Bret Michaels -- 'Setback' in Recovery Process

4/27/2010 7:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0423_brett_michaels_BN_TMZ_03Bret Michaels' reps confirm that the rocker suffered a "setback" in his recovery from a brain hemorrhage -- and he may now be at risk for seizures.

According to Bret's people -- test results show Bret is experiencing hyponatremia, a side effect from the subarachnoid hemorrhage which is caused by a lack of sodium in the body. The condition can often lead to seizures.

But despite the setback, doctors are still hopeful Bret will gradually improve, "as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months."

Bret's reps also report that the rocker "remains under 24-hour observation in the ICU and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments."

Bret was first hospitalized for the hemorrhage last Thursday night after complaining of a massive headache.

Sparkle

Also wanted to say that my dad had bleeding in the brain and while he waited for surgery he was conscious. He wasn't able to speak but he could write notes for us. Obviously every situation is different of course, but I just wanted to say that because of some of the people commenting that it wouldn't be possible for him to communicate. None of us really know fully what is going on, except for those closest to Bret. Please everyone keep him in your prayers.

sandy

i absolutely agree each situation is different. if this is a brain stem, the center of life, no i dont believe whatsoever he is talking. yes only the family knows, period. no doctor will tell the actual condition due to privacy laws obviously. only those that have been through this can even comment on what is the probable happenings and outcome. i love bret, always have, always will, i am so so sorry this has happened. the so called described condition, that is being told to the public against I assume privacy laws, points to a stroke has already happened. if it is the brain stem, how odd of all this talking, if it is the left side of the brain, yeah right there is talking sure..if it is the right side some day there may be talking. period.

twilightmom

Sandi-
I was sorry to read about the residuals your husband suffers from as a result of his aneurysm, but you yourself admit that you have no actual medical training. All you have learned, and I will say that a lot of what you post is spot on with terminology, anatomy, and characteristics of an aneurysm-everything you have learned was taught to you by your husbands caregivers, and much was specific to *your husbands* case.
All patients are not the same. Not everyone exhibits textbook signs and symptom of every disease or disorder. Such as all people do not have the same pain tolerance-I stub my toe and pass out, others can handle their pain much more admirably. Lol. It is possible for almost ANYTHING to occur-patient to patient. We're not all the same straight across the board. I had a brain tumor removed in 2005, this is normally about a two day stay if there are no complications. I used Tylenol for pain that night, and only Tylenol for maybe three days after discharge. I was discharged, straight from the ICU (never even had time to move to a step-down unit), less than 24 hrs post-op. The nurses there in the Neuro ICU had been N-ICU nurses for forever and a day. They ALL said they had never seen anyone EVER discharged straight from N-ICU. So, you really can't lump everyone into the same pile, no matter what the disorder. True...a sub-arach hemorrhage is serious, particularly around the brainstem. But, things (symptoms) may vary from pt to pt. It is possible (I spoke with my personal neurosurgeon, as well as some doctors where I have worked) for Brett to speak with his father if he is no longer intubated. He stated he was speaking slowly (probably due to sedatives given to keep him as quiet and as still as possible) but was cognitively aware of whom he was speaking to.
So, although your husband was exhibiting "textbook" symptoms, not every pt is the same. And no one can accurately say that this is all PR. The first report they truly got wrong, but..that was only 24-48 hrs after his admit. Yeah, most everyone knew that post was a crock.
There's a decent article over on ROL tonight about his condition and dealing with the hyponatremia, seizures, and the general area of the bleed. Plus a little more of the interview with Brett's Dad.
Not knocking you Sandi, just letting you understand there is really no such thing as a "standardized" pt. Everyone is so totally differeny- from how they present with their initial symptoms to how their recovery presents, to how long their recovery lasts.
Is he still at risk? Very much so, esp with the hyponatremia and its potential to cause seizures. Seizures increase intracranial pressure, hence the reasoning for placing pt's on anti-seizure meds in the beginning.
My blessings to you and your husband, and to him to still being with you til this day. I know it has to be mad crazy to be the primary caregiver for a loved one in that position. Don't let yourself become a statistic, take care of yourself and take the time out for you when you need. Never be afraid to ask for help. (=

Mel

WAKE UP CALL AMERICA!!! THIS IS WHAT EXCESSIVE DRUGS AND ALCOHOL WILL DO TO YOU...YOU COULD BE NEXT!! NO MORE FAST FOOD, ESPECIALLY DEEP FRIED, RUN, WALK, EAT VEGGIES,fRUIT, FISH, CHICKEN, DRINK WATER, BE AROUND POSITIVE PEOPLE...YOU DECIDE ON HOW YOUR LIFE WILL TURN OUT!!

sandy

I didnt even read any further than the stupid comment of anuresym, i never once said my husband had an anuresym....no he did not, and from all the reports, no bret did not have one either...it can be found in two days from the bleed. i dont need medical training dear, i am highly educated about this subject, period.....i have lived on a daily basis for six years making every decision about the medical facts and know every inch of the brain..thanks

sandy

want to clarify...when i said the left side of the brain and said yeah sure he is talking, i am sorry, i meant, yeah sure as a sarcastic sentence. no way, no how in this case, not this early, though in time he may say a few words if it is the left side of the brain...but again, i keep hearing brain stem, again....center of life folks. plain and very simple

sandy

Mel, I dont know how you know the facts but thank you god that someone has the correct info. you are absolutely correct. people how is it this happened to my husband with a 100% certainty of the cause, his friend the same age(in his 40s) that sat in the bar every night with him and did recreational activities, and another friend that also sat in the bar with them.. all had the same stroke...can you see the connection that is undeniable. two lived, disabled, one died. the reason that the public does not hear of this is that they people are not famous, the truth of famous people is not told, and the reports of deaths of anyone, famous or not, they never mention the real cause most of the time, just that they died. i urge the michaels family to come forth if this is the case, it is so important to educate young people of this, you will do the world so much good.. though I doubt you will.

sandy

the comment textbook case, how disgraceful to say at the least. how pathetic actually. do not comment unless you have extreme info and knowledge on the situation at hand. i will go into a meeting with any surgeon in the USA and be able to go over each and every probable operation that will be necessary and probable outcome and most likely quality of life that will be in each and every decision by the family and physicians, thanks so much for your very odd comments to confuse people that are truly interested in the future of Bret and want the truth.

Shanna

I am praying for Brett and his family. Tough thing to go through. And BTW I cannot believe how heartless people can be. The man is in serious condition and some peoples comments are so rude. One said "who gives a ****!" Well if you dont give a **** then dont care enough to write something so rude.

twilightmom

Well, excuse the f*@k out of me. So sorry I didn't go back and cross-reference old posts to make sure just *exactlty* what happened to your husband. God forbid!
No, Brett had a stroke-a sub-arach hemorrhage. Never said HE had an aneurysm. Must be nice to NOT need an education when you already know every thing there is to know about medicine. I know--you should put in an application to teach! At the School of NURSING where I obtained my RN!!
I was subtly trying to tell you in my last comment how easy it is to become a bitter person when faced with the future of being the caregiver to someone close to you that needs 24 hour care. Obviously, since you know everything-well, you've probably already self-diagnosed yourself haven't you. Now YOU- are exhibiting CLASSIC, textbook symptoms.

sandy

i seriously think there is something really wrong with you. if you are in nursing it is scary. my husbands sister is a nurse that handles cases such as this actually..interesting you are unaware of your profession. bitter, are you crazy. and yes i do know this subject just as much as any professional. do you think someone can sit and observe x-rays of the brain for years and sit with neurosurgeons for years, and other professionals without knowing exactly what they are hearing and talking about to make decisions to be made in this critical situation. from your post i suggest you not stay in this postion if you are a nurse, from your comments peoples lives in your hands are at serious risks. please put your application in as a secretary. ha, if is amazing how much you can learn quick when you are faced with "deciding" what will be done and direct the doctors to do so. my husband did not have an anuerysm..from the time that has passed, no way, no how do i believe Bret had one either. any questions

twilightmom

Yes, you may be able to "go into any room and discuss with any surgeon in the USA", but boy let me tell you what those Dr.'s (esp. surgeons, since they think they are God) are thinking that you are a twit. A Dr.'s favorite saying about someone like YOU, "a little knowledge is dangerous". Dr.'s absolutely despise know-it-alls like you.
Not every person is The SAME. In ANYTHING, what part of that do you not understand?
And the term "textbook case" is nothing insulting at all. All it means is the pt has EVERY symptom known to occur with a certain disease or disorder. How many people with strep throat have you ever seen break out in a rash? My daughter had a "textbook case" of strep while I was in NS. She had broken out in a rash, her throat was cherry red, and she had petecchiae on her uvula.

LA Native

OK< everyone take a deep breath, relax and pray for this mans life. Please stop arguing, it's wasted energy. OMMMMMMMMMMMMM

sandy

stop informing the public of your nonsense. get out of the medical field, which I know by your comments and lack of knowledge of the brain stem, you are not in. really, physicians followed my direction to do what i wanted done. their prognosis was so grime it was unreal. they are amazed at the progress of their patient that had two cranitomy operations. it was not their medical opinions that saved a life fool. what doctors think about someone like me, is "thank god for those that will take the chance at life", instead of those that say "no, let nature take its course, and do nothing", which means DIE. I again never said my husband needs 24 hour care, those that saw him at the beginning and that has seen him now, including doctors are astounded. no way, no how, are you a nurse of any kind, even a nurses aide. shut the hell up now. He was in a nursing home fool, he is no where near in the condition he was in, and it wasnt the doctors that got him out of there, according to everyone he was remaining there. i would love you to meet him, you would be so ashamed of yourself. doctors truly are actually grateful to people like me, not what you describe which is so shameless i feel sorry for even the people that have any association with you whatsoever

sandy

this is no arguement, one has fact, one is saying crazy statements that would shock anyone that has any real understanding of this subject. doctors think i am a twit, really, they taught me everything i know about the brain. i guess we are all twits to you. figures with your simple education you say you have as a RN. I never said what my education is hon. you are so so much an embarrasment to the profession and human race. go away, go talk to yo-yo, or clown, whoever was writing looney statements here, that appears to be your language.