you are fat it doesn't mean you are falling apart at the seams, but even if you are relatively healthy now it DOES leave the door open for more health issues to arise than our skinny counterparts. Having said that, skinny doesn't mean healthy either, especially if skinny is being achieved by skipping meals, throwing up etc. Post # 1, Big Boned is completely different than fat. Gabby is not big boned she is morbidly obese. To say she is healthy is a crock. As I stated, I am fat myself (working on losing the weight) but I am EASILY 100lbs less than Gabby and I have Type 2 Diabetes, which is due to being fat. I'm all for Fat Acceptance meaning all I ask is that you treat me like a Human Being and nothing else just because I'm fat. But what I'm not for is denial. Fat is unhealthy, let's not sugarcoat that.