A Picture That Will Live in Infamy

4/22/2010 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The 91-year-old resurfaced at an event in San Francisco on Tuesday, looking victorious.

A week after being taken, the famous pic was published in Life magazine.

In 2008, the sailor in the photo was recognized as Glenn McDuffie.

Shady's Lady

B.S.

kevin33

someone needs to look up the meaning of infamy

Leslie

I know a guy who knows this lady, and he just adores her. He says she's a great person.

Susie-Q

Wow this is awesome and the most "inspiring" tidbit I have ever seen TMZ post!! I am impressed. My Mother was there at times square back then while living in new york. She remembers the day well, although not this actual picture. It has special meaning for me cause she was there at the time. She now is deceased. Thanks for posting. It must have been a wonderful day from what I always heard!!

Bobbie

Eisenstadt said in his memiors that he didn't get either person's name because their was so much chaos in Time Square that day. How do we know this is really her?

Bob Downing

Her name is Edith Shane. I knew her well....she ended up being a kindergarten teacher for a few decades at Han**** Park Elementary on Fairfax Ave. in Los Angeles. Very nice lady.

La Mom

This photo will never live in INFAMY, and I don't think that's just a matter of opinion. It's beautiful.

Kendal

She looks amazing for 91!

JordanH.

LOL @ kevin33. Guys, seriously, is it so hard to google a word, or pull up dictionary dot com? I find it hard to believe that nobody at TMZ ever took the SAT exam. If it's a joke - "TMZ always uses the wrong word in the Memba Them section" it 1)is sad, not funny and 2) was old the first time you started it. You write for a living, have some respect for words.

cc

Seriously...why would the photo live in INFAMY??? Infamy is bad. Infamous...basically means something is famously BAD...Like, Charles Manson...his crimes will live in infamy. Hitler...infamous. Mussolini...infamous. Lizzie Borden...infamous. Ya catch my drift, right?? Jeez. You copy writers aren't the brightest, that's for sure.

kajohns64

OMG!! It's Roger Waters!

D

For those of you questioning the use of the word "infamy" - it was a poor attempt by TMZ writers to connect this pic of V-J Day w/ FDR's famous speech about the attack on Pearl Harbor: "a day that will live in infamy." Not funny, obviously. But spending a little time in a history book would have at least given you dimwits some context.

OooooNooo!

The big question is this: Was there a "happy ending" to the kiss. . .

OooooNooo!

Gosh, I just noticed -- that lady has seaman all over the front of her dress!

ad

I think we all got the connection to the FDR quote "D". Most were past that and onto the ridiculous use of infamy.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments