'American Idol' Front-Runner Almost Quit

4/16/2010 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned "American Idol" contestant Crystal Bowersox threw in the towel a little more than two weeks ago and was walking off the show, when Ryan Seacrest did some fast-talking and changed her mind.

cystal bowersox and ryan seacrest
It went down in a parking lot after an "A.I." show.  In front of several people, Crystal told Ryan she couldn't handle the competition.... she said she hated the attention and said to Seacrest, "What's the point?"

Crystal said she was going back to Ohio to be with her family, whom she missed terribly.

Ryan told Crystal that being on "Idol" was like starting a business, and if she won she'd get a recording contract and become a millionaire.

Seacrest sealed the deal by telling her, "The greatest thing I ever did was make enough money so I could buy my mom a house.  You can buy your mom a house."

Seacrest out ... Crystal, not out.

lou

I dont like quitters....and I will no longer waste your time - we , I mean we, are not voting for you>.

PAT

LET HER GO PLEASE! SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE JUST GOT OUT OF HILLYBILLY MOVIE IS RYAN GOING TO FIX HER TEETH SHE HAS SOME UGLY TEETH AND THAT HAIR PLEASE WHERE DID THAT COME FROM AND BOY SHE NEEDS TO LOSE ALOT OF WEIGHT SHE SOUNDS THE SAME WAY EVERY WEEK

Gene

Let's remember Crystal has a toddler at home and it has to be killing her to be away from her child and family. It is normal for her to reach this point of wanting to give in to the pressures of the competition and mother guilt will make anyone ask, "what's the point?" The fact that she sang her heart out the past two weeks, and kicked it up a notch says everything about who she is, a great mom who hangs in there trying to grab the gold for the future of her baby, her family and most of all herself and the music she so obviously loves.

Tracey

Crystal has said since the beginning that she wasn't doing this for the fame, but for the money for her child. She's a good singer, but people are spending money to vote for an American Idol. She clearly doesn't want to be an idol. She doesn't want the attention. She wants money, not fans. I hope the winner this year is someone who wants the attention.

Gene

For all of you who are knocking Crystal's looks, wow! I just bet you all have perfect blazing white implants or veneers, and have perfect botox, lipo sucked bodies, with airbrushed faces and salon tans. She is a natural girl, with a natural body, we aren't all size 2's, more like 12's. I think she looks just fine, and she sings great, she's got talent, what do all you who are slammin her have? Nada! Not if you are putting her down, look at yourself first, then judge, better yet, not!

Mary P

138 - Again, stop projecting YOUR life and YOUR mistakes on other people. If you have everything you desire in your 20's, you work hard at making sure it's stays that way. Maybe you got lazy, maybe you got drunk, whatever - but don't pretend to know what all 20 something's are like. We are not children, and in your narrow sight of telling us we are, because of what you did in YOUR life, makes you look the child. Forcing an opinion, because you only have limited experience is childish and immature and quite frankly, is a rather local scope to what you perceive to be a global age.

YOUR experience will not be HER or MY experience. To automatically write every single person off, in the entire world because "we opened our legs" to have kids, is not only rude, but quite frankly, it's stupid. I was a married woman, with a home of my own before I had my first child.

I think it's a far greater mistake of short sightedness in "older, wiser" people to stereotype and pigeon hole an entire group because of their own life, to discriminate against them because they don't know any better, to discredit them because they were not credible at that age and to overall TELL people they will make mistakes of a child. Gee, and here I thought the mistake children made were judging people as a whole, that they do not know. Maybe your mistake is that you haven't learned that yet, even "at 50".

Janice Wilson

They just need to keep it going!! Their losing the fans by next year only one will be remaining!! And how is he so sure she's going to be there to win the Idol!! Right!! For More:
donvuitton.com

Gene

One last thing; I've said this before; it seems it isn't actually the winner of AI that becomes famous, Look at Adam L. And Chris from last season. If Crystal can make it to the 3rd runner up she will no doubt have someone out there waiting to give her a contract, and we will all hear a blow out album from her next year. She is that good. Although a million dollars aint nothing to sneeze at either. She needs the money, but she'll get that in the tour this summer, whatever, I wish her the best. I wouldn't want to win first on AI, I'd rather come in 2nd or 3rd. I also hope this show is off the air after this season, since Paula and Simon are no longer a part of it.

Faith

I think Ryan was being nice. I have noticed that Crystal seems to a very emotional person and I don't think she's too strong physically either. She probably needed some encouragement and Ryan gave it to her.
The camera always cuts to her when somebody is eliminated and she's always holding back tears, or crying. It was her that had to go to hospital during Hollywood week too. Also she's a single mother. She needs to become stronger though if she's to win Idol. Then she'll always be in the public eye. I think they said she's diabetic also.

TM8

She should still quit. I'm tired of the judges being up her azz. She doesn't move me. Bekka Bramlett lives here in Nashville, TN, and has a similar voice to Crystal and delivers a spine tingling performance every time. Crystal should look her up.

leafsfan1977

This is bar none the WORST season of Idol. If it weren't for Crystal, I wouldn't be watching at all because as far as I'm concerned, she's the real talent of the show. How the others (save for Big Mike) made it to Hollywood is beyond me. Crystal has dealt with a lot in life so I can totally understand stress. I'm just thankful she stuck around because I have no doubt in my mind that she WILL be crowned this year's American Idol. Give'em hell Crystal!!!

Earthling

Big surprise... Crystal is a prim donna... I've said it since the beginning and it seems pretty plain to me it will follow her every step of the way... I hope someone sincerely nice wins this but as we know all too well, it could as likely go to someone who has done little more than tolerate everyone around her since she graced them with her presence... I wouldn't vote for her is it was down to the final 2 and Senjia was the other one...

YEAH

Who cares. Let her go. She looks smelly anyway.

Adam

My top three are Crytal, Lee, and Shiobhan. Now its just Lee and Shiobhan. For her to not care about this, when there are millions of people who would love to be in her position and with a chance to get a recording contract and millions of dollars, and she dont care. Oh well, she doesn't deserve it now. She can sing her ass off, but if she don't care, I don't care if she wins.

auto company dude

I applaud Crystal for both her talent, and for her empathy toward others. I don't know who will win. But my feeling so far is that Crystal is deserving, but that she also feels as I do so far, that Michael too, appears deserving. I could see her distress at the possibility that the judges might not save him. As in other years, one or more of this group should, and hopefully will, go on to do very well if they continue to pursue their dream after this competition ends. THANKS TO CRYSTAL FOR SHOWING HER APPRECIATION FOR OTHERS. It was heartwarming to see. Whatever happens, I hope for success in the future for her, for Michael and the others. I hope the others have the heart and soul that Crystal has shown.