Dixie Carter Dies

4/10/2010 5:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Carter -- best known for her role on the television show "Designing Women" -- passed away Saturday morning at the age of 70.

Her husband, Hal Holbrook, told "Entertainment Tonight, "This has been a terrible blow to our family ... We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy. Thank you."

Carter played Julia Sugarbaker on "Designing Women" from 1986-1993. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2007 for her guest stint on "Desperate Housewives."

She is survived by her two daughters, Mary Dixie and Ginna.

Danonino

RIP Dixie

Proud2Bblack

R.I.P.

Proud2Bblack

R.I.P you gave my family & I many fun moments of laughter.

Jean

I just found this out-and it makes me so sad.

Craig

And tonight's the night the lights went out in Georgia......

Drama Queen

Awww so sad :( RIP

Darlene

So saddened to hear this, may she rest in peace!

truthiness

Loved her character on Designing Women.

RIP

Butterfly

HAL HOLBROOK has been in show business long enough to know his statement would raise questions from Dixie Carter's loyal fans wanting to know how one of their favorite actresses passed on. Rest in Peace, lovely lady, Rest in Peace.

SilenceMonitor

This is very sad news. I loved Dixie Carter. May she rest in peace. TMZ please follow this story and let us know what happened. God bless her family during this difficult time. :-(

Bubbajk

This was one of the classiest women in the history of American entertainment - it is a real shame to see memories of her defiled by tasteless and crude comments. My heart goes out th her husband and her family. She will be missed.

cidroc

r.i.p so what about the guy off airplain he was funny mat dillon brother! nothing about that on here i dont know how they can post 1 death an not another! is it if harvy liked them or not????

Nette

I can't believe the sick comments posted here. Dixie Carter was such a lady, she certainly does not deserve this disrespect. I am from a town about 10 miles from her hometown and my inside information is that she had been in treatment for cancer but suffered a stroke very recently. I hope people respect Mr. Holbrooks wishes and let him and her girls grieve in peace!

CALIFORNIA

"JANDEAN 61" YOU'RE NEXT.

Sean Bagley

Although we live in a world mostly filled with good, honest people, a few of the comments here prove that there are morons and evil creeps lurking behind any given door. For anyone to write the vulgar & ridiculous things as joeblow69 wrote, even to THINK them, scares the hell out of me.