Kim Kardashian -- Hello Kitty Controversy

4/19/2010 5:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kim Kardashian is being ripped apart by her Twitter fans and PETA for the way she held a kitten in a photo she posted on her page -- but according to another animal rights group, it's not as bad as it seems.

Kim Karsdashian
We spoke to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals L.A., who told us "It is permissible to hold a kitten by his or her scruff for a brief amount of time" ... but warns, "the manner in which Ms. Kardashian is holding the kitten could lead others to mishandle animals."

According to sources on the set of the photo shoot where the pic was taken, Kim only held the cat by the scruff for a few seconds -- and did it with the owner and a vet's consent.

We're told the cat is "doing fine."

Trix

Ms. Kardashian has said that she is "not an animal person", she doesn't like them and doesn't know how to handle or care for them. So why in the h**l is she picking up this cat by the scruff? She is SUPPOSED TO support the bottom of the cat. Kim looks like she's smelling s**t and I'm sure she wouldn't like to be grabbed by the scruff and lifted off the floor---well... maybe she would. She's stupid Armenian trash.

Ivan

All I can say is wow. I cannot believe people had a problem with this. They can see people bloody and bruised or dead and not have a single problem with it, but people FREAK OUT over an animal. Don't get me wrong I love my pet cat and dog, but this is just BEYOND nuts. It reminds me of all the outrage over that marine killing that puppy in Iraq. Are you freaking kidding me? It was an animal. There are PEOPLE over there in Iraq being murdered by those puppy killing sociopaths. Oh course not all soldiers are murderous madmen, but you get the point. Focus on the right issues people.

Stephanie

Since Kim Kardashian isn't a mother cat, she has no reason to hold a kitten like that.

Edfinite

I don't usually make comments to TMZ posts, but this is too much for me. Anyone who has had animals, particularly cats knows that holding a cat by the scruff of the neck in no way, shape or form is mistreating the animal. For those who think that this is wrong, get a look at how parent cats move their children around...by the scruff of the neck. If this cat had been obviously overweight then you might have a point. This is nothing but a tempest in a teapot. Please!

Pistol

PETA is about being seen. They're the Paris Hilton of supposed animal rights groups.

kleeow

What a load of crap!!! The cat wasn't harmed, but I'm sure it suffered discomfort. Only the mothers to these animals are (PERMITTED) to carry their young this way.

Travis

I wish I could hold her ***** like that.. :)

andy

Kim's kitty looks warm and soft, and even fairly clean . . .

your mom

**** you Peta. Just as bad as Gay rights idiots.

moe

POOR KITTY!

Pongo

Right or wrong? Who cares? The question is why? It's completely gratuitous and unnecessary. Why does she have to involve innocent animals in her increasingly desperate bids for media attention? Good grief girl, grow up already.

LORI

SOMEBODY SHOULD HOLD THIS **** BY THE HAIR....OH YA ALL HER EX'S ALREADY HAVE!!

Linda

C'mon now Kim, why do you have to abuse a cat? I love your show,
but this is really upsetting to me! You acted so concerned about
the dog on one of your show, how could you hold this cat like that?

Ashley

Seriously Kim??!! I used to love Kim. Now I think she is pathetic. Right or wrong, the girl should have had enough sense to not post this pic. She doesn't even look good in this pic. It is just weird!! Kim probably has a million pictures of herself so did she really need this one?! Bottom line, if she has to hold the kitten this way she shouldn't be holding it at all. She deserves all the negative publicity at this point. Stupid girl.

Ashley

Just another dumb thing for this girl to do. When is she going to become famous for something?? This picture is so weird!! Way to go Reggie for not being with her anymore, lol!