Bret Michaels -- The Odds of Survival

4/23/2010 6:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels doesn't just need good medical attention to survive his current condition -- he also needs luck.

According to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, people who don't receive proper medical treatment after suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage have a 20% to 30% chance of experiencing a second bleed within the first month -- and the odds of surviving a second bleed are extremely slim.

Cedars states, "Recurrent bleeding has a 70% mortality rate."

Fortunately, Michaels is reportedly being treated in a capable medical center.

However, it appears as though Michaels is already beating the odds -- Cedars reports that roughly 1/3 of people who have a subarachnoid hemorrhage die during the hemorrhage because of extensive brain damage. Obviously, Michaels has already cleared that hurdle.

As for Michaels' treatment, Cedars warns, "Because of the ominous prognosis with delayed definitive therapy, referral to a center of excellence with experience in treating subarachnoid hemorrhage is imperative."

Marilyn Mitchell

My prayers are with you. Wish i could be there by your side.

cheswick

"However, it appears as though Michaels is already beating the odds -- Cedars reports that roughly 1/3 of people who have a subarachnoid hemorrhage die during the hemorrhage because of extensive brain damage."

Umm what? How is that beating the odds? 2/3's survival rate is the majority.

Kelli

For all we know he just had water or pop in what looked like an alcoholic drink-he might have just wanted to look normal-it does not mean he was actually drinking and in fact-he never seemed under the influence on the show IMO!

Becky Geer

Brett, same thing happened to me back in 2/2008. I'm glad to report that I'm doing well now after being in the hospital for what seemed to be a hell of a long time. I remember doing alot of rehab work whether it be PT OT or ST. I don't remember much of anything else during my hospital stay. Hope all goes well for you in your recovery. Try crossword puzzles and just keep moving forward. Don't let anyone tell you that you won't recover! I did.

JODIE

MY PRAYS R WITH U I LOVE BRET I HAVE BEEN A FAN OF URS 4 LONG TIME I KNOW U CAN BEAT THE ODDS HANG IN THERE LUV U

judy

Bret,good luck to you & i wish you a speedy recovery so we can see those beautiful eyes again on stage, & on apprentice i was rooting for you to win on apprentice because of your charity, it runs in my family best of luck to you & your daughter,& i love your hat & bandana it is so you, thank you for your music & your great smile 60 year old grand ma (never to old to appreciate good music)

Inga

God will give him strength to recover and get back to looking after his two beautiful little girls. He is an inspiration to us all and he WILL recover. We still need a Bret Michaels on this earth.

C

Has anyone heard if he is able to feed himself and does he recognize his family and all, many prayers wishing u the best Brett

denise murter

i wish nothing but the best for you Bret you seem like a good soul and a caring individual and a good father so hopefully you'll be blessed with good health and be given another chance , god bless you and heal you...watched you on Rock of love and now the apprentice. nice guy

cheryl carpenter

Hang in there Brett! You are an awesome person with so much going on for you! I adore you! GOD BLESS YOU!! Cheryl Carpenter Brownwood, Texas

cheryl carpenter

Brett,

Hang in there! You are so blessed with who you are and what you do, I really admire you and always have. GOD BLESS YOU

dmnyc

Enough with the God stuff.
God did this to him. There. Now you want God to fix him?
"God-people" are crazy.

Rene

You were one of my biggest childhood idols because of your music, but more than that you've proven to be a hell of a stand up guy and genuine human being. I have all the respect in the world for you, and i'm praying that you will make a speedy and full recovery.

Get well Brett, i'm expecting you to win this seasons celebrity apprentice!

bobby

ahh...is this guy really that serious or serious about a summer tour? i don't believe a ****ing word of this,...poser till death is brett wanna be

tf

be strong brent i suffered two in a near fatal car crash and im still hanging on and doing alot better.