Bret Michaels -- Stabilized

4/24/2010 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0423_brett_michaels_EX_TMZ_01Bret Michaels is awake, in good spirits and talking ... TMZ has learned.

Ambre Lake, the Season 2 winner of "Rock of Love," tells TMZ she's spoken with people who are close to Bret who say he's stabilized and conscious.

Lake's tale matches another contestant who has also spoken with Bret's bandmates.

We're told the next 24 to 48 hours are critical -- Bret will be closely monitored.

Linda

Good news...I heard hes been through alot lately, with the appendectomy and now this. I wonder if it was from surgery?

AnnieSH

To the one posing as TMZ staff:

You should be ashamed of yourself posting a link to a rape story! You are beyond repulsive and I hope one day your sick joke will come back at you ten fold.

donna

Bret, you are one in a million and you can do this. Easy and slow...for a while and then when you are feeling better, easy and slow. This is what it is going to take to heal but no problems, take the time and write some new songs and then let someone else bring that song to life...remember easy and slow and this time next year expect to see you sitting on the opposite side of the Boardroom critiquing the contestants. Peace, love, and prayers to you and yours.

Jessica Johnson

Sad to hear about this terrible news . All my prayers and thoughts are with you, your daughters and family . Im glad to hear your stablizing , you will pull through with your strength . Best wishes from your fan in australia .X

guichodun

I don't think people would miss a walking STD.

kathryn

glad to hear bret is recovering. he is one of the coolest rock star ever!!

Sherryl

People are so gullable to believe a story on here from a skank from a tv show! His own website just posted yesterday saying that there are wrong stories out there and that he is still in critical condition. I wouldn't get my "news" from a gossip site if I were you. Please just pray for him.

3Storms

I bet that they had to take that wig off to check his head

KeepItSimple

brenda rogers

Get well Brett, God will be with you and watch over you. I am happy to read you are awake. Take care brother

yitwow

So, TMZ........remember when he got hit over the head with whatever it was at the Tony Awards? Um....can you say cerebal hemorage? I bet you that is what started this. Run down the facts and let us know............

lisa

little hard to believe he is awake and in good spirits....not after a brain bleed like that close to the brain stem.

Su

All other news outlets say he is still in critical condition. WTF? Why would TMZ take some used up hookers word on Bret Michaels condition, as opposed to, oh I don't know,... a doctor, his publicist, or family member??

Larien

TMZ, I really can't believe you were naive enough to post this. If a couple of trashy pigs whose life ambitions are to leech off of whatever celebrity wallet they can shake their fake cans at are your so called "sources," then it seems I've got to find another entertainment news website. As we obviously know, and as numerous others have stated, he's not awake and is still critical. Do a little better research next time, or for God's sake, friend him on facebook, how freaking hard is it to get it right.

Darlene

Iam so happy to hear that Bret is Stable he has been on my mind since all this has happened. I grew up in the 80's and his Band and music is still fresh in my mind ROCK ON BRET!