Chely Wright -- She's Coming Out

5/2/2010 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned the big "coming out" announcement planned for this week will be ... country star Chely Wright.

There's been a big buzz over the last week as to which celeb was announcing he/she was gay ... we knew it was going to be unveiled in PEOPLE mag next week.  But now TMZ knows for sure.

Wright has a book coming out this week as well -- it's called, "Like Me."  And she has a CD coming out too -- called "Lifted Off the Ground."

The 39-year-old singer scored a #1 country song back in 1999 with "Single White Female," when she was named Academy of Country Music new artist of the year.

Wright is the first major country artist ever to come out.  She has been romantically linked to a number of celebs, including Brad Paisley.

This is a big deal in the country world.  Chely is rolling the dice on her career ... it's unclear how traditionally-conservative country fans will react.

Interesting ... she lists Howard Bragman as her publicist, who was the mastermind behind the Chaz Bono story.

Mystery solved.

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

brian

Chely Wright? LOL. I think that Brad Paisley is over her. You know, with the kids of the lovely and successful wife. If she wants to be out thats fine, but she doesn't have to throw Brad Paisley and John Rich under the bus. I means she is the one that lied herself. I vaguely remember who she is, she doesn't look near as good as she did ten years ago, but then again she is getting old. I guess she figured she couldn't use the looks she used to have to be noticed by the country music crowd anymore. She is going to try the Indigo Girls audience now.

leslieJ

Aggghhh, I just cant stand it anymore being locked up inside-I have to tell the world...Im a heterosexual.
Wow, that feels so good to let it out. I dont have to hide my "true self" any longer. I can be ME!

PJT

WOW! you must have watched ELLEN too... good onya TMZ, old news!

Jenna S.

Ms Wright, I think you are one of the few real talents in the world today. Don't let anyone say you are wrong in you're feelings or in your comming out.

jz

I'm not concerned about whether she's straight or gay, I'm concerned about her utter self-absorption and lack of respect for her former partners. It is utterly classless to describe intimate details about former partners, especially when they now are happily married with children. There was no reason to give such specific and intimate details about her sex life with Brad Paisley except that she was trying to pump up her story for book sales since is one of the most powerful (and respected) men in country music. This woman's lack of character saddens me and I wouldn't think she would be someone that the gay and lesbian community would want as a representative.

greg

the fact is she realy didn't have anything to lose at this point in her career which reached its height in the late 90's and then went quickly downhill Chely Wright she had her 15 minutes and now she is pretty much Irrelevant in the country world with so many pretty girl country singers out there who are straight . all i have to say good riddance you were never a superstar in country you just had a few hits and then disappeared. like most musical artists these days.

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17