Bret Michaels -- The Odds of Survival

4/23/2010 6:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels doesn't just need good medical attention to survive his current condition -- he also needs luck.

According to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, people who don't receive proper medical treatment after suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage have a 20% to 30% chance of experiencing a second bleed within the first month -- and the odds of surviving a second bleed are extremely slim.

Cedars states, "Recurrent bleeding has a 70% mortality rate."

Fortunately, Michaels is reportedly being treated in a capable medical center.

However, it appears as though Michaels is already beating the odds -- Cedars reports that roughly 1/3 of people who have a subarachnoid hemorrhage die during the hemorrhage because of extensive brain damage. Obviously, Michaels has already cleared that hurdle.

As for Michaels' treatment, Cedars warns, "Because of the ominous prognosis with delayed definitive therapy, referral to a center of excellence with experience in treating subarachnoid hemorrhage is imperative."

RockWey45

Who cares? Sleazy, vulgar, has-been rockstar might die. So what?

Alyssa

TMZ, when only 1/3 of patients die during the hemorrhage, the fact that Bret didn't puts him in the 2/3 majority of sufferers that survive. Last time I checked, 2/3 is greater than 1/3, meaning the odds are that he would survive, not that he has to beat the odds to survive. We understand this is a serious situation, you don't have to try to make it sexy be misrepresenting the odds.

APRIL

BRET HAS 2 DAUGHTERS RAINE 9 AND GEORGIA BLU 4 NOT JUST ONE

Joann

I'm not a fan of Brett's music and only know him by his ROL shows on VH1 and being on the Celebrity Apprentice, but I am praying for a full recovery. He seems like a nice dude.

APRIL

14 HE HAS BLEEDIN ON HIS BRAIN STEM AND I ALL YOU INSNSITIVE HATERS I HOPE YOU GET ONE

cjs

Not a good thing at all, so sad.

Darlene

Good luck, my thoughts are with you!!

Emily

My name is Emily. iam about to be 12 in May and all i wish for is for Bret to get better. GIVE US SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN!!!!!!!!

mamajj

Well I have to admit I was one of those silly little
teenage girls who loved Poison.
This is very sad news. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Michelle

Poor guy,I sincerely hope he gets well...I'll be praying for him,beat this Bret,you still got alot of rockin' to do!

marica

Hang in there Bret! Get better!

Black

on one of the rock of love shows, one of the contestant's father asked Brett if he was bald--he took off his bandana and showed a full head of hair

Heather

My thoughts and prayers and with Bret and his family. My mother suffered a subarachnoid hemmorage and made a full recovery - I hope the same can be said of Bret in the near future.

Heather

My mother suffered a subarachnoid hemmorage a few years ago. She was extremely lucky and made a full recovery. I truly pray the same may soon be said of Bret.

Spike

Maybe all that eye makeup is toxic.