'American Idol' Front-Runner Almost Quit

4/16/2010 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned "American Idol" contestant Crystal Bowersox threw in the towel a little more than two weeks ago and was walking off the show, when Ryan Seacrest did some fast-talking and changed her mind.

cystal bowersox and ryan seacrest
It went down in a parking lot after an "A.I." show.  In front of several people, Crystal told Ryan she couldn't handle the competition.... she said she hated the attention and said to Seacrest, "What's the point?"

Crystal said she was going back to Ohio to be with her family, whom she missed terribly.

Ryan told Crystal that being on "Idol" was like starting a business, and if she won she'd get a recording contract and become a millionaire.

Seacrest sealed the deal by telling her, "The greatest thing I ever did was make enough money so I could buy my mom a house.  You can buy your mom a house."

Seacrest out ... Crystal, not out.

dreamcruise

CRYSTAL NOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T THROW IN THE TOWEL....IT'S BAD ENOUGH THAT WE HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT NUTHEADS WHO FORM ALLIANCES AND "VOTE FOR THE WORST"....I AGREE WITH AN EARLIER POST IF YOU QUIT I QUIT. YOU ARE AWESOME AND YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE IN THIS SEASON OF YOUR LIFE FOR A REASON. DON'T QUITTTTTTTTTT!

Tina

I am so dissapointed in her comment, that she "Doesn't like the attition". Are you kidding?? Thats what the show is all about, getting the judges and America to pay you attition!!! If you didn't want the attition, then why didn't you just let other people, who wanted it, have it!!! I spent my time and energy voteing for her and cheering her on. Maybe now, I will change my mind!

kim

I think she is awesome, I hope she keeps going, however I would hate to see anything happen to her like what happened to Susan Boyle, of course I think pour Susan had some severe health issues to begin with. Keep you chin up Crystal, I have followed you from the begining like so many have and continue to do so. This is a path on a wonderful journey you are on. Just follow it and see where it goes. I think God has wonderful plans for you.

lindsey

Unlike some of these people, I'm actually happy Ryan talked her into staying. Its like getting started on a huge project, being overwhelmed, and instead of letting her give up on something amazing she stayed. Shes by far one of the most talented people I've ever seen, and as long as she keeps herself grounded and in control she should do great things. We, and she, would of missed out at a great oppurtunity if she just left. Plus, no one in Idol this season (well hardly anyone) deserves to win as much as she does. Wish her the best xo

Millie

I really don't like her! I wish she would leave already.! I 'm starting to hate her attitude. Her voice is the same annoying and boring voice. I think it's could just be a stunt so that if she wins it would raise the ratings for idol. Either that or idol wanyts her to recieve more votes cause they wanr her to win becuse she is not geting enought votes! If she wins its is just another loser idol like Taylor, Fantasia,and Ruben. A total waste of season!!

Anti-Aging iPad App

Danny Salomon, Vice President of United Holdings Group, has developed the world’s first Anti-Aging App™ for iPad. The Anti-Aging iPad App helps heal various ailments from Wrinkles, Acne, Cellulite, and even Hair Growth Stimulation through color light and sound therapy. The healing strategy makes use of the wavelengths of light and sound in order to stimulate the body’s natural defense systems. http://anti-agingapp.com

Haverchuck

Time for Siobhan to make a power-move. She's the only person on this show in-it-to-win-it.

llpoe

Really babe....We all loves you out here...you actually have fans that you don't even know about...Please, do a little pillow crying, pray, pull yourself together and have faith that between American Idol and the family, all will come through....babe your in growing pains right now and just be strong through it...Love ya....

Susan

Really - can't take the attention, the competition?!? Has she never watched Idol before? I am sure another of the Million or so kids that waited days in line for a CHANCE at an audition would gladly take your drama whiny place. Really? You think Idol is hard? Just wait until you are out from the Protective Bubble wrap of the show - what the heck then? You have lost my vote Miss.

Darlene

Love her, dont want her to quit!!! She has a great voice, the best there!!!!

RealityTVBlows

What a LOAD! This is another "leaked" story from American Idol Producers! Isn't Ryan Seacrest and Exec? The shows Ratings are slipping behind Dancing with the Stars and Ryan has received a lot of bad press lately. Ryan had been fighting with the Judges more this season (at the producers request)and it makes him look like he's an interfering jerk. He also been asking questions to intentionally make the performers cry (does this song remind you of your poor dead Grandma?). Ryan never has to work another day in his life thanks to American Idol so he'll do whatever they tell him to do. This is just another PR trick, don't be fooled. Crystal was NEVER leaving the show. An hour and a half twice a week for a talent show? I liked it better when it was called Star Search.

doseyposey

Hmmm...Ryan..Fox...what's the motive here? Seriously?

Two weeks later and this is "breaking news?" Ooohh...because an Idol contestant is having second thoughts? A first? NOT!

Ryan...could this be because everyone is talking about your off the chain antics on Tuesday night? Do you need a little ego boost?

If TMZ had known about this 2 weeks ago - there is NO WAY they wouuldn't have busted loose with the story - if they had REALLY thought there was a story there.

Crystal Bowersox does not need Idol to make money - so the "she's in it for the money" is ridiculous. She will be signed.

Just a little face-saver story at her expense, I think.

Jason A.

Crystal is so cool, a nice person, and the best singer on the show by far. But you can just tell she is not right for AI which is all glam and glitz. She doesn't care about making millions. She just cares about doing great music and being true to herself. Seacrest is all Hollywood, all form no substance. Crystal go home, this isn't for you. Being poor is better than answering to the man. You are the BEST!!!

shelbar

Tim has a beautiful low range....he needs to focus on that with future songs. It does sound pure..smooth and in pitch. He is a joy to watch. I have enjoyed watching him grow with confidence and voice control over the past several weeks. Unlike crystal who seems to have a "snobish...to cool attitude. Also she shows no enthusiam or excitement when she sings...she seems bored. Tim is hungry...where as crystal seems offput.

Tellmewhy

Isn't her Father with her-supporting her? Or her Mom?
She'll regret it the rest of her life-if she quits and heads back to dreary Ohio!! She's no city slicker for sure!
Fame may grab her too fast for her to cope with all the attention!!
She best harden up --people are gonna talk.