Bret Michaels -- 'Setback' in Recovery Process

4/27/2010 7:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0423_brett_michaels_BN_TMZ_03Bret Michaels' reps confirm that the rocker suffered a "setback" in his recovery from a brain hemorrhage -- and he may now be at risk for seizures.

According to Bret's people -- test results show Bret is experiencing hyponatremia, a side effect from the subarachnoid hemorrhage which is caused by a lack of sodium in the body. The condition can often lead to seizures.

But despite the setback, doctors are still hopeful Bret will gradually improve, "as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months."

Bret's reps also report that the rocker "remains under 24-hour observation in the ICU and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments."

Bret was first hospitalized for the hemorrhage last Thursday night after complaining of a massive headache.

Tiffany Goings

As we are given updates and learning more about the details of Bret Michaels brain hemorrhage and the recent setback that may cause him to develop seizures, we should count our blessings and keep him and his family in our thoughts and prayers. His health condition is an eye-opener to all of us and it definitely hits home. Knowing that this can happen to him, means that it can happen to any one of us. So my best advice is to seize the day, do not sweat the small stuff and make sure you tell the people in your life that you love them at every chance you have.

Tyler

Anyone else catch that they said, ..."plan to release more specific information next Monday."

Most likely means they are giving family and friends a chance to get to Arizona to say their goodbyes. It is Tuesday today, so it sounds like they want time to allow those close to visit one last time.

Ace Steele

Bret's a good guy, and one of the most driven artists I've ever seen.
Since he first showed up on the L.A. club scene he's been one of the hardest working musicians & is totally deserving of all his success. I wish him nothing but the best and a speedy recovery.

cj

I guess Brett will have to lay off the skanks for awhile,just kidding,like any other human,I send him well wishes.

Batman

Lol..I love you Mr.Pip

Mondia

Get well soon! So many people care about you Bret!

M

he has two young daughters that he loves dearly I wish well to his daughters and the mother of his children God's speed to their lips..and to their hearts... for their father..

Tyler

He is at Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. They have some of the best doctors in the world.

Tyler

It's just to hide my fears
And in a time of dying
Our life becomes so clear
They say the good Lord works in such mysterious ways
I just hope he gives me one more day

Tyler

His new song, One More Day, lyrics are pretty fitting. He probably is asking for One More Day:

I sit here and wonder

It's just to hide my fears
And in a time of dying
Our life becomes so clear
They say the good Lord works in such mysterious ways
I just hope he gives me one more day

sandy

it is a shame that the personal messages that are so very much related to this situation are being deleted due to idiots that comment with wacky nonsense and have no idea of this situation, etc. those of us that are real people that have been through this find it isulting and a pure disgrace that any site would do this .... and amazingly this site chooses to keep statementa from YO-YO and CLOWN or whatever it is, which has nothing to do with nothing. BIZARRE

sandy

to the comment of brets dad. maybe he is old??? sickly??? omg, when our family went through this, it didnt matter how old, sickly or whatever anyone was, the decisions that are to be made, can only be made by the immediate family, whether they are old, sickly or whatever, as long as they can speak, it is their word and decisions that will be followed. at this point brets life is quite literally in their hands.

urbusted

Some of these comments ("Tyler", "Santa", "Sandy". "Mr. Pip", "Dan", "Batman"), show what cold SOBs some people can be. It's heartless, man. You will notice it's all males that said these things.......I am sure you are a bunch fat ass slobs, living in your mommy's basement, never event touched a girl, and can't stand the Bret Michaels of the world that get all the hot chicks, while you can't get a girl, even if you pay her.
Well, guys, just remember, Karma is a female dog and she will come bite you in the ass!

sandy

sandy is a woman dear. and i have been a caregiver of my husband who went through this situation. it has been six years. just exactly what is your knowledge of this. i can give you and everyone here the true facts, but as i see those that have not had to look at the x-rays and get a crash course in the brain and discuss for months, day and night what is going to be done. sleep in the icu waiting room for months, so as to be woke up at any hour with an immediate You with your stupid comments are not only so uneducated it is so pathetic, you need to stop immediately even trying to communicate with other human beings. You are a fool, trash, and a disgrace to the human race. Karma will bite you and noone else to put your filthy mouth and garbage in a matter it is so obvious you know nothing about. Fat ass slob you think I am...I am a caregiver of six years that this same thing, and I dont mean the stuff others are talking about, I mean the same thing that has happened to Bret. You need to pray tonite that you have even had the nerve to attack a person that is literally living what will be Brets life if he lives. You are shameless and have made a absolute fool of yourself. How you will live with yourself after this, one only knows.

Sparkle

We love you Bret and are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.