Dixie Carter Dies

4/10/2010 5:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Carter -- best known for her role on the television show "Designing Women" -- passed away Saturday morning at the age of 70.

Her husband, Hal Holbrook, told "Entertainment Tonight, "This has been a terrible blow to our family ... We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy. Thank you."

Carter played Julia Sugarbaker on "Designing Women" from 1986-1993. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2007 for her guest stint on "Desperate Housewives."

She is survived by her two daughters, Mary Dixie and Ginna.

Prague

I saw Hal Holbrook at Methodist Hospital in Houston quite a few times in the past month...I was a afraid that it might of been because of Dixie Carter. R.I.P.

Karen

So sorry to hear this...I loved this show...so many laughs every week. What a great cast..remember the "tree skirt" one??

christine

Well she was an avid user of human growth hormone (HGH) injections..$2,000/month...don't think it helped her..

moi

A classy lady. She will be missed. condolences to her family-

packer

May she rest in peace. The Hollywood actors and many more in there business have been dieing like right and left.This year and last year I think is worse for all these deaths.

Elli

Awwwww, RIP.... Loved her on Desperate Housewives!

Anonymous

I worked with Dixie for a litle while. Knowing her as I did, I am quite sure it was not suicide. Dixie was too religious and positive to do something like that. She always tried to maintain her dignity. My immediate guess is it was either an illness or accident.

Mo

RIP DIXIE!!! Why isn't there a cause of death?

Dextersmom

Our prayers go out to Hal and Dixie's daughters for strength in dealing with the death of a loved one. Dixie RIP...you will be missed!

cj

I'm so sorry to hear of this,my heart goes out to her family,she was truly a lady of beauty,wit and charm.

helen s

She was a wonderful actress - RIP.

Carol

To all of the family,
I hate that you have lost Dixie. I know that each one of you is heartbroken. Just know that she is in a better place than us. May God be with you and grant you peace during this hard time. She was
a wonderful person and a great actress. She will be missed by so many people. She is from my home state.
Dixie..go rest high on that mountain......Carol

Kate

Why would you allow that profanity to be on this website at at time like this? That is ridiculous.

Whoever wrote that is a class act and maybe when he losses someone he loves very much, he will read the same. For his sake, I hope not. He should apologize and you should remove that from this list of condolences.

AND what does BETTY WHITE have to do with this?

My condolences to the family. All of us have been through this or will go through it one day.
I liked her very much and she quite a lady and talented.

Lynn

I wonder how she died. Why are they saying it's a private family tragedy. Sounds like she accidentally overdosed or it was suicide.

Can We Get Some Damn Facts Here?

This has got suicide written all over it. I think it happened in the library, with a rope. Professor Plum witnessed it.