Freddy Krueger

Good Genes

or Good Docs?

5/2/2010 4:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Freddy Krueger has got killer looks.

Here's the disfigured razor-sharp character back when he starred in the original 1984 film "A Nightmare on Elm Street" (left) -- and 26 years later, the 2010 version in the new remake (right).

He's dreamy.

Krystal

don't go see this it sucks. New Freddy has too deep of a voice and doesn't have the humor of the original Robert Englund. I see why he wasn't even part of this production. Rent the original and save money.

Krystal

OMG DO NOT GO SEE THIS MOVIE IT IS A NIGHTMARE (literally) it sucks. It is more like a praody on SNL. The voice is rediculous no humor like the original. Sleep mode is what u see if u go and see it.

Tyranny4U

Meh. For all you whinging lil titty bits. I remember seeing the '84 version at the cinema as a youn'un. I laughed then as I laughed now. The only thing for me, is separating the actors. I just found out who and why Jackie Earl Haley looked so familiar to me in Watchmen and when I discovered that he had, in fact, earned my childhood adulation in the original The Bad News Bears and Breaking Away, well then my pre-pubescent knickers became untwisted and beyond! (okay, now, not so much. But then?!)
I've always wondered what happened to him and it's quite nice to see his comeback.
As for who is the better? I would rather lean towards Mr. Englund as he made Krueger into an iconic character but as proven by Mr. Haley's turn, such an iconic character can be portrayed by different actors and with different results.
One thing I have to say about the SFX-makeup on the new Fred (yeah, that was his name in 1984), he looks more like Volger, one of Lecter's surviving victims in Hannibal.
I've seen both films, although I chortled my way through both. I'm still on the fence about whom being the best.

Tyranny4U

Oh, I meant to add that at the rebellious age of 19, my father forced me to have a dermabrasion (pre-laser) to remove a forearm tattoo. Over the years, I've seen repulsion and curious question of if I've been a burn victim.
So, with that said and comparing my now hidden scar, I find that the new SFX version of Freddie Krueger to be more realistic to a burn victim than the original.

TheUltraworld

The old Freddy is much scarier. Better actor too

john

new freddie sucks he looks like old freddie about to shed.

Jason W

I like the original one better. Looks better.... The new one is weak.

Lisa

The new freddy looks like a retard. LMAO

Larry

The new one is ok. Original is by far superior

Baron Ross

i think the new freddy played good in the movie i loved it im going to see it again...

kwiz

i think the new freddy sucks balls..he looks stupid..no-one could replace the original..he aint even scary(ohhh yeah and the movie sucks too)

Evelyn

I went and saw this movie over the weekend. The original was one of the first movies I had ever gone to the drive ins to see, and Robert Englund literally gave me nightmares for years after. None of them as scary as the original. I understand that with "The Freddy" role in 1984, Robert Englund had succomb to Hollywood typecasting and had fell sick of Freddy over the years, but that face and voice not to mention the attitude was the eeerie hair on the back of my neck recipe for these movies. I hated the new Freddy, I didnt like the storyline, the acting, and it was terribly hard for me to get used to this new voice, (that sounds like its under a pillow, and this face that is hottibly undefined. The original (Englund) had the beaty eyes, the messed up teeth under thinner lips, that long curled nose, and that quick wit, and physicality. This new Freddy was full of slowly moving acting scenes filled with lines that were intended to be scary, but just imposter! I have never unenjoyed the remake of a movie as much as this one. We were super excited, were expecting a new kind of Elm Street for a new generation... we were let down... It all kind of reminded me of how in the late 80's early 90's kids and teenagers would dress up on Halloween to see who could look more like Freddy (this was the it thing for Halloween) and you would find half assed, last minute, excuses for a costume with the signature striped sweater. THAT was exactly what this movie brought to the table... minimal special effects- wierd choice of scenes re-enacted from the first- TERRIBLE FREDDY KRUEGER!!! Bring ROBERT ENGLUND BACK PLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEE!!!!!!!!

Evelyn

Bougie27406

To be honest...... the new Freddy is a mess, Robert is the only one that can be him. He looks like the actorss that played in "The Man Without a Face mixed w/ Mask combined... He is not even scary, they have to do better with the makeup and the wordrobe!

Davidestill@hotmail.com

The new one looks like someone who was saved from a fire, I know a guy who looks almost exactly like that. He's one of the nicest guys I've met, its a horrible thing; anyway I saw the remake today and it wasn't bad.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments