« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ben Roethlisberger: 'I'm Truly Sorry'

4/12/2010 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

With his head down and a monotone delivery, Ben Roethlisberger finally gave a statement about the sexual assault investigation in Georgia, saying he's "happy to move forward."

Reading off a note card, Ben walked up to a podium in the Steelers' locker room and told a small group of reporters, "I'd like to begin by expressing gratitude for the thorough investigation process in Georgia and the prosecutor's decision not bring charges."

He continued, "I know without a doubt that it was the right conclusion. I don't intend to discuss any details relating to the events in Georgia, and I'm happy to put this behind me and move forward."

Ben also stated, "I'm truly sorry for the disappointment and negative attention I've brought to my family, teammates, coaches, the Rooneys, and the NFL. I understand the opportunities I've been blessed with are a privilege and that much is expected of me as the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Roethlisberger concluded, "I absolutely want to be the leader this team deserves, valued in the community and a role model to kids. I have much work to do to earn this trust and I'm committed to improving and showing everyone my true values. I'm excited to get back to work w/my teammates and more determined than ever to have a great season."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

janesmith

Nice ghoulish article … very fitting for the season and impressivly damn interesting.

Tim

"...in Georgia and the prosecutor's decision not bring charges." Nice editing TMZ. I'm blazed all the time too and I can still spell correctly.

Barb

I bet you would like to thank the police. They totally swept this under the rug for you. I think your "true values" have been shown, in the washroom, at a bar! You forced one woman to drop the rape charges and you are working in the second. But the fact that there are TWO women saying the same thing shows that those are truly the values you hold.

Just Sayin

Pathetic, scripted, and totally bogus. This guy has a long, well-known reputation along this line -- and it ain't good. As long as his money keeps buying him a "free ticket", I doubt much will change. With the brain of a chick pea, and the looks of Shrek apparently the caveman routine seems to be the only one that works for him. Pathetic -- I pray the Steelers do the right thing and pop him. He's not worth the trouble....seriously.

milledgeville

I am truly saddened and disgusted that he has gotten away with this crime. I am actually a fellow student at Georgia College in Milledgeville, GA, and I personally know the accuser. She is NOT A LIAR by any means, and I'm just in so much shock and disgust that he is going to get away with this crime. I'll admit that if I did not have first hand experience with the situation, I may understand the whole view point that the accuser could be a money wanting whore, but I know with a doubt that is not the case here. What a shame.

Mandy

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? The DA dropped it so I think you all should move on! Sheesh people! The case didn't move on for a reason and if she was bold enough to accuse an NFL player of sexual assault and her case had any merit she would be prosecuting him to the fullest extent! The fact that she chose to drop it because of the media attention (Helllooooo what did you expect when you accuse a famous football player) is a load of crap. She dropped it because she's a drunken liar who was drinking underage. It's all he said she said and the word of two drunken people doesn't mean much!!

It's too easy now for women to try to extort famous men for money or their 15 minutes of fame. I think it's funny that she didn't have a problem with the media attention following him from bar to bar.

On that note I also think Ben needs to find a better way to spend his time. Leave the hoochies alone and work on winning some damn football!!

lovey

S***BAG!! disgusting. How do these people keep getting away with it.? He needs to get out NOW

Evidence???

I cant believe how ignorant people are!! Obviosly if there was any evidence that it happened, then charges would have been brought against him. Why would she not press charges? And I am so tired of blacks crying about racism. He has never been charged with a crime. Please tell me a black NFL player that was not charged with a crime that was suspended?? There are none, so quit crying racism all the time. You cant go to the Federal Pen and not get suspended! It doesn't work like that. It has nothing to do with skin color!!!

Johnny Rebel

Yea, he's a s***bag, but now what about all the blacks throwning down that race card like it's Hulk Hogan body slamming Andre The Giant. "OH WHAT IF HE WAS BLACK, WHAT IF HE WASSA BLACK GUY!?!?!" OH STFU!! While ANYONE with 2 brain cells would have to agree that Ben is a slimebag, the FACT is that he has NEVER been charged with anything! Burress DID discharge a gun, Pacman Jones ... well there's not enough room, but just Google all these "poor black victims" and you can settle their Jesse Jackson hypocritical claims with the click of a mouse! WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH I'M BLACK!

Hayley

We have laws in this country. A bunch of anonymous posters can't charge or convict someone without looking at the evidence. Remember the Duke LaCrosse team. Everyone convicted them too. Ben should be sorry to be such a fool. He shouldn't be hanging out with college kids at bars. He should learn to be respectful of women. He also needs to learn to be appreciative of others and leave proper tips when he goes to restaurants. He should always pay his restaurant bills and not just leave them if he is unhappy. Yes, he is a jerk, but he was thoroughly investigated. They can't charge him because you don't like hime.

RoseRed

I think I'm gonna hurl, what a phoney, empty pile of bull crap! Thorough investigation??? He refused to talk with authorities, what a waste of space this cementhead is. Big Ben? No, he's a BIG LOSER!

Whatever

He really is just a big, dumb animal. He continues to do stupid sh*t and put himself in these situations. No wonder why mommy and daddy are moving from Ohio to Pennsylvania. They have to. He is much too stupid to be left to his own devices.

elizabeth kraft

I am a big fan off ben and i hope he does play this year it want be the same without big ben there i just think ben needs to find a girlfriend are make his bar for him and his friends are family are even some fans so he stays out off trouble cus when you are famous like big ben is you have to behave and just keep it low dont go party like that wish ben the best and hope he has learned his lesson. hope you come back big ben #7 elizabeth kraft

Dan

BIG time diehard Steeler fan here..........I bleed Black n Gold.....BUT this guy is a complete IDIOT......if he WAS sincere why does he have to read off of a cue card......the Steelers and/or the league needs to suspend him. If he gets off with NO suspension I might turn my terrible towel in.........

Rikki

I love how INNOCENT until proven guilty no longer has meaning in this country. We no longer have a court system to define who is guilty, it has become the media which determines guilt or innocents. I just want to remind people you can file a civil case against anyone for anything. In no way can this first case be thought of as anything but someone looking for a payday. She never went to the police, hospital, or even a councilor. Still the media makes it strike number one. Now this new one, which becomes strike two. So once again the media crucifies Ben, only now the DA will not prosecute. If in the eyes of the law no crime has been committed, then the final conclusion must be innocent. I will add that going into the bathroom was EXTREMELY stupid, stupidity is not a crime. Stop allowing the media to dictate public opinion. Look at facts, which in this case there are very little.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments