Bret Michaels -- The Odds of Survival

4/23/2010 6:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels doesn't just need good medical attention to survive his current condition -- he also needs luck.

According to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, people who don't receive proper medical treatment after suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage have a 20% to 30% chance of experiencing a second bleed within the first month -- and the odds of surviving a second bleed are extremely slim.

Cedars states, "Recurrent bleeding has a 70% mortality rate."

Fortunately, Michaels is reportedly being treated in a capable medical center.

However, it appears as though Michaels is already beating the odds -- Cedars reports that roughly 1/3 of people who have a subarachnoid hemorrhage die during the hemorrhage because of extensive brain damage. Obviously, Michaels has already cleared that hurdle.

As for Michaels' treatment, Cedars warns, "Because of the ominous prognosis with delayed definitive therapy, referral to a center of excellence with experience in treating subarachnoid hemorrhage is imperative."

Vera

I'm his same age but never cared much por Poison, I became a fan of Bret Michaels in Rock of Love, what a fun man to watch. He was so nice to all the girls, regardless of their problems at the time. He seems such a sweet, sexy man and very easy on the eye, even with no wig!!! Love you Bret, get well soon and Live!!!

Glenda

I wish him the best of luck. Don't be morbid people. He deserve a chance just all of you.

Good Luck, and speedy recovery

Chris

May suggest loosening that bandana a little? It can't be too good for the ol' noodle!

Danny Youngs

Brett,You've shared your talents and your AWESOME SONGS like "EVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN" to "SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN" with dozens of others and know there are plenty left in ya so Get better soon and show em a good A$$ kickin on stage WE"RE Praying for ya!

justagirl

I read thru all of the comments and first of all, Bret, please get better ASAP. You have been thru SO MUCH OMG (getting hit in the head @ the Tony's, The Apprentice, ROL 1, 2 & 3, your touring, your daughter getting diabetes, your appendix OMG how unfair is this brain hemmorage thing.)

I do have to say after reading the comments that Bret has a nice head of hair (paid for it in Europe) so quit saying he's bald. Bandanas are his thing.

Second of all THANKS to whoever said he got fired by Trump b/c that was a major spoiler and I've been watching and keeping my fingers crossed that he wins for his charity--diabetes!!!

Thirdly who cares if you never cared for his music, some of us LOVE IT so ROCK ON everyone else get a life lol.

Whoever said every rose has it's hemmorage can kiss my !@#.

Lastly, Bret recover swiftly my friend. Maybe a nice vacation back to Akumal/Mexico once you recover b/c you certainly deserve it! (Course you can bring me since I'm your next ROCK GODDESS you just haven't met yet lol.) Give us something to believe in Bret!

WHATEVER

i hope all the losers from the apprentice show who made fun of brett wish they'd just shut up now.
i am sick of artistic people being hassled as "spacey" or "unorganized" or "talk a lot", ect., its just the jealousy coming out of the mouths of people who are not so creative------and shows their lack of understanding of various personalities.
brett doesn't really badmouth anyone.
i hope he makes a full, fast recovery------

Amy Hupp

I hope its not from tooo much head banging! LOL just kidding From my family to yours we wish you a complete recovery. Like most of the era of the hairbands...our boyfriends shared us with Bret on many occasions HA!, Your awesome! Take care of yourself so you can continue to age well and see the angels of your life grow up, your kids.

ginger

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

that's just messed up

Felicia

Though not a big Poison fan, I've always liked Bret Michaels, though didn't know him by name. Not until the American Apprentice, did I Really come to not only like him, but a great respect for him, which is the only reason I considered watching the Apprentice.

I will continue to Keep Brett in my prayers, as I know now that there is so much more to this man than the rock star persona.

Brett's blessing have gotten him this far and in the hands of great Dr's. Not the case with my Father, who had headaches most of his life, and wasn't diagnosed with an annurism in brain. Dispite the large size and severity, he did not make it to the surgical treatment which was set for a month later.

Be grateful for the blessings thus far, and through this gratitude, more blessings should follow. Be blessed and be well ~.~

Long time fan

Come on buddy if you survived "The Donald" you can survive anything!! Our prayers of speedy recovery and lots more years with your children are being said for you. You are a great father and God will keep you here where you are needed. He just needed to jar you around to keep you focused on your priorities. You will fight through this we have faith. God bless you Bret and your family!

@emrfocus

wishing him a speedy recovery

@emrfocus

1nOC

"Because of the ominous prognosis with delayed definitive therapy,
-means->the threatening outlook for survival while deciding what options are available needs a definite treatment...
-means->planning to send him to a facility specialized on effectively handling brain injuries and related ongoing treatment immediately!-got it?
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center> This is an excellant Emergency Care facility. But this injury needs expert care. Since there appears to be an option-they would rather he see a specialist.
Hope you make it through this Mike! Take care-God Bless!

Mr. Bate

Wrong photo? Looks like Rachel Uchtel. Lucky Tiger.

Bubbajk

This is survivable - I know, I did it in 1997 at age 43, and today have no outward signs of what happened

Anne Johns

The comment from poster, "Go Bret" may be on to something. It's called a "contra-coup" injury. A lot of times people who get hit in the upper frontal portion of their head end up with an injury to the opposite area, in this case, exactly where his hemmorhage is....the lower posterior region of his brain....
I'm assuming his doctors are aware of this; I hope.