Kim Kardashian -- Hello Kitty Controversy

4/19/2010 5:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kim Kardashian is being ripped apart by her Twitter fans and PETA for the way she held a kitten in a photo she posted on her page -- but according to another animal rights group, it's not as bad as it seems.

Kim Karsdashian
We spoke to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals L.A., who told us "It is permissible to hold a kitten by his or her scruff for a brief amount of time" ... but warns, "the manner in which Ms. Kardashian is holding the kitten could lead others to mishandle animals."

According to sources on the set of the photo shoot where the pic was taken, Kim only held the cat by the scruff for a few seconds -- and did it with the owner and a vet's consent.

We're told the cat is "doing fine."

Barbarascy

It is true that a kitten's mother will carry him by the scruff of the neck. However, the kitten is very small and not much damage can be done. This cat looks far too big to be carried like that. It quite possibly hurts because the skin is being pulled down by the body of the cat. I'm no expert but I would think that as big as this cat looks that would hurt.

Jdsdrgn

Kim has made it clear on various articles and on her TV show that she does not like pets. She is not an animal lover. In this picture, you can tell by the look on her face that this is true. That is about the only thing that has not been "scripted" for her. This is truly her, lol.

nisiek

If I didn't hate this attention ho anymore, this did it! There is nothing even remotely likeable about Kim, but knowing that she doesn't like animals (which she said on her show) and the looks of this photo make me positvely despise her more than I already do...Kim, please exit stage left your wasted 15 minutes are long up!!!

Liz

36, that cat is way too big. No mother cat would still be dragging it around like that. Having said that, provided it only lasted a few seconds, no harm will have been done. It was unnecessary, that's the point. She did it because she's a Kardashian and they are so terribly, terribly too much because they organized world peace and cured cancer and made really interesting films . . .oh, wait, all any of them ever did was get boob jobs.

Just sooooo special.

me

MUST BE A SLOW NEWS DAY TMZ BECAUSE WHO GIVES TWO ****S ABOUT THIS SKANK HOLDING A CAT WITH HER BOOBS HANGING OUT AS USUAL. AMERICA IS ABOUT AS TIRED OF SEEING HER SKANKY BODY AS WE ARE OF SEEING PLASTIC PAM ANDERSON. IT JUST GETS OLD AFTER A WHILE.

Lowhangers

What do you expect from the DUMB BITCH...let's pray she never breeds.....

Karen

I wonder if she would like to be held like that?

John

**** PETA. What a bunch of attention needing as****s!

Debs626

She is nothing more than TRASH..I wished that kitten would scratch her right in her ugly face!!!

Sandy F

I didn't see the cat -- I couldn't tear my eyes away from what she was almost wearing!

Joel

I always thought this was the way you picked a kitten up. I see nothing wrong with it. F@#$ off Peta!!

cab305

I would hold that ***** with one hand too!

RITA

NO !!! NOT OK..A CAT ONLY DOES THIS AS THE KITTENS ARE VERY YOUNG AND SMALL..AS THEY GROW THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE ! IT VERY WELL MAY CAUSE NERVE DAMAGE TO THE CAT..WAKE UP PEOPLE...YOU DONT SEE PEOPLE PICK DOGS UP LIKE THIS..BUT AS SMALL PUPS THE MOTHERS DO...NO NO NO NOT OK !!!!

lisa

what do you expect from a stupid a$$ like kim. Like seriously do you think you think it was worth the tweet. Get over yourself already. And seriously is there nothing that you do that your not always half naked or completely naked for! Shessshh enoughs enough already COVER UP. Grow up and GO AWAY ALREADY!

R