Native American Backlash Over Speidi Names

4/1/2010 1:11 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Running Bear and White Wolf aren't exactly being embraced by the community they hoped to join ... in fact, several Native American groups are lashing out at the reality stars over their "ignorant" name changes.

After the people formally known as Heidi and Spencer announced their new names, TMZ spoke with a rep from the Rosebud Sioux Tribe of South Dakota, who told us, "Continued stereotyping such as this by people ignorant of our traditional ways is very disrespectful and only hurts our efforts to curtail these stereotypes."

The rep claims they're especially upset because "the names they have given themselves are legitimate names in our tribe." And they're not the only ones pissed at the MTV couple ...

The National Indian Education Association tells us, "they have taken an inaccurate stereotypical approach to enhance their public image which is offensive to our diverse American Indian cultures."

They add, "We hope they are taking their 'self-improvement' journey seriously."

Tiger's Help Sucks Too

I thought they were called Running Mouth and White Trash.

parents?

Someone please stop these idiots. They are a waste of space!

becky

They don't care who they hurt or insult as long as they get their ugly mugs in the press daily. So sad. the media needs to let these two disappear.

celticskunk

These have to be the doucheiest douchebags in the world. I got yer new names right heah: Dil & Doe.......

Leon Leader Charge

First you come to out home lands.. then you impose your language,religion , beliefs on us then you rape mother earth for profit after decolonization you want to be lakota? Sicangu Lakota... Leon Leader Charge.. legitimate Rosebud Sioux Tribal Member....

Diggydig

I don't like these two idiots either, but I wonder how Indians got access to TMZ?

csj

who cares? quit reporting about these two losers and they will go away.

Stacey

I WISH YOU GUYS WOULD STOP REPORTING ABOUT THEM SO THEY WOULD GO AWAY!!!!!!!

jessy

Posted at 11:10AM on Apr 1st 2010 by Leon Leader Charge

-------------------
listen chief charger or whatever..we are Americans and we take what the hell we want....if you dont like it..tough luck,,now go take a drink of some firewater and go hibernate with the bears until next winter...

Thunder Thighs

These two birds have nerve disrespecting my people. We've come way to far to have them make a mockery of them by naming themselves a Native name. They have no clue the struggle my people went through. Why? so to dipshits can get all "spiritual" by doing something as idiotic as this??

Unless you were from the rez lived on the rez or even have any clue of the Native American way. Leave us out of it.

These two need to ask for forgiveness for spitting on us by taking our names and giving it to themselves! They better pray to Mother Earth real hard!

Thunder Thighs

I am Native American. I also belong to a tribe here in Oregon. These two idiots need to think before they speak because they offend a HUGE amount of people with their broad statements. Get educated before you put a mic in front of your face PLEASE PEOPLE!!! I just might sue you for offending me..I think I'm going to call my lawyer and see where I stand....ToBeContinued>>>>

Trooper Tom

This is exactly what these desperate losers wanted, more publicity becaused if they didn't do stuff like this they would be right where the belong at the bottom of the barrel of wanna be's

mamajj

How about Douchebag & Plastic Twit.

stayclassysandiego

i shall call them "brain running empty" and "breast of silicone".

HUB