Dixie Carter Dies

4/10/2010 5:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Carter -- best known for her role on the television show "Designing Women" -- passed away Saturday morning at the age of 70.

Her husband, Hal Holbrook, told "Entertainment Tonight, "This has been a terrible blow to our family ... We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy. Thank you."

Carter played Julia Sugarbaker on "Designing Women" from 1986-1993. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2007 for her guest stint on "Desperate Housewives."

She is survived by her two daughters, Mary Dixie and Ginna.

namers

How very sad, she was a elegant and talented lady. R.I.P.

Proud2bBlack

......

dd

I loved her since she was Brandy in the soap operas..beautiful woman!

DD

R.I.P.

Marcusinmilw

Betty White is next? Are you f-ing kidding me? Did you really post that JANDEAN61? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!! That is a terrible thing to say!!

KTD

What'd she die from? Was she in the Polish envoy flight to Russia? What??

iBud

She will be missed... Beautiful Southern Lady!

Cleveland Gal

So sorry to hear the news, my condolences to her family

Prince Von A-Hole

How many prescription drugs was she on? How does Simon enter in? Cmon TMZ Simon has to be to blame.

Writwit

This breaks my heart. She was my fave designing woman, and she has some serious pipes. Her rendition of Ave Maria is inspiring.

RIP Miss Dixie.

sara

So sad! I loved her on Designing Women. So sad for her sweet husband.

Craig

Funny lady will miss her. Looks like still need to do some; guess can't get rid of idiots.

Mindy

RIP Dixie

Diana

OMG, that is so sad!

Nette

Dixie Carter was a great Southern Lady. She established The Dixie - Performing Arts Center in Huntingdon, Tn in 2005 - enriching the lives of those in West Tennessee. She was from McLemorsville - a few minutes from Huntingdon. My husband works at the Dixie and we had no idea she was sick. We were later told that she passed away from Cancer - what kind we are unsure. We are so saddened - she was truly a talent. Just Tuesday she was to be honored in Jackson, Tennessee with the Sterling Award - 20 most influential women in West Tennessee along with my boss. God Bless her family. So sad!