« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Barkley Rips Masters Head -- He's an 'Uncle Tom'

4/9/2010 4:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Charles Barkley has resorted to racial insults in his attack on the guy who runs the Masters -- comparing Billy Payne to a slave-driving plantation owner after Payne ripped Tiger Woods over the scandal.

Barkley -- who used to be pretty tight with Woods -- went on Fox Sports Radio yesterday and said, "You got this punk ass Billy Payne who goes on TV ... for him to get on there and act like he's all Uncle Tom, he's the master on the plantation, that piss me off."

Barkley added, "I wish somebody would just walk up to him and punch him in his face."

Earlier this week, Payne mentioned Tiger in his news conference saying, "Our hero did not live up to the expectations of the role model we saw for our children."

Historical Fun Fact!
-- White people generally aren't called "Uncle Tom" ... because "Uncle Tom" was black.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

MiMI

Barkley, UR racism is showing. If u hadn't made a big deal out of it nobody would have noticed. I had to go search for what was even siad. While the guy had a strick moral code, he didn't say anything (as far as i'm concerned) that was racist; however you did.

BGL

I think what Billy Payne did was just plain tacky in a way. Nobody was there to hear about Tiger's scandal or what Payne thought about it. Most people are disappointed in Tiger. But that's what you get when you forget that a man is just that, a man. If I were to go do some digging I wonder what I would find in Mr.s Payne's closet? People need to get past this scandal and let the man do what he does best which is play golf. AND Payne should be glad that Tiger showed up. I live in Augusta and rentals were slower, but when he said he was coming everything picked up. There are a lot of people here and they are here to see Tiger play. So, shut up and count the money Billy!

STFUAHole

In the age of Obama...any white person who makes a comment about someone who has skin a few shades darker than there own is some how a racist!
BTW...Barkley is freaking idiot! LOL, he doesn't even know what a Uncle Tom is!

carol

what hurts about what this white guy sez is that it is the TRUTH. tiger did act in a very bad, immoral way. call a duck a duck, a tramp a tramp. if woman her whores, sluts skanks what a men who act in similar manner. male whores. funny. enuff anymore tho with tiger , his lackluster immoral behavior. WE ARE GETTING NAUSEATED.

workoutdiva

Agree completely with #5. Could not have said it any better.

Correction

I'm not so sure Barkley is even half as ignorant as some of the people posting here (and some of the TMZ staffers as well).

The term "Uncle Tom," although generally used to describe black people rather than white (because the character Uncle Tom was black), is used popularly in the sense of telling on someone, usually selling them out to those in power.

In the case of Tiger and the moron Payne, instead of standing by Tiger as a member of the golf community, Payne decided to chastise him publicly, selling Tiger out in a way, instead of standing by him. So Payne is sucking up to the public instead of defending Tiger.

That's just one interpretation, but there are many ways in which Uncle Tom is used negatively, and Charles isn't as ignorant in using it as some of the ignoramuses posting here are claiming.

Payne sold Tiger out when it wasn't even necessary. He's acting like the moral authority, and Charles views it as being "Uncle Tom"-ish or as being the master of the plantation.

It all makes sense if you know anything about history or the history of the term.

Aaron

Barkley is one ignorant racist. Just shut your mouth!

Flower

Maybe if big man Barkley could utilize proper English, I would take him seriously. This uneducated cretin can't express himself without expletives and butchered grammar. And Payne is correct, Woods lived up to the expectations of no one.
Racist dolt.

Boo Hoo

Barkley doesn't know HE is Uncle Tom. Ha ha idiot

Thunder Thighs

I don't understand what anything he said has to do with racism? I'm so sick of hearing about it. Tiger Woods slept with multiple ppl while married, and he didn't live up to what he was "pretending" to be. He is a role model to children and people everywhere no matter what his color is and he clearly failed in that department. He's still playing golf and it doesn't look like he's lost anything over this whole ordeal.. so please with the racism bullshit....

Bonjo

Barkley has to be the bigget idiot and why anyone would listen to him is beyond me.
He is just pissed because he has one less friend to play with in Vegas.
Get a life!!!

kristen

Charles Barkley is an absolute total moron. He needs to get his facts straight before he opens his big stupid ignorant mouth.

Heather

Um, okay. What the hell does ANY OF THIS have to do with race?!? Granted the statement made by Payne was rather pathetic, as I don't think Tiger owes the public any kind of apology whatsoever, but, pulling the race card...really Barkley! Get a freakin grip!

B

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you Geoff. Tiger's affairs have already gotten enough press.He's there to play golf, and I would had no comment on his personal disasters.
Didn't Charles Barkley get pulled over for DUI when he went through a stop sign or light to get to a hooker for a BJ? A paragon of virtue there. But to me their situations look behavior related, not race related.

Once white trash always WT

I am sorry. I realize it's really a white world and they are smarter and richer and where ever they go, us trash and minorities follow. Look around. Latin America, Africa, a lot of Asia and Arab ruled countries are backward poor and always will be. Hmmm. They said the earliest man came from Africa. If that's the case they grew up slooow. How come by the time the Portugese came to get slaves, Europe had governments,roads, money, buildings, art, cloths, utensils, candles etc etc etc while Africans were still running around naked praying to rocks and still do! Africa hasn't progressed a bit. Anyway I see I am wrong and just wanted to say sorry. I am ignorant and it's really the dirty thieving leaching minorities that make living here on earth hell. Thankyou!