The 'Lost' Diary -- The Last Recruit

4/21/2010 7:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

Lately, I have been having a difficult time writing this intro paragraph (sometimes I have even skipped it all together). Then today, a friend who doesn't watch "Lost" asked me, "Hey, how has this season been? I've heard mixed things." I struggled to answer him. I wouldn't say I have been disappointed by this final season, but how many truly great episodes have we had? Maybe two? The rest I have felt very ambivalent about. Maybe that's why I can't think of a topic to lead the Diary off with each week.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. Tonight I am watching "Lost" with my co-worker Molly and her weekly crew. I have been warned about excessive pausing and needless chatter. Should be interesting. Let's roll ...

9:00 -- Is it just me or was the Previously on "Lost" segment very flash sideways heavy.

9:01 -- Picking up where we left off at the "Lost" Tribal Counsel, Not Locke tells Jack they have "a lot of catching up to do." Why would Not Locke say that? Is there some part of Locke still inside there?

9:02 -- Not Locke tells Jack that he sometimes like to dress up as Christian Shephard and go haunting Jack in the jungle. OK, he didn't say it in those exact words, but still. By the way -- if we never hear from Christian again, I will be beyond angry.

9:03 -- Not Locke is explaining to Jack that he has been Team Jack from the beginning -- and that it was Jacob's fault he was stuck on the island in the first place. I think Not Locke is gonna need a better sales pitch than that. Then again, Jack is pretty dumb.

9:04 -- "My name is John." -- Locke. Sun is being wheeled into the hospital at the same time as Locke and freaks out.

9:05 -- A Claire/Jack reunion has about as much emotional pull on me as one of those DirecTV commercials.

9:06 -- "You decided the moment you let him talk to you; just like the rest of us. So whether you like it or not, you're with him now." -- Claire

9:10 -- If you had a secret, would you tell Hurley?

9:11 -- When was the last time this many Losties were together at the same time?

9:12 -- "So nice to have everyone back together again." -- Not Locke. Dude, I JUST SAID THAT!

9:13 -- "It would never work, sweetheart. I'm a cop, you're a murderer." -- Sawyer

9:14 -- Zoe has shown up to camp and she wants Desmond back. What would happen if Team Widmore killed all the candidates? Would Not Locke be able to leave? Can they even be killed?

9:15 -- "Well, here we go." -- Not Locke

9:20 -- Claire and Desmond have run into each other as Claire is headed to an adoption agency. Desmond is trying to help Claire with her adoption meeting, but really just comes off like a creepy stalker. But he's got an accent and he's quite handsome, so I am guessing Claire will be all for it.

9:22 -- So instead of being some kind of mercenary, Ilana is a lawyer in the flash sideways universe.

9:23 -- Not Locke is rallying the troops to take on Team Widmore. Not exactly the speech from "Braveheart," but it will do. We also had to watch this scene twice because Molly went through the convoluted process of removing one of her socks so she could use her feet to steal a bag of Thin Mints. These kinds of things don't happen when I watch "Lost" by myself.

9:24 -- Sawyer is letting Jack in on his plan and Not Locke is sending Sayid to kill Desmond. I wish I could combine those sentences and Sayid was headed to kill Jack. Alas ...

9:30 -- Apparently Desmond is chilling in the bottom of a well. Last week they made that well seemed like it was never-ending, this week it was like 20 feet.

9:31 -- "This woman, when she asks you what you did to be with her again, what will you tell her?" -- Desmond

9:32 -- Remember a few weeks back I threw out an idea that how much people changed in their flash sideways was some how indicative of which team they ended up on? And I said that Kate, Sawyer and Sayid all seemed to still sort of be the people they were before the island? Have you noticed who this week's flash sideways seems to be focusing on? Just saying ...

9:33 -- Was Sayid just thwarted by a garden hose?

9:34 -- Sawyer is trying to explain to Kate that since Claire is "drinking Locke's Kool Aid" she's not allowed in their escape plan. I can already see how Kate goes against Sawyer's instructions and screws things up. It's the Kate way.

9:35 -- Seems as if Sayid is running a little late -- perhaps Desmond's little speech worked? What am I saying? Of course it worked! Desmond can't die in the bottom of a well.

9:36 -- Jack is carrying out Sawyer's plan, but Claire has caught wind of it.

9:37 -- Sayid just lied to a man who can turn into a black cloud of smoke and kill everyone. Bad idea.

9:39 -- Kate's speech to Claire has worked... for now. Is it weird I am rooting for Claire to die?

9:40 -- "He finds out we're gone, he's gonna be mad." -- Claire

9:44 -- Jack and his son are the lawyer's office to hear Christian's will being read -- and to meet Claire, I suppose.

9:45 -- "He was my father too." -- Claire. Never a fun sentence to say or hear.

9:46 -- There's been an emergency at the hospital -- probably something to do with a paraplegic being hit by a car.

9:47 -- "Doesn't feel right. ... leaving the island." -- Jack

9:48 -- "Get off my damn boat." -- Sawyer. Man, that was a ridiculous line.

9:49 -- "I'm sorry I got Juliet killed." -- Jack, right before he jumps off the boat. Guess that makes Jack ... the last recruit.

9:55 -- "The baby's fine." -- Jin. I think that's maybe a sign of which side of things they fall on on the island.

9:56 -- I'm actually enjoying Jack and his son and I liked that Jack jumped off the boat. Wait, do I like Jack now?

9:57 -- "I got this." -- Jack

9:58 -- It just hit me: Are we about to get our Jin/Sun reunion?

9:59 -- "Sun?" -- Jin

9:59 -- "Jin?" -- Sun

10:00 -- "Deal's off." -- Zoe

10:01 -- "You're with me now." -- Not Locke

If Kate Hudson was on "Lost," she'd probably say, "It's all happening." Of course, if Kate Hudson was on "Lost," it would suck.

Anyway, I think the point we are supposed to take home from tonight's episode is that everyone is coming together -- both on the island and off. I can't remember the last time we had so many of our main characters together.

But if the point of the episode was simply that the main characters are coming together, then was there really any point?

This is also the second week in a row that we've been given the answer to a long-standing question and that answer just felt "convenient." So the Man in Black took the form of Christian back in episode 3? Do you think the writers knew that at the time they wrote it? And hasn't Christian appeared to people off the island (Michael, right before he died) and we know the MiB can't leave the island?

Although ... it was "Christian" who was the one who told Locke to bring everyone back to the island. So perhaps that works. Still, feels a little forced.

Speaking of Christian -- if there are no further revelations about him before this is all said and done, my head will explode.

Tonight's episode violated a major rule for me: The Sydney Bristow rule. Several episodes of "Alias" would end on a cliffhanger with Sydney facing certain death. Really? You're going to kill the main character now? I don't think so.

"Lost" did it tonight ... twice! There was no way in hell Desmond was being shot at the bottom of a well. And I certainly don't think half the cast is getting mowed down by machine guns on the beach. Faux suspense is the worst thing a show can do.

All in all, tonight's episode did very little for me -- and I didn't even get to the let down I had from the Jin/Sun reunion. I was expecting a little more build-up (like one of them actually deliberately doing something to find the other, rather than "Oh hey, look. There you are." And don't get me started on Sun's reappearing English).

I give tonight's episode a C-. We're getting down to the wire here and I expect a lot from each episode and lately, I feel like they are falling short.

Here's a question -- remember back during season 2 or 3, when something so mind-blowing would happen, that you'd have to pause the show right then and there? Maybe even immediately rewind the scene and watch it again? I called them TiVo Moments (not sponsored).

How many of those have we had in the last, let's say two seasons?

It's not the barometer by which to judge all of "Lost," but I miss those moments.

sskiles

Maybe it's just because there has been so much build up for so long towards this ending, but I'm afraid that no matter what happens in these final few episodes, that I will end up being disappointed. It's impossible for them to conclude all of the story lines I wish I could see concluded. And in the end, I'm just sad that it's all ending. What are we going to do without LOST every week?? I will be very surprised if I see another show come along on one of the major networks that's on the same level as this show.

bifer

Has Jack always had his tattoos? they were clearly shown last night (while on the island), on his arm.

Gin

Lost has been a thrilling roller-coaster ride for six seasons......ups and downs and now we're coming in for the finish. Let's just enjoy the rest of the ride together.

I think Juliet is going to be Jack's wife. Why do they all seem to be going to the hospital in LA. The pilot is needed to fly them off the island and I think they forget what has happened until Desmond is going to bring them all together somehow in LA.

Or is Jack going to stay on the island and take Jacob's place... Is Jack a nickname for Jacob....

We left last night with Jack about to operate on Locke...... will he save him or kill him to fulfill their destiny?

When Desmond went to Eloise as Widmore's wife in L.A., Desmond wanted to see the party list. Eloise said you're not ready. Will the cast all be together at the end for the party Eloise is putting together and it turns out to be Desmond and Penny's wedding with Charlie's band playing? or Sawyer and Kate's wedding? or the cast wrap party?

You know you will wonder about many things... buy the dvd's and watch again.

Time to fasten our seat belts for the last four episodes and enjoy the ride. No one is getting off at the this point. This will be remembered as one of the all-time great tv series.

The Evil Marshall D

"I do think the writers knew how this was going to be put together when they wrote it. Remember Desmond telling Jack-"see you in another life, brother." ? They knew."

Riiiiiight. The writers knew they were going to introduce Desmond's character on the Island, that's what they knew. As far as Chritian being Smokie, I don't think so. Else how could he possibly show up when Jack was "off-Island", or on the freighter? "Forced" is right. "Planned" would have been Christain's illusion disappearing in...SMOKE...years ago. And what would be wrong in knowing that, say, three season's ago? Wouldn't have affected any of the other plot points.

I think this was a decent recap, Diary Dude, less wordy than Doc Jensen for a quick perspective, but certainly not an in-depth analysis, juxipositioning classical fiction and pop culture with a show that may have actually "LOST" it's way. That remains to be seen, but GEEZ! It's just not as "meaty" a season as previous ones, and a lot of "fans" say so.

And to those other "fans" who would relish the smell of Cuse's farts: as far as your, "If you say something bad about my show, you better go watch something else" hissy fits, get some backbone so the criticism doesn't hurt so much, wimps! I mean, hell, you don't write the damned show, act in the show, have no financial stake in the show....all you are is a fan! Not a disciple (and if you are...GET A LIFE, TOO!). Period. Like you can demand conformity and put down critcism like a despot puts down a freaking up-rising. You're too damned lazy to even GET the power it takes to demand conformity. You don't like what he says...write your own damned blog (same argument you're using conceptually), then you can tell everyone how you creamed your slacks when Miles made a another joke, or Kate looked longingly at Jack, or Locke gave somebody "that look". I agree with the 40% of the commenters who suggest this has been a slow final season. Why do I watch...I invested years waiting for this crap (back when it wasn't all crap). I'm riding it to the bitter end....but there's no auto-switch that predetermines I'll like what I see when I get there. "You're bring me down, Dude?" Well, who's fault is that, that your emotional well-being is as fragile as Jacob's Lighthouse?

And after YEARS apart, the Sun/Jin reunion was underwhelming. Not the "reunion" itself, the scene....not....powerful....at all.
Who directed that...sixth graders? If your heart melted, then keep saying to your self: 'It's only a TV show...it's only a TV show"...not two real people getting together.

Remembered as the all-time best TV? Could have been...could have been. But, I have faith in the future of humanity to exceed this series as it limps to a conclusion, because some were saying the same thing about MASH 25 years ago. Those cats still watch the DVD's of that hackneyed series...just like you'll be watching "LOST". Take a look at those cats...that's YOU in 25 years. Word.

lost grrl

I am so glad I am not the only one sick of the complaining in the recaps! C-??? Really? The plot moved, we got some answers, there was a Jin and Sun reunion...it wasn't a top 10 episode but it was much better than you graded it. I think you must have some seriously out of whack expectations. Guess what...we will not see every single question ever raised about Lost answered. Damon and Carlton would have to sit in front of the camera and do an episode-by-episode review for 18 hours in order for that to happen. Frankly, this way is better!

lost grrl

TO SARAH: Yes! I totally thought they were gonna get fried! Lucky for them the people back at headquarters were quick about turning them off! LOL

@!

#17 i was holding my breath on that scene!

the Diary took a while, thought i was gonna miss it today...love seeing all the comments

AGF

I AM GLAD MY FAVORITE MIND BLOWING TOTALLY AWESOMELY AND HYSTERICALLY WONDERFUL SHOW, NAMELY LOST, IS GOING OFF THE AIR. THEN I KNOW ONCE AND FOR ALL YOUR TEDIOUSLY IRRITATING AND WAY OFF THE MARK REVIEWS OF THIS SHOW WILL FINALLY BE OVER. YOU ARE SUCH A HACK. WHY DON'T YOU GO ON AND WRITE A TV SHOW YOURSELF DANIEL???? WHAT...YOU HAVE NO TALENT? GEE WHAT A FRICKING SURPRISE. LOST IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST ENJOYABLY COMPLEX AND WELL ACTED DRAMAS OF ALL TIME! IT’S MYTHOLOGY WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY.

DANIEL - I HOPE YOU GO DOWN IN A PLANE CRASH AND LAND ON A DESERTED ISLAND - WHERE YOU WILL BE ALL ALONE AND THEN THERE WILL BE THIS WHISPERING SOUND AND A LOOOONG BLACK COLUMN OF SMOKE AND....!

Mike

I'm so upset this show is ending! It's been getting better with each episode inching to the finale. The first part of the season - well questionable, but recently? It's been solid. Can not wait until 5/23!

rwilder

And Sarah, I was freaked by the Jin/Sun/pylon thing too ... after watching Mikhail fry in season 3, I was waiting for one of them to get nailed by the bug zapper. Thankfully the writers weren't that cruel to us!

rwilder

I have to disagree on ending the show with the suspense of the main characters on the beach with the machine guns... if we knew there end of the show wasn't near, I'd agree. But we've been warned many times that not all of our favorites will come out of this alive. With only four episodes left, it's plausible that some are soon going to start dying. I hate to say it, I don't want to see it happen, but I can buy it now more than any time before this in the show's history when I see a gun at someone's head.

That said, I do have to agree with you about Saywer's "get off my damn boat" line ... WEAK... Thankfully he also had the best line of the night when referring to Frank as looking like something out of a Burt Reynolds movie. I rolled!

April

The past few episodes have been really disappointing. I miss having my mind blown. I miss Jacob. :( I hope these episodes have been so mediocre because the next four are absolutely and the writers just didn't want our heads to explode.

And Jack has always had the tattoos. You can see the ones on his arm when he's playing football with the others way back when.

I feel like a loser for knowing that.

BabyBlues

Didn't Jack see Christian at the hospital in season 5?

Monica

OK Gang, I spoke with someone yesterday really connected with the show & all he would say is..."EVERYTHING GETS ANSWERED IN THE FINALL SHOW"! We are not left hanging.... WOW-that pretty exciting.Only a couple of weeks till the greatest show on earth is done-too bad.

@!

I'm sooo conflicted...on the island or off!I need answers
I thought in the beginning there were teasers out that Jack's tattoo ment something in relation to the island!?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments