Brittany Murphy -- Hundreds of Pills a Month

3/20/2010 5:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Brittany Murphy received no fewer than 200 pills every month from January 2008 through August 2009 ... and sometimes as many as 400.

As we first reported, Murphy used an alias -- Lola Manilow Murphy -- at Eddie's Pharmacy in Los Angeles for nearly two years before the pharmacy finally cut her off 4 months before her death.

Pharmacy records show Murphy was getting regular scrips for hydrocodone (Vicodin), clonazepam and Klonopin (anti-anxiety), and Vicoprofen (a Vicodin/ibuprofen combo) -- doubling up on some prescriptions on certain months.

For example, one month Murphy was prescribed 200 hydrocodone and 100 clonazepam; another month it was 300 Vicoprofen and 100 Klonopin.

All the prescriptions were prescribed by Dr. Richard Kroop. We're told investigators paid a visit to Kroop on Friday afternoon.

As we first reported, the owner of Eddie's Pharmacy told TMZ he cut Brittany and her family off 4 months before her death because, "We thought there was going to be an accident there."

CVS Whore

Unless someone goes to the same chain, or the same MD, there is NO WAY TO KEEP TRACK OF Rx's.
$$$$$ talks, and it's Really not that they don't care, it's just they don't have all the info.
If you pay cash, NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW.
Sad but true.

rickyrickrick

doctors in California, what r u doing 2 r celebrities? what r California authorities doing about these doctors?

hysteria

Klonopin is a lame drug. It hardly does anything. And it's not "horrifyingly addictive". I took it for about five years and quit with no problem. It's often prescribed instead of the much more addictive xanax. People are dumb.

www.laduidefenseteam.com

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that died. That's A LOT of pills.

ltlmstrblmkr

RE:::41. I am a patient of Dr. Kroop and he has been treating my intractable pain for 12 plus years through the assistance of a Pain Management Physician at USC. He is very strict with the prescriptions that he writes and would never knowing over-prescribe. I believe that he was duped by multiple patients sent by Ms. Murphy in order to score her fix. He is an EXCELLENT doctor and I trust him with my life and my families. It needs to be clarified about how the prescriptions were obtained before a good doctor's name is slandered.

Posted at 9:48AM on Mar 20th 2010 by Hugh M.

*************

#1.how can you equate your dealings with a dr with anyone elses,even if it is the same dr? are you a celeb?they DO get treated differently,fyi.& I'm thinking their $ is maybe alil more enticing than yours.SOME drs are on the up&up with their regular patients but diff with their famous or more affluent ones.This is a fact,as my own bro is a shrink in NYC & I hear him oft remark about how some famous types will approach him or his colleges,expecting special favors,thinking their celeb matters,(no prob,he doesn't name names,just vents his frustration).
You're saying the dr was duped by BM,has it occurred to you that possibly she was the dupEE,not the dupeR?possibly the hubby sent others,then again,ANY slightly intelligent person can see that those aliases are ,well,ALIASES.
What kinda dr or pharmacy gives meds without proper ID?I can even see the pharmacy flubbin that,but not a dr!What?they paid cash upfront for the visit?come on now.....be real!it sounds likes even your beloved oh-so trustworthy dr is shady! he just sees any patient ONCE & gives them a serious script?? admit it, when your own head clears from your scripts.....SOMETHING is very very wrong with this whole scenerio

rickyrickrick

what r lawyers saying or doing about these doctors?

Hmmm

A Joint a Day Keeps the Doctor away! ...Oh wait, or is it apple! Oop's my bad!

fyfn

Good job TMZ! Keep the message about addiction out there. Doctors take an oath not to harm their patients. If they violate the moral and ethical code they have no right to a medical license.

Rock on TMZ!

Warren

SIMON MONJACK IS A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR. HE HAS LIED TO THE MEDIA AND TO THE PUBLIC ABOUT THE EVENTS SURROUNDING BRITTANY'S DEATH. SOMEONE NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE THIS MAN.

spiderman

That doctor otta be going to prison!I knew there was more to the story!I really think that there is even more to the story!I've been seeing Brittany in that movie she was in with Michael Douglas!And she really desrxed an award for her acting in that movie!She really deserves a star on Hollywood Blvd.!Another corrupt doctor1Anyone that would vote for that health care bill that Obama is pushing is dumb or corrupt!What they are really trying to do is push forced health care!And Obama is in on it because his wife worked at University Of Chicago Hospitol!That hospitol was known for using people as test monkeys! As a matter of fact there was a guy named Bart Ross that they used as a test monkey,and he lost half of his jaw because of it!He then tried to sue in a federal court!But the judge refused him a jury trial,and would'nt allow him to sue!So Bart Ross killed the federal judges family!She gave him the death sentence by not allowing him his legal right to a jury trial!So he killed her family so that she would have to live with what she did wrong!they really gotta put a stop to all the corrupt doctors!Sincerly:GregoryA.Marzec ~ TheChicagoKid !

Melissa

This is aimed at state of anxiety...when I was 17 (this was 19 years ago) I was diagnosed with having a severe Anxiety/Panic Attack Disorder and have been on medications ever since. This is not a "Hollywood" illness...it is a real problem for MANY people. Some have such a severe disorder that they can no longer leave their homes. I am a lot better then I was -- THANKFULLY -- but I do remember a time when I couldn't walk down the steps to get my mail because I was so terrified. All because of anxiety. Also, I tried relaxation CDs -- didn't work, I attempted to kill myself by doing yoga -- again, didn't work, I do have a health diet and I exercise -- the exercise works, but having a healthy diet does NOT stop one from being struck down by a massive anxiety/panic attack. Your judgement of Britney Murphy on something you obviously know NOTHING about (severe/anxiety panic disorders) is just WRONG. Try having a severe panic attack -- try having a couple -- then get back to me on what works and what doesn't work. Also, I don't have a fat, stupid bastard of a husband to blame for my disorder either -- so whose fault is it?

YES, Britney Murphy was taking too many medications...her pharmacy knew it and cut her off. She was obviously on a road to self destruction but not because of ONE pill she takes for anxiety. I take Klonopin myself and it works wonderfully. I, of course, follow the instructions of my Doctor and take the proper amount...which is actually a VERY low dosage (1.5 mg. a day)...I don't drink with my medication...I don't mix it with other medications. I want to live...apparently Britney Murphy didn't.

Again, get back to me when you have actually experienced a real anxiety/panic attack. Maybe you won't be so quick to call it a "Hollywood" fluff illness.

c

She was an addict. PERIOD. Anyone saying she wasn't is crazy. Even her BEST FRIENDS are saying she was and they tried to get her help.
FYI: Typically narcotics are NOT given for "cramps" usually we start the person off on birth control pills which helps with cramps AND iron deficiency anemia (which she also had, which is very easily treated with even over the counter iron pills/vitamins) we are guessing because of heavy periods. HOWEVER with all this being said if she WAS being prescribed ALL THOSE narcotics legitimately THE DOCTOR WOULD HAVE ALSO BEEN CORRECTLY TREATING HER FOR pneumonia AND iron deficiency anemia. What kind of doctor is this stupid?! Throw pain pills at her because she's an addict and NOT treat her real aliments HE SHOULD LOSE his license. I don't know what the hell is wrong with doctors in LA but if pill seekers come into my office they are told to buy them off the street I won't cater to them. Even "pain management" clinics should know better than this. I'm pissed at this whole unnecessary situation.

NickSunset

Yeah but she was married to a real man that "Took" care of her and put his foot down when she went to far.

Girls let this be a lesson to you it is not always a good idea to marry the rich jew.

Woodcock

I'm sure its been said before, but Clonozepam and Klonopin are the same thing. Klonopin is a name brand for clonozepam. Anybody who thought she wasn't abusing drugs, pharmaceutical or otherwise is retarded. There were times she'd speak in public and it was so obvious to anyone who has used any drug that she was spun out of her mind. Her death is certainly a loss and I feel for her family, but these hollywood types need to have the brains to understand that life isn't an endless party and even if a doctor gives you drugs, it doesn't mean they are safe to use. Now if you'll excuse me I have to take my daily dose of klonopin

kim

We can all blame the doctors and the pharmacies, but I blame the mother, the loser husband and any of her friends that allowed it. There is another issue here, and it's the fact she had an obvious eating disorder to go with her drug problem. Combine both and what do you get? Disaster? Iron deficiancies can be corrected with vitamins and FOOD! She ranks among the many ie: Victoria Beckham, Olsen twins, Nicole Richie, and the countless others who actually expect the public to believe '' I eat a lot'', ''I just watch what I eat'' BS!!!!!! These women are starving before our very eyes, with their giant heads, ematicated arms and legs and they get to grace the covers of magazines, and speak about their painfully thin bodies. Giving them attention for their eating disorders is just rewarding them for their deceptions. Britney was not a naturally skinny girl, anyone can see by tracing her career back. She developed an eating disorder that was combined with a drug problem. Sad no one close to her got her help, actually fed her real food and took her to the hospital or doctor when she complained of flu like symptoms. Shame on the damm lot of them! Lets see how long it will be before we discover Simon and her mother are now lovers...falling into love because '' thats what Britnay would have wanted '' - lol! I love Hollywood coz the BS wagon never stops running over with the lies and crap the messed up addicted/disorder celebs and their marketing machine throws at us. We lick the scraps and want to believe the endless lies. Bottom line she had issues!