« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ben Roethlisberger Officially Suspended

4/21/2010 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ben Roethlisberger Officially Suspended Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has just  received a SIX game suspension from the NFL for violating the league's Personal-Conduct Policy.

A spokesperson for the NFL announced that Ben has been informed of the decision.

Officials claim the suspension could be reduced to 4 games, if NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell sees fit.

Ben will not be paid for the games he will miss -- which means he could lose nearly $3 million if he misses all six.

Along with the suspension, Ben will also have to undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation.

In a letter to Roethlisberger, Commish Goodell told Ben, "There is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Christina G.

Yay! And his paycheck for those six games should go to a charity that supports rape victims!

justsaying

SIX GAMES!!!!!!?????? SIX GAMES!!!!!!!!?????? Why....don't they know he's White? He should be picking up another endorsement.

meg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Blue Lake

More details on that behavioral evaluation please.

Rob

If I ever am left alone, with commissioner Roger Goodell, I am accussing him of sexual assault. Let's see if he will suspend himself, over accusations in a police report. Just bc someone reports it doesn't make it true.

On a side note, Ben is an idiot. If you are ever accusued of something like that, you need to keep a profile lower than Osama Bin Laden. After 1 rape accusation, true or false, it is time to avoid places like bars and 1 on 1 situation with random drunk women forever. His lawyers should have told him that. If they didn't, he needs to fire them.

Chris

I agree Christina! The suspension should stay at 6 games not be reduced.

Q

6 Games for sexual assualt? Wow, what do you get for just a regular assualt? What hypocrites these Sports Czars---Its still a Thug and Rapists League. They'll never stop..our only hope is TMZ Sports keeps catching these Louts messing up...to date the "regular" press has let these "role models" slide.

B

Six games...with a possibility of four games. Out of the first six teams Steelers play, only one made it to the playoffs last year. Sweet! Easy couple of weeks at least. Now if Ben could only raise his standards a little bit higher than bottom feeding at clubs and with the help - he'd be fine.

therightway

I think the suspension is relatively fair. Many people have said that they thought anything more than two would be overdone, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if it was only two games, then the Steelers organization would have suspended him for another two. The team is also in talks to get a top 10 pick for Ben from other teams. Apparently, there are a few teams interested. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes that way, considering they have 4 QBs (including Ben) on the roster right now. I am a die hard Steelers fan, and I am embarrassed for this organization by his behavior and stupid decisions. I have worn my #7 jersey every week since he began starting games in Pittsburgh, but whether he stays or goes, I will be wearing another player. I'm sure I'll get some flack saying "he was never charged" or whatever, but he needs to stop putting himself in these situations. He really needs to grow up, and I hope, whatever the NFL and the Steelers decide to do, he will.

Big Mike

Big Ben's silence in this matter says it all. The allegations have been made and if he was really innocent he would be defending himself. The fact that he is not saying anything leads one to believe that most of what was said about that night actually happened. If this had been the first time something like this had happened I would give him the benefit of the doubt. But this has happened more than once and I guarantee there are stories out there that were never reported. Dude is a dirt bag.

Moe Greene

Fair? LOL. This is what happens when you are powerful. It's like the old days when a judge would tell a kid to either join the military or go to jail. The NFL knows Ben assaulted this girl and the authorities know it. This is a slap on the wrist.

Anyone else try assaulting a 20 year old in a bar and see where it lands you.

Ron

The Steelers should trade Big Ben. It wont be the last time he gets his clock cleaned & rides without a helmet.

Paul

Too bad he's not a golfer, then he wouldn't have to worry about ANY kind of penalty!
Isn't it interesting who we get all fired-up about being "punished," and who we let off the hook?
Can you say degenerate...er, Tiger?

yodaye

And Mike Vick is the one that's messed up. Wow...looks like some double standards here folks. The same way Mike was treated Big Ben should be treated the same way. Or is it that a pets life is of more value than a human?

Amy

GOOD! I agree with Christina's G's comment. He's an ass.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments