Dixie Carter Dies

4/10/2010 5:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Carter -- best known for her role on the television show "Designing Women" -- passed away Saturday morning at the age of 70.

Her husband, Hal Holbrook, told "Entertainment Tonight, "This has been a terrible blow to our family ... We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy. Thank you."

Carter played Julia Sugarbaker on "Designing Women" from 1986-1993. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2007 for her guest stint on "Desperate Housewives."

She is survived by her two daughters, Mary Dixie and Ginna.

V. E. Overstreet

Ron,

Uncalled for post. A tragedy to her family at the very least. It's personal and cruel, cold posts should be kept personal too.

She will be missed by all of her fans and she had many! I loved her wit, singing and southern charm!

gutsygirl

I'm glad to see TMZ has provided a forum for many to voice their nastiness towards others. Otherwise, they might be kicking puppies.

gutsygirl

I'm so glad that TMZ has provided a forum for many of you to vent your anger. Otherwise, you might be kicking puppies.

April

RIP. She was one of my favorite actresses.

Class of 59

She was a great actress and will be missed terribly. Prayers for her family as this sad, sad time.

cheryl

Very, very sad. I love her on "Designing Women". My condolences to her family.

Bob Ash

And this was the night the lights went out in Georgia.

Will miss you Dixie.

Bob and Rob

RLDAVIS70

RIP Dixie! I am very disappointed with TMZ! Where is the cause of death? I just knew only TMZ would have the answer but you let me down!

Boondoggle

What a shock, only 70 years old. BTW, TMZ, she is survived not only by her daughters but also by her husband that you mention at the beginning of the article. DUH.

Mark

She was a wonderful actress! Does anyone know cause of death?
Loved Designing Women!!!

Khate sucks

ON NO! This is so sad! She was such a true LADY! I loved and admired her! She was always beautiful too! How sad!

LongJohn69

So Hal Holbrook's been tappin that? He probably will continue and won't even notice a difference.

LongJohn69

BBOP

I love Dixie Carter in Designing Women & her just off Broadway production of "It" Baby She Had "It". Please keep her memory alive by bringing back Designing Women. I fashioned my strength behind her character role of Julia Sugabaker.

tforce1

Very sad.Nothing but well wishes to her family in this time of grief.