Rip Torn: I'm No Gun Slangin' Bank Robber

3/30/2010 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Rip Torn just pled not guilty to gun and burglary charges -- over an incident in January where cops say the actor was so drunk, he broke into a bank with a loaded gun because he thought it was his own house.

Rip Torn: Click to watch
Torn appeared in Litchfield County Court in Connecticut this morning, where he faced charges of first-degree burglary, carrying a pistol without a permit, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, second-degree criminal trespass, and third-degree criminal mischief.

Torn's attorney told the court that Rip is making progress in his alcohol rehabilitation program and has moved from an inpatient to an outpatient program.

Rip is due back in court on April 27.

Thanks to WTNH for the video.

Voivode

Rip Torn is great for providing all of us great mug shots. They might not be in the same league as Nick Nolte or James Brown, but they are damn good.

Amy

TMZ should have a side by side of this guy and Jack Nicholson

jwoolman

They should just drop the charges related to the bank "break-in" since it's so obvious it was just a drunken mistake (the bank does look like a house! what do they expect?) and not an attempt to rob the bank. Go after him for carrying a gun without a permit while drunk as a skunk, though.... Yikes. Think of what could have happened! Even if he had a permit.

too bad it wasnt a bullet

maybe not.........BUT YOU LOOK LIKE YOU ARE ONE BIG DRUGGIE LUSH...LOOK AT WHAT THE DRINK HAS CAUSED YOU TO LOOK LIKE...SOME OLD ALCHOLIC BUM, WITH VERY LITTLE TIME LEFT ON THIS EARTH....NO NOT A BANK ROBBER ...JUST A STUPID DRUNEN GEEZER!

mom

If he lived in your town you would feel differently. What if he broke into a residential home, drunk, with a gun and used it to kill someone thinking it was an intruder? He should be treated like the average person...JAIL TIME! And to get off because you are COOOLLLLL STAR.. That thinking may work in HOLLYWOOD but not in SMALL TOWN USA!

too bad it wasnt a bullet

he needs to be put in an OLD FOLKS HOME...it is apparent that he cant take care of himself...bet his house is a filthy mess of booze and feces...thats what he looks like...a drunk that cannot take care of himself...and yes his wife died...so did my mom and my dad didnt end up like this drunken b'stard

genaia

Hello can this jury hear me? Is this a trial or a wake?

Read more: http://www.happycentertravel.com/select_nile_cruise/41-nile-cruises-in-egypt.html

PolarBear

This was all over-done. Obviously he wasn't there as a burglar.

Jamaican Sam

Hey aren't those rapist glasses by Jon LaJoie?

Ed Wode

I have known Rip Torn for forty years, since he attempted to testify for me in the notorious Che! censorship trial in 1970. He is one of the most honorable conscienous people I have ever met. Let him go. Old age is hell , as you will all find out soon enough. He chooses to deal with it with drink. I wish that would be a solution I could use to escape the hell of old age. I just suffer on. Not because I am proud, but because I am a coward. Good luck Rip.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2