Dr. Murray's Defense - Jackson Killed Himself

4/5/2010 8:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Dr. Conrad Murray's legal defense is that Michael Jackson gave himself the fatal dose of Propofol.

Multiple sources familiar with the strategy tell TMZ the defense argument goes like this:

- At around 10:50 AM, Dr. Murray gave Jackson 25 mg of Propofol from a 20 ml bottle -- that's only about 1/8 of the bottle.

- The dose Dr. Murray administered would keep someone asleep for only 5 to 10 minutes, but the Propofol, along with the Ativan and Versed that was already in MJ's system, had a synergistic effect that put Jackson to sleep for a longer period of time.

- For the next hour, Dr. Murray stayed in the room and was on the phone for much of the time. Dr. Murray didn't leave the room to make the calls because MJ liked activity in the room, regularly sleeping with the lights on and cartoons blaring on the TV.

- At around noon, Dr. Murray left the room for approximately two minutes to go to the bathroom. While he was gone, the defense believes Jackson suddenly awakened and was frustrated he had spent nearly 9 hours trying in vain to sleep. The defense theory -- Jackson took the 20 ml bottle of Propofol and self-injected the remaining contents through the IV, causing a massive overdose that stopped his heart.

- Dr. Murray walked back in the room and saw Jackson with his eyes open and pupils dilated. Dr. Murray dropped the phone (he was speaking with his girlfriend) and began administering CPR.

The defense will argue Michael Jackson was a long-time Propofol addict -- something TMZ first reported shortly after the singer's death. As one source said, Jackson liked the sensation of Propofol being administered by IV, adding, "Michael liked to push it."

L.A. County Coroner's investigators took a picture in the room, showing an empty Propofol bottle on the floor, underneath the nightstand by Jackson's bed. The defense will argue Jackson grabbed the bottle from the nightstand, injected himself and then dropped the bottle.

Remember, law enforcement believes Dr. Murray hid bottles of Propofol before paramedics arrived. The defense will argue ... if Dr. Murray was really hiding Propofol, he would have removed the empty bottle under the nightstand that caused Jackson's death.

Ed Chernoff, Murray's attorney, could not be reached for comment.

Conrad Murray

Why?????

Reminds me of the old story where cops were saying that the suspect repeatedly run himself into the wall and that is how his nose is broken and the whole face is all messed up. But I am glad in a way that m*o*r*o*n*i*c Murray and his teams if imbeciles picked this line of defense, because IT IS COMPLETELY RETARDED and WILL BE REFUTED IN NO TIME!!!!There is no way MJ could administer this to itself, mainly because the effect is instant and he would drop way before the whole 20 could peacefully run through. He has to be laying down when propofol was administered; there is no effing way he could have done this by himself. And I liked the fingerprints argument, I doubt that bottle has them, unless Murray had time to think it all over on the spot and rub MJ hand against that empty bottle. This is very possible, since he hid everything else except for this bottle. It is interesting to know how much time did he have once he realized MJ is gone to mull things over and tamper with evidence before calling for help. It looks like he was the only one with MJ that night and that morning, so if MJ was gone this morning Murray could have taken some 3+ hours of sweet time to clean the place up, call some people, possibly ask what to do, and do it.

Charles Thomson

I knew he killed himself. He was a no good junky and a total fraud. Oh and let's not forget he was a child molester. He molested his own purchased kids. This will come out in court. Yo go Dr. Murray! Expose MJ for what he was.

kimmie

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

(Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.)

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dr. Murray states he did nothing wrong...but I ask, what did Dr. Murray do right?

emily

thats the best they can do? lol
murray is going to jail..he better enjoy his last days running in the beach

wish mj was here

to our dear sweet michael first happy easter .we miss you.michael if your out there please know we all love you more and care so much for you.please come back.we all (the fans) need to see you dance sing laugh and smile.you have a heart of gold.in everything you do you mean it in the best way.its all out of love.we have alot of respect for you and we believe in you very much.everyday i listen to your music look at your pics like you want us to do.wherever your at michael i wish you all the happiness and stay healthy.if your out there alive always remember this we all love and miss you.if you do decide to come back we will be right here waiting for you and your precious smile.i know you all in here are gonna call me names make fun of me for this .i dont care we all are entitled to our thoughts and comments.love you most michael.

Bali handicraft

There are many controversy about Jacko's death. I know that we all love Him. How about if we let the story flows. Let him arrest in peace without controversy anymore.

Bart

Please let me be on the jury for Dr. Murray. He will be home for supper and have time to stop off for a beer. Hell yeah Michael Jackson is responsible for his dying. That egotistical freak thought nothing could ever happen to him. Anybody that would jump up on a car and wave at a crowd while he was being accused of fondling a kid would think he is invincible. Well Mike, you’re not and that is why you are rotting away in cold cold grave. Freak, you are right where you belong, DEAD!!!!!! And your family is fightin’ for the leftovers. WOOOOOO WHOOOOOOO Im dead, Im dead and killed myself, WOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOO

YOUCH

As a former Operating Nurse I can be sworn under oath that NO ONE wakes up from Propofol and is able to in juct himself with anything. The waking up process needs to be indused with pure oxygen and then the patient is still groggy. To think that MJ would KILL himself to get out of doing concerts that he did not want to do is ridiculous. Contracts can be broken, or he could have done several and pled illness. To leave his children and other family members forever would be unheard of to get out of a contract.

Why?????

I just have read what I posted and it is totally insane. Please everyone, do not take me seriously because it is Easter and I run out of my meds and everything is closed today. I apologize; sometimes I just can't control myself and get some verbal incontinence.

lol

As someone who performs anesthesia on a daily basis,
#1: Propofol DOES NOT stop your heart. A dose of 150 mg will stop you from breathing from 5-7 minutes, so Dr. Murray was obviously gone for a while.

#2: Based on the story, it is extremely unlikely that Michael woke up and decided to push the remaining dose through his IV. Unless the stick of propofol was in line on an IV port, I really doubt he would have been "with it" enough to get up, draw up propofol, and push it through his IV.

#3: Being an anesthesia stickler, opened vials of propofol are only considered clean for 6 hours due to bacterial contamination. If Dr. Murray had any idea what he was doing, he wouldn't be repeatedly dosing from the same vial of propofol for 8+ hours.

Kathy

Happy Easter

pam

Can't understand why he had trouble sleeping when he slept with the lights on the tv blaring...

Jill

It has already been stated by Arnie Klien and other doctors that MJ was afraid of needles and had to look away anytime anything was given to him plus according to other experts that have weighed in on this that is impossible. How terrible for the Jackson family to hear such bs of the worst kind. This situation continually gets worse!!

lol

Also, in regards to the story, the remaining amount in the vial was ~175 mg which isn't a "massive overdose". This is a completely standard amount used everyday in the OR to put people to sleep. While it does stop breathing, no one in medicine would call that a massive overdose.

Bart

You know when I can’t get to sleep, I just have a Budweiser and I just nod right off. But I guess if I were a DOPE ADDICT I would take something a little stronger. MJ took a risk and he failed due to his own bigger than life attitude. It was his own fault. He got just what he wanted, a long and restful sleep.